knife-fi?
May 31, 2008 at 7:52 PM Post #107 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_Himself /img/forum/go_quote.gif
is anyone into knives? nothing is manlier than a knife collection... except for illegal fireworks and guns.

i recently started getting into folding knives, i have an SOG Flash II and just won a kershaw leek off of ebay. these two knives are the closest things to a legal switchblade. depending on your state/city, youll actually be able to carry it on your persons all day. i know i do, ive been pulled over with some friends and ive said "im carrying a knife which im allowed to carry by the state" and he looked at it and gave my friend his well deserved speeding ticket. its clipped onto my pocket all day and i dont even notice it until i need it.

i know we've all come into a situation where a knife would have come in handy. i use mine to open boxes, letters, fight bears, and more recently, prepare firewood for bonfires

Kershaw Leek
SOG Flash 2

Hey,

I always carry a knife with me. They come in handy a often.

My Gerber has a swing out blade that is spring loaded and takes over self-opening after it is about 25% of the way open. My Benchmade can swing open by centripetal force when I flick my wrist the right way. I carry one of these daily.

I also have a Wayne Goddard Micarta Spyderco (rare) and a couple of CRKT Desert Storm commemoratives. I was going to give my brother one since he served in Operation Desert Storm, but he got in trouble with the law a couple of years ago and I wont send him the knife. I'll give it to my brother-in-law instead, as he also served our country back then.

You don't even want to know about my 5-6 sword canes.
eek.gif

May 31, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #108 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by gshan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm still very shallow (feet-deep, maybe?
biggrin.gif
) into the knife-fi world, but so far I've managed to pick up the Boker Wharcom and Benchmade Griptilian Mini (Doug Ritter edition) for daily carry.

Just noticed that my Benchmade Griptillian is the Mel Pardue version, which has been my daily carry for a few years now.

Jun 1, 2008 at 10:11 PM Post #109 of 2,248
Hey guys, there's no age restriction to buying knives, is there? Bad enough I'm denied from purchasing a handgun until I'm 21...
frown.gif

Also, has anybody had any experience with the KA-BAR Mule knife series?

KA-BAR KNIVES FOLDERS

Kind of obvious why I'm interested in the Mule series, no?
wink.gif

EDIT: Woah crap, the thing unfolded is about 6 inches already, and deployed is 9 inches...that was way bigger than I thought.

Jun 4, 2008 at 1:16 AM Post #111 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMarchingMule /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, there's no age restriction to buying knives, is there? Bad enough I'm denied from purchasing a handgun until I'm 21...
frown.gif

I live in Massachusetts where you have to be 18 to buy a knife (at least according to the store owner who wouldn't let me buy one a few years ago).

In any case, I have a Benchmade Mini-Griptillian. I really like the overall size and feel of the knife. Also, I absolutely love the axis lock. It is hands down the best locking mechanism I've ever seen or used on a folding knife. If there weren't so many other great knives by other manufacturers, I would never buy another knife without an axis lock.

Jun 4, 2008 at 2:49 AM Post #112 of 2,248
I posted a mobile phone camera photo of the CQC9 before, but thought I'd post a better photo taken with a new camera I've been practicing with.

[size=xx-small]Click on photo for larger version.[/size]

Of the many knives I have, these three oldies but goodies are still my current favorites to carry (not all at once). From top to bottom:
  1. Benchmade AFCK. This is an early version of this knife. I have a couple of other versions of it, one identical to the one in the photo but with a broken tip, and a black-bladed version. The AFCK was designed by one of my closest friends, C.J. Caracci, for Benchmade. With its flat-ground blade, the AFCK cuts very efficiently, especially at its belly, where the grind starts from very near the spine. I like this knife an awful lot for a number of reasons.
  2. Ernest Emerson SPECWAR CQC-9 Eagle (custom). I believe C.J. Caracci had a hand in helping Ernie design the CQC-9 Eagle. It has a rather full handle, and really fills the hand. Received as a gift, the CQC-9 Eagle is one of my absolute favorites, and sees a lot of use.
  3. Benchmade Stryker. Designed by Allen Elishewitz for Benchmade (I do not personally know Elishewitz), I picked this one up because I liked the way the handle feels in my hand, and the way it looks.
As is obvious from the photo, I didn't take the time to clean the blades before I took these photos--I was just practicing with the new camera.

