Klipsch X5 vs. Etymotic HF5
May 14, 2009 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

RobKWithers

New Head-Fier
Hey all,

New to the forum here and you all seem to be quite informed and knowledgable.

I've done a lot of googling and searching in this forum and have seen quite a few people own the X5/X10 and the HF5's but nobody really tends to compare them.

For me I can get the X5 and the HF5's for approx the same price, and I'm not sure which to get.

I listen to mostly rock music (Old 97's, Blue Rodeo, AC/DC, Bruce Springsteen, etc...) ...to tell you the truth really anything except Rap/Hip-Hop.

I know the HF5's are flat and supposidly are more accurate than the X5's but it seems the X5's bass reproduction is better...is there truth to this or were the HF5's just not put on right?

I'm interested in both accurate (non-coloured sound) but I also like a good bass-line/tight bass, so I'm really torn.

Any comments are welcome.

Rob

May 14, 2009 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 33
Personally I would go with the PFE. IMO it beats both of those

May 14, 2009 at 5:20 PM Post #3 of 33
I currently own the Klipsch X5, but I have not heard the HF5. However, I have heard the ER4P. The X5 and ER4P have a similar flat accurate sound signature. The X5 have slightly more bass quantity than the ER4P, but the ER4P has a more transparent treble than the X5. It all comes down to personal preference.

In terms of durability, the X5 has cheap cables and a poor stress relief. I owned my X5 for about 6 months and have never taken them out of my room. The stress relief started to split on the right side a couple of days ago. Looking at the HF5, it looks more durable than the X5.

I find that the Klipsch X5 is one of the most comfortable IEM I have tried due to their gel tips. The ER4P gets uncomfortable after long periods for me if I used their tri-flange tips. Getting a seal is very easy with the X5 and ER4P. The ER4P isolates very well. The X5 is alright at isolation compared to the ER4P. Both are still good though.

Both are aesthetically pleasing, but the X5 sticks more out horizontally than the ER4P when worn. Not sure if this matters.

Again, both are great IEMs, and you can't go wrong with either one. I hope this helps.

May 14, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #4 of 33
Ah...well, I ordered some gels from Klipsch because I heard they actually fit the HF5's. Klipsch actually sent them to me free.

So, if I'm to get the HF5's I can put the Klipsch gels on them...

I've done some further reading and I read that the bass response is there and quite accurate in the HF5's but not exagerated...just accurate.

I guess what I'm saying is, if I were to put Klipsch gels on th HF5's which would be more pleasing? In the opinion of you folks...I know it's a personal thing, but up here in Canada it's quite hard to find these things.

May 14, 2009 at 7:14 PM Post #5 of 33
Unless Klipsch has improved the durability of their IEMs, I would pick up the HF5 (or maybe give the Phonak PFE a whirl. I haven't tried it personally but it seems to be a well-liked IEM in this general price point). With Klipsch gels the HF5 is one of my favorite IEMs, being comfortable, non-sibilant (the real version of non-sibilant, mind you), and accurate while having just enough bass to satisfy.

May 14, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 33
IE7 would be a good contender, although a little more. I would go for HF5 out of the two personally, but HF5 may not have enough bass for you since the Ety sound is not for everyone.

May 14, 2009 at 7:36 PM Post #7 of 33
lol...there's too MANY!
smily_headphones1.gif

May 14, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #8 of 33
Ok...thanks all. I think I'm gonna give the HF5's a try. I can get the Klipsch locally for $199CDN...so if I really decide I want more bass than the HF5's can deliver...which I pretty sure wont happen, I can pick the X5's up here in Toronto.

Rob

If there are any other comments, please continue to leave them...

May 14, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Personally I would go with the PFE. IMO it beats both of those

Which of course you state because you've tried the three of them?

May 15, 2009 at 12:35 AM Post #10 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinocelt /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which of course you state because you've tried the three of them?

Yes actually I have tried all 3. Though the Klipsch I only tried for 15 minutes at a demo in the Atlanta, Georgia airport. Was not impressed.

May 15, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #11 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott_Tarlow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes actually I have tried all 3. Though the Klipsch I only tried for 15 minutes at a demo in the Atlanta, Georgia airport. Was not impressed.

I stand corrected.

May 27, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #12 of 33
Hey all,

Just thought I'd give an update to this. I got the Etymotic HF5's, plugged them into my Cowon X5 and thought, "...jez, these don't sound too great, little tiny bass (like you folks said), mid-range not all that great, and the highs were what I would call ok".

HOWEVER, I said, damn, lets see what happens to them overnight. So I queued up my entire collection on the Cowon and just let it play at about 40% volume.

15hrs later, WOW, these things really opened up, the bass is smooth and very detailed, the mid-range nice, and the highs crisp and clear.

The most noticable thing about these headphones is the clarity/transparency of the sound...you can hear and isolate all sorts of details in the music you never even knew were there.

That said, before I did this "burn in" I ordered a pair of Klipsch X10 headphones. If I would have known the HF5 would open up as well they did I would have never even bothered to order the X10s.

That said, I guess I'll be able to give a comparison of the 2 once they Klipsch arrive, but I'll be shocked if I like them more than these Etymotic...they just sound so clear and natural.

Rob

May 28, 2009 at 5:49 AM Post #14 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluey /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i for one am really interested to read your comparison of the HF5 and X10!

X's2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back