knife-fi?
Dec 20, 2011 at 7:26 PM Post #1,096 of 2,251

Quote:
Look at Busse. They have a bunch of sizes. Infi is some crazy steel.

Yup.

All I see at their site one 10"~ blade. I saw an XM18 not too long ago--now I understand your enthusiasm for Hinderer--but the price.

Chris, I had to google ESEE--The 4 and 5 look good, and the coating probably solves most issues with carbon steel.

Dec 20, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #1,097 of 2,251
Busse does small things too. I almost picked up a little fixie, the Sar 3. Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d935AXyOCnw . What size are you looking for? Liu Kang, a dealer on the JD, has am obscene collection of Busses for sale (priced a bit higher than I'd like...but hes got models you'd be hard pressed to find elsewhere).

And yea, I'd like a Hinderer sometime, I'm having trouble justifying a $500 knife already, I'm not sure if I'm ready to take the leap into something a bit more expensive. Haha.

Dec 21, 2011 at 3:14 AM Post #1,099 of 2,251

Quote:

Yup.

All I see at their site one 10"~ blade. I saw an XM18 not too long ago--now I understand your enthusiasm for Hinderer--but the price.

Chris, I had to google ESEE--The 4 and 5 look good, and the coating probably solves most issues with carbon steel.

Hmm two more brands:

I like Hogue's 5.5" fixed blade especially in that coyote tan handle

I also like TOPS for fixed blades, I completely forgot I'm in love with their stuff!

TOPS is a super tactical brand of fixed blades with an incredibly diverse catalog, I literally think they have over 100 designs available and they're all uber high end (not that expensive for a collector either)

Dec 23, 2011 at 5:38 AM Post #1,101 of 2,251

Quote:
^ What are your latest impressions of the Umnumzaan vs sng? 

At the end of the day if you use your knives for really tough cutting tasks beyond paper, plastic wrap, and maybe a box top... I think the Strider will come out on top. I'm a college student so as unmanly as it is to admit, my requirements are probably fulfilled by a simple Spyderco Endura. Something that is easy to open/close for really mundane tasks is probably better for a CRK. Thats why I'm into balisongs since in between doing simple tasks, I can at least play with them.

I use a knife on a cutting board to cut the wires for the cables I make too since clippers get dull relatively quick compared to decent blade steel.

The thumbstud on the Zaan requires some adjustment to get used to and can only be done with an ungloved right hand, I can deploy a Strider left or right handed with a thumb or index flick using the thumbhole wearing mechanic's gloves. They require break-in since the fitment is done by hand so the parts have to marry each other for the long haul vs Chris Reeve knives which are perfect out of the box.

Umnumzaan:
No break-in
Smooth action
Great clip (double retention bends)
Quiet
Slim
Glass breaker tang
Thin slicer (think fruit)

Strider SnG/SMF:
Ergonomics inspire comfortable hard use
Fast
Better traction for self defense
Don't have to worry about marring a finish since they're not really good looking knives
No questions asked lifetime warranty and service covering anything short of abuse
Cool factor (The average CRK sells on the market unused or in like-new condition, the average Strider has seen months of use before it gets sold back) CR owners can be kind of frilly on one side of the spectrum, the actual users appreciate the knife for what it is though :)

Both are horrid in the fact that they need a specialized tool to break them down, the Sebenza is caveman easy using the included allen wrench, the Zaan has a 14 dollar breakdown tool, the Strider isn't mean to be taken apart by end users and the pivot is already loctited from the factory... a 60 dollar pivot wrench is available but thats a joke.

OR 

You could wait for the new Zero Tolerance 0560 to come out, but it's been delayed for months already... falling back on a commitment to a deadline is bad business and Kershaw won't be getting any of my money until they fix their policy about deadlines. Benchmade makes a new knife every month and announces it a week before release and there is never short supply of anything, even their Gold class knives are made in batches of 250 to 500!

Dec 23, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #1,102 of 2,251
Great write up--I think you've covered most points. 

The main question in my mind on the CRK would be its "old style" form factor and how it handles slippage under pressure (not that it is necessarily deficient). In the end I probably need to have it in hand, and run it through some exercises. 

Checking out the blade forums for the past couple of days, its plain that I'm not a typical knife user. Now that I'm not hunting or fishing anymore, below is what I use for 98% of non-kitchen knife use, and have them stashed everywhere. All I've done recently with my ZT0350s is practicing with my training partner. 

The latter is probably why I gravitate to higher quality blades, although living in a tee shirt environment, I'd probably be well equipped with a Spyderco paramilitary. Still with folders, bone contact is the most likely worst case scenario. In that sense, I hear you about the hard use ergonomics of Striders handles. Too bad Striders quality does not come closer to CRK, that would be my main issue. Yeah, I'm pretty detail oriented with these types of toys.

Anyway I'm looking for a small pack knife for long hikes, and now, replacements for my 0350s. 

Dec 26, 2011 at 6:12 PM Post #1,103 of 2,251
Shun DM0706 (and Pinkie Pie).

60833189727565593316.jpg

Dec 28, 2011 at 3:57 AM Post #1,105 of 2,251
So I've been laying into this Umnumzaan and you really have to inspect that perfect lockup... I broke it in on all the cardboard boxes from all my Christmas presents and USPS boxes from customers haha...it won't sink in any further than that due to the ceramic ball at the end of the lockbar being harder than the steel it makes contact with :)

I'm going to sell my RS-2's (not in picture, those are Magnums in RS-2 shells) to maybe buy a large Sebenza and see which one I truly enjoy more. Anything without owning both at the same time feels like blind speculation to me since the last time I owned one was in March.

Quote:
Shun DM0706 (and Pinkie Pie).

60833189727565593316.jpg

BRONIES RULE

Dec 30, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #1,107 of 2,251
This is what I got, a Paramilitary 2. Am super happy with it but have reservations about the top lock. That mainly because I grip with a high thumb, a habit  picked up learning how to swing a hammer, and one I wish I changed when there was still a chance, but too late now. 

Still thinking about picking up a CRK, and decided on the Sebenza over the Umnum mainly due to the simpler take down. 

Finally found Liu Kang's forum and that's another option, but dayam--the prices. Otoh there's a bone handled SAR3 I was about to jump on, but no paypal.

Dec 31, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #1,108 of 2,251
I've got a Kershaw Clash, Cold Steel Recon 1 , CRKT M16, KA Bar, and a Cold Steel Magnum Machete :)

Jan 1, 2012 at 5:22 AM Post #1,110 of 2,251

Quote:
I put a deposit on a blue M390 Para 2. One for carrying; one for cutting (heh).

Good man!

You gotta buy a third one to sell back whenever you're low on cash... although I derno if you have that problem like I do rofl

Users who are viewing this thread

Back