Another oldie but goodie I carry somewhat regularly is an original Spyderco Wayne Goddard model (C-16). An absolute production classic, I just love how thin the C-16 is, and will post a photo of it soon.

b.gif

Jun 4, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #113 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by dBel84 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have always been fascinated by knives and although I own a few, I only ever use my trusty wenger. I did have a go at making myself one some time ago. I was diving frequently and wanted a decent knife so I enlisted the knowledge of my brother in law and came up with this after many hours of hard labour.

scuba.jpg

I don't think I would do it again, mostly because I am not a craftsman and the novelty wore off as the blisters hardened :).

My BIL is a jeweler by trade and making knives is akin to me building amps.

Here are a few of his early pieces

This is an automatic that he spent months researching and figuring out the mechanism - once the button is activated, it opens in a slow continuous arc until it locks. If you stop its course, it will continue when you remove your hand again - truly incredible to mess about with.

automatic.jpg

one more.. a skein dubh he made for a friend

skeindubh.jpg

cool thread..dB

I think these knives are awesome. I get kind of tired of the 'tactical-looking' stuff after a while.

Jun 4, 2008 at 4:21 AM Post #114 of 2,248
My EDC is currently Ritter Mini-Grip and Boker Subclaw.

The Subclaw has seen a lot more use than the Mini-Grip, because it is the best package opener I've ever used. Eats blister packs for lunch, and is great for delicate cutting with the hooked blade, it has less of a chance to "wander" on a straight cut on smooth surfaces.

-Ed

Jun 4, 2008 at 11:26 PM Post #115 of 2,248
I’ve been looking at these 2 custom knives and hope they sell before I make up my mind.

This one is about 9 inches long and 1/4 inch thick:

attachment.php

This is about the same length with Walrus Ivory for the handle:

attachment.php

Mitch

Jun 5, 2008 at 8:08 PM Post #116 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I posted a mobile phone camera photo of the CQC9 before, but thought I'd post a better photo taken with a new camera I've been practicing with.

[size=xx-small]Click on photo for larger version.[/size]

Of the many knives I have, these three oldies but goodies are still my current favorites to carry (not all at once). From top to bottom:
  1. Benchmade AFCK. This is an early version of this knife. I have a couple of other versions of it, one identical to the one in the photo but with a broken tip, and a black-bladed version. The AFCK was designed by one of my closest friends, C.J. Caracci, for Benchmade. With its flat-ground blade, the AFCK cuts very efficiently, especially at its belly, where the grind starts from very near the spine. I like this knife an awful lot for a number of reasons.
  2. Ernest Emerson SPECWAR CQC-9 Eagle (custom). I believe C.J. Caracci had a hand in helping Ernie design the CQC-9 Eagle. It has a rather full handle, and really fills the hand. Received as a gift, the CQC-9 Eagle is one of my absolute favorites, and sees a lot of use.
  3. Benchmade Stryker. Designed by Allen Elishewitz for Benchmade (I do not personally know Elishewitz), I picked this one up because I liked the way the handle feels in my hand, and the way it looks.
As is obvious from the photo, I didn't take the time to clean the blades before I took these photos--I was just practicing with the new camera.

Another oldie but goodie I carry somewhat regularly is an original Spyderco Wayne Goddard model (C-16). An absolute production classic, I just love how thin the C-16 is, and will post a photo of it soon.

b.gif

God I wish they still made the AFCK. It's such a gorgeous knife, but I'd only buy one if I could find it brand new. Hopefully they'll come out with them again some day.

Jun 5, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #117 of 2,248
I lost my 4 year old Benchmade Griptilian (sp) today. It was in my rear pocket when I left the house, gone when I got back. Searched the car, nowhere to be found, too many places it could be...
frown.gif

Jun 6, 2008 at 11:16 PM Post #120 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I lost my 4 year old Benchmade Griptilian (sp) today. It was in my rear pocket when I left the house, gone when I got back. Searched the car, nowhere to be found, too many places it could be...
frown.gif

Sorry to hear that, what are you going to replace it with?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back