Klipsch X7i vs Etymotics HF3, sound quality + durability
May 25, 2013 at 11:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

IEM hunter

New Head-Fier
I had a pair of Etymotics HF2, which I had a love and hate relationship with.

Sound-wise I loved them. I listen to NYC Punk (Television, Pati Smith to the Ramones), alternative, and jazz (Parker, Monk, etc.).

I also loved the level of sound isolation—I commute through some noisy spaces.

The hate part had to do with:
1. Ouch those things hurt at first, but I think my ears are now adjusted to the Etymotics ear invasion.
2. First pair had wire issues (short near the jack) even with very careful treatment.
3. Second pair had separation issues, with the ear piece back becoming detached (a little crazy glue fixed it, but I feel the build quality is lacking). 
4. I have waxy ears and need to replace those little green things about ever 6 months. Etymotics sells them fairly cheap, but charges more for shipping them than the cost of the filters! I find that obnoxious.

My Etymotics HF2 lasted about 3 years before wire fatigue near the jack finally too them out—they work, but slight sifts in the wire can cause my phone to skip songs and do other odd things.

I've narrows things down to a handful of options. For this thread, I'd like to focus on my top two options: Klipsch X7i vs Etymotics HF3—how do they compare for both sound quality and durability.

May 27, 2013 at 12:36 AM Post #3 of 5
I had a brief listen to the X7. They are similar to my HF-5 in the sense that they have a thin sound.  The bass/mids/treble and sound stage are also close.  
Given a choice, I would go with the Ety's, thought they sounded slightly better.

Apr 6, 2015 at 1:43 PM Post #4 of 5
Followup...very late.

Tried the X7, but did not love the feel of them after a week. Sound was OK.

In the end, went with the H3.

They started to have problems at about 20 months old (failing jack connection) Etymotics replaced them.

Would consider the H3 again or move up the range.

Jul 3, 2015 at 1:06 AM Post #5 of 5
A little late to this thread, but I own both the X7i and the H3. Both had to be sent back and replaced within the warranty and both replacements now need to be replaced again... but this time they are out of warranty and not worth it. For however great you think the sound is, the durability isn't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back