knife-fi?
Nov 13, 2013 at 3:38 AM Post #1,621 of 2,248
It's mainly for cutting cardboard boxes and tapes.  I'm looking for a good quality one costing around $100.  Benchmade Mini Griptilian fits the bill but I haven't found a dealer here.  

Nov 14, 2013 at 1:26 PM Post #1,622 of 2,248
For that purpose (assuming one handed opening as well) I'd look at spyderco - something like the Stretch in ZDP-189 wouldn't require as much sharpening (cardboard wears on a blade). 

You might have issues finding any such knife in AUS though - I seem to recall some weirdness surrounding the knife laws. 

Dec 5, 2013 at 5:08 PM Post #1,623 of 2,248
Hey guys, I was thinking of getting my mom a knife sharpener for Christmas. Any good recommendations/brands to look into? I'm thinking <$50, and needs to be super super simple. Like seriously, can't be more complicated than a "pull it through a slot" kind of thing.

I'm more of a stone'n'hone kind of guy, but my folks need something simpler and quicker than that.

Dec 5, 2013 at 10:41 PM Post #1,624 of 2,248
Those ruin knives...

But if you must, a Wurstuff or victorinox should do nicly.
http://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Precision-Stage-Knife-Sharpener/dp/B003TWNZ08/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1386301164&sr=8-9&keywords=knife+sharpener

Dec 7, 2013 at 10:37 AM Post #1,625 of 2,248
If you think there might be a slight chance they would be more competent than just "pull it through a slot" *shudder*

Then you might look into one of the stick sharpeners. They are a huge improvement in that they won't damage the knives, and can actually maintain an edge. 

There are many at different price points, but just the basic lansky isn't bad for the money. (Spyderco sharpmaker is great, but much more expensive. 

http://www.amazon.com/Lansky-4-rod-Crock-Sharpener-LCD5D/dp/B000B8FW0E

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:18 PM Post #1,626 of 2,248
  If you think there might be a slight chance they would be more competent than just "pull it through a slot" *shudder*

Not a chance... my mom doesn't have the patience, and dad has about as much finesse as a buffalo on a tightrope.

I'm almost thinking rather than get them a sharpener, I should just buy a proper stone and do the sharpening for them.

Dec 7, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #1,627 of 2,248

I'm almost thinking rather than get them a sharpener, I should just buy a proper stone and do the sharpening for them.

That's what I was thinking. A "gift certificate" for a free sharpening (done by you) each year, would make a nice stocking stuffer. 

Dec 9, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #1,629 of 2,248
Mail me whatever you need to sharpen, just cover shipping and I'll make you right. I have pretty much anything and everything. I prefer to use the Wicked Edge system, but when I freehand I work up to the King Japanese water stones which are like 2000 grit if I'm not mistaken. Sharpening is just as much of a hobby as the knives themselves.

Dec 9, 2013 at 1:56 PM Post #1,630 of 2,248
  Mail me whatever you need to sharpen, just cover shipping and I'll make you right. I have pretty much anything and everything. I prefer to use the Wicked Edge system, but when I freehand I work up to the King Japanese water stones which are like 2000 grit if I'm not mistaken. Sharpening is just as much of a hobby as the knives themselves.

If I lived in the US that might make sense... but double cross border shipping would practically cost more than the knives themselves at this point.

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:17 AM Post #1,631 of 2,248

If I lived in the US that might make sense... but double cross border shipping would practically cost more than the knives themselves at this point.

I could use USPS first class, but it's ok

Dec 10, 2013 at 4:09 AM Post #1,632 of 2,248
Thanks for the offer, but I don't think their knives aren't actually worth enough to justify getting properly sharpened. I wound up getting them a not-bottom-of-the-barrel pull through sharpener. $50 on sale for $30 up here (which would probably be $20 in the US). I figure that's good enough for the time being to just bring their knives up to serviceable level.

I tried to show my mom something like the spyderco but she just kinda jumped back "no no... too complicated"
rolleyes.gif

Dec 12, 2013 at 5:29 PM Post #1,633 of 2,248
My most recent knife purchases: Busse Team Gemini, Chris Reeves Large Sebenza 25 and a DLC Dark Earth Hinderer XM-18.

Dec 14, 2013 at 1:19 AM Post #1,635 of 2,248
I've been on a traditionals kick - new GEC electrician, Diamond Jack, and Radio knife, along with a really pretty vintage Hartkopf 3 blade in buffalo horn... And at long last, the 2013 Forum knife. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back