knife-fi?
Aug 23, 2014 at 4:30 PM Post #1,743 of 2,248
  not bad, but the sides of the bottom 3 don't look so good, and i swear the very last knife has nicks in the middle.

I get the impression those are knives that actually get used. (The FRN one in the back just looks like it's been used on tape, nothing bad - and I think the "chips" on the front blade are a function of the photograph, not the blade). 

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:49 PM Post #1,744 of 2,248
I get the impression those are knives that actually get used. (The FRN one in the back just looks like it's been used on tape, nothing bad - and I think the "chips" on the front blade are a function of the photograph, not the blade). 

Makes sense (the knives being used), but I have no idea how a camera could make the blade look like that. Maybe it doesn't catch the light due to a difference in angles.

Aug 23, 2014 at 4:59 PM Post #1,745 of 2,248
It's the blade that is down on the surface - there could be a lot going on there...the steel on those isn't prone to chipping like that. *shrug*

Storms today, so I don't have any good natural light to work with, but here are some bad cell phone pics of some newer acquisitions. I also have two new custom friction folders (a Daniel Fairly Titanium, and a custom higonokami with hammered copper from Shelby Mihalevich - but I'll have to grab pictures of them later.)

New and customized Spyderco - Vallotton Sub Hilt, Bead blasted Hungarian, and Southard with custom carbon scales and STR deep carry clip. 

Traditionals - Hartkopf Solingen camp knife with ebony scales, and a GEC #92 Eureka Jack, in black/white buffalo horn. 

Aug 23, 2014 at 5:16 PM Post #1,746 of 2,248
Eh - I had a minute. 

Daniel Fairly Titanium Friction folder (carbidized chisel edge) and Shelby Mihalevich higo with damascus and hammered copper.

And a Boker Kwaiken with titanium heat colored scales, and Benchmade 940-1 (S90V and carbon fiber, and custom deep carry heat blued titanium clip). 

Sep 8, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,747 of 2,248
New custom fixed blade from Leif Lambertson - W2 with hamon, and almond burl handles (carbon fiber pins, and a hidden lanyard recess) - not my picture yet, but I have the knife in hand, and it's a beauty. 

Sep 26, 2014 at 3:09 PM Post #1,748 of 2,248

For giggles bunch of blades I grabbed around the house.

Cheap, dispensable Bahco mora - actually useful and used tool
EKA folder - more of a toy
Mushroom knife - life necessity
Victorinox Manager - too small to be very useful, but just fine as a keychain EDC
Victorinox Spirit X - look at that thing, as beautiful as it is useful

Oct 19, 2014 at 12:28 AM Post #1,749 of 2,248
2014 BF Traditional forum knife. "Stag Jack" - turned out to be a beauty. 

I've also, apparently, been unconsciously collecting Carbon fiber... Just a quick grab of the ones I noticed gathering in my drawer. (the Southard with the custom CF scale is my most commonly carried modern).

Oct 21, 2014 at 10:20 AM Post #1,750 of 2,248
Ended up selling the Carbon fiber CRK. I just wasn't carrying it, and couldn't justify having it sitting around. Swapped it for a vintage (60s) Omega Automatic 565. 

Oct 21, 2014 at 2:55 PM Post #1,752 of 2,248
When it arrives, certainly. :) I also swapped a couple vintage slip-joints (John Primble, and Schrade Walden) for a mid 50's Bulova. Also en-route.

Oct 27, 2014 at 2:38 PM Post #1,753 of 2,248
Here's the 1954 Bulova. Omega is coming from overseas, so it's a bit unpredictable. 

And since this is a knife sub-group, here it is with a period buddy. A mid 50's Schrade Walden 702 serpentine jack. 

Oct 27, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #1,755 of 2,248
I have an affinity for Becker knives.  Here is my latest Becker, a BK15, after stripping the black coating and electro-etching the logo:

Here is the whole family for KaBar/Beckers:

Top to bottom: BK9, BK2, BK15, KaBar Necker, BK14

They see some use
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back