knife-fi?
Mar 27, 2008 at 2:21 AM Post #91 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see the point of an automatic, other than having to deploy a knife really fast upside down and tied down or something. Otherwise, I can flick open my Benchmade nearly as fast.

X2, unless we merely wish to pay more for our knives, attract unwanted attention, and incur criminal charges.

Mar 27, 2008 at 7:27 AM Post #92 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't really see the point of an automatic, other than having to deploy a knife really fast upside down and tied down or something. Otherwise, I can flick open my Benchmade nearly as fast. Closing the knife doesn't have to be as fast as deploying, IMO.

-Ed

The Axis flick is almost as fast and the Wave is arguably faster, but autos still have an advantage in that they don't require anything else to open except for the push of a button. The Axis flick requires wrist inertia and a bit of space, while the Wave requires a specific draw movement plus something to get friction off of. Both are a lot easier to screw up under stress than pushing a button. Plus, automatic mechanisms are great for quickly deploying small blades that don't have enough blade mass to reliably deploy using an inertial opening.

But yeah, EDCing an auto isn't a great idea given the laws in most states.

Mar 28, 2008 at 4:32 AM Post #93 of 2,248
Well, since this thread is back on the front page again, I'll post an update on my journey into knives costing more than $7.
tongue.gif

My Byrd Starling and my Delica both arrived a good while ago, although I fear my Kershaw Chive has become lost in transit. I wasn't as impressed by either of them as I thought I would be, to be honest. I'm not sure what exactly I expected, but they weren't it.

However, both knives have really grown on me. I haven't found much of a use for my Delica, but I really appreciate the build quality and the feel of the knife. It's fun to play with, and I hope I can find something to do with it soon.

My Starling has been a different matter entirely. The build quality actually feels pretty shabby, even compared to my cheapie Ultrafire knives that cost half as much, and the blade coating is wearing off already. But I love it! The blade is razor sharp, and the size of the knife is incredibly convenient; I use it all the time.

If that Kershaw doesn't show up in the next couple of weeks, I'm definitely going to get a Spyderco Ladybug to carry with me. I love the size and can handle the lack of a clip, but I'd like to have something that feels a bit sturdier.

Mar 28, 2008 at 10:19 AM Post #94 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Axis flick is almost as fast and the Wave is arguably faster, but autos still have an advantage in that they don't require anything else to open except for the push of a button. The Axis flick requires wrist inertia and a bit of space, while the Wave requires a specific draw movement plus something to get friction off of. Both are a lot easier to screw up under stress than pushing a button. Plus, automatic mechanisms are great for quickly deploying small blades that don't have enough blade mass to reliably deploy using an inertial opening.

But yeah, EDCing an auto isn't a great idea given the laws in most states.

I think California allows auto's under 2", but not a very useful size.

May 20, 2008 at 11:28 PM Post #95 of 2,248
I love knives. Right now I have a Benchmade 710 in D2 steel and I just ordered a Kershaw Leek with a Damascus blade. I love how damascus looks.

Here's my 710:

I also got my mom a Benchmite to carry in her purse.

May 21, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #97 of 2,248
2510545528_baf5b1af8e.jpg

A small gathering from the fishing tackle box and my pocket.
Most look like they need a clean and sharpen before the fish start running.
smily_headphones1.gif

May 25, 2008 at 4:22 AM Post #100 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by jfindon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Got my Leek today. I recommend GPknives.com if anyone hasn't used them before.

DSCN7412.jpg

I used Grand Prairie to snag this:
DSC00595.jpg

The last one they had in this style. Also is my dream knife. Nothing like a Microtech.

May 29, 2008 at 3:03 AM Post #101 of 2,248
I have a Buck (locking..? I forget what they're called) and I'm too lazy to check the model. It's nothing special, I got it at SportMart or something a few years ago. It's very useful and works great but it's been awhile since I've sharpened it. What do you all recommend for cheap effective ways to sharpen? It is half serrated.

May 29, 2008 at 3:46 AM Post #102 of 2,248
I have always been fascinated by knives and although I own a few, I only ever use my trusty wenger. I did have a go at making myself one some time ago. I was diving frequently and wanted a decent knife so I enlisted the knowledge of my brother in law and came up with this after many hours of hard labour.

scuba.jpg

I don't think I would do it again, mostly because I am not a craftsman and the novelty wore off as the blisters hardened :).

My BIL is a jeweler by trade and making knives is akin to me building amps.

Here are a few of his early pieces

This is an automatic that he spent months researching and figuring out the mechanism - once the button is activated, it opens in a slow continuous arc until it locks. If you stop its course, it will continue when you remove your hand again - truly incredible to mess about with.

automatic.jpg

one more.. a skein dubh he made for a friend

skeindubh.jpg

cool thread..dB

May 30, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #103 of 2,248
Suggestions for a cheap knife (all purpose) that will last for a while and handle tough work? I want a good knife to have with my while I am landscaping but don't want to pay for something if it will just dull and break quickly.

May 30, 2008 at 9:30 PM Post #104 of 2,248
Quote:

Originally Posted by malldian /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Suggestions for a cheap knife (all purpose) that will last for a while and handle tough work? I want a good knife to have with my while I am landscaping but don't want to pay for something if it will just dull and break quickly.

If you are prying stuff open then look elsewhere. A good cheap knife? check out CRKT or Kershaw. You can get them around $50 or so for a decent one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back