Klipsch speakers -> Headphones
Feb 6, 2008 at 9:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

Uhm

New Head-Fier
Sorry for my cryptic title but tried to keep it short and informative
tongue.gif

Anyway, I'm gonna move to a place where I wont be able to use my speakers (Klipsch rf-83) so I'm in need of a headphone. I got no experience at all from headphones but the sound I want is simply my Klipsch speakers in a pair of cans
biggrin.gif
. Yeah I know, probably wont find one but something similar in sound atleast?
Not sure about price etc. but around 300-400$ or so.
So, any tips?
Cheers!

Edit: Maybe should add that I'm looking for full-seize headphones, no IEM's etc.

Feb 6, 2008 at 10:13 PM Post #2 of 23
I had a complete set of Klipsch reference speakers and as far as them being a very forward sounding speaker because of being horn driven that would lead me to a Grado headphone. Yet as that may be I actually am a Senn fan instead of Grado. That is just because I liked a little different spice in life, but if you want the same or close to the same I would recommend a Grado.

However it would help if we know what kind of music you like as different cans work for different styles.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:12 PM Post #3 of 23
Well, my "main" genre is (progressive) metal, but I listen to classical quite alot and some trance as well.
Checked out the Grado's and damn they look uncomfortable!

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:29 PM Post #4 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uhm /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looks can be deceitful!

But in this case, they aren't!

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:35 PM Post #5 of 23
Quote:

Well, my "main" genre is (progressive) metal, but I listen to classical quite alot and some trance as well.

Grado's are very good at fast types of music, like you mentioned. The grado sound is very direct and crystal clear, Senn's are more 3D and more instrument seperation, usually more bass. What model to get depends on your budget and taste in sound. I like my headphones very flat sounding, others like theirs to have lots of color, bass, etc...

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:56 PM Post #6 of 23
Grados are pretty decent if nothing else than for the prog. I've found them alright for classical and I don't listen to trance so I can't vouch for that, but they are pretty good at least at any variant of rock and can do classical some justice (in my opinion at least). Comfort however varies from person to person, I find the bowls quite comfortable, I'm not a big fan of the "comfy" pads though, which are what came with my SR-60, and I haven't bought bowls for it yet. But with your price range you will get bowls. Plus there are always C-pads that you could get from Headphile if comfort is a really big issue.

Feb 6, 2008 at 11:59 PM Post #7 of 23
Well I listen to speakers mostly these days. You will not get the same sound as speakers but you might actually get headphones you like better
cool.gif

I have listened to Klipsch RF-7, and Klipsch-Horns. I have always considered Grado the Klipsch of headphones. I would recommend Alessando Music Series two. They are the most tonally balance Grado in you price range. Alessandro High-End Products: Music Series Headphones

They are a little brighter that Klipsch speakers (depending on the size of shape, etc of your room). They also lack the sound stage of the speakers. But they have more bass detail and sweeter midrange/vocals. At the end of the day I think you might like the headphones better.

You may also find the highs more "ragged" on the Grados than your speakers? But I find the bass and mids to have less color than the RF-7s (lack of box/port colorations?).

You may also want to look into an amp for the MS-2i. You might not need one if your pre-amp is up to pare.....
The Gilmore Lite is a good place to start but there are many other people here that can give you more insight to amps.

Feb 7, 2008 at 12:15 AM Post #8 of 23
I am amazed that people at head-fi like klipsch, I have never seen a professional review of klipsch in sweden that did like them they always end up last.

Back to the question, to my ears Grado is the closest to klipsch.

Feb 7, 2008 at 11:33 AM Post #9 of 23
Seems like everyone agreed on that Grado/Alessandro is what I need
biggrin.gif

Compared the prices U.S vs. Sweden and there is no chance in hell that I'm buying them here in Sweden (like x2 or even x3 prices compared to the U.S, especially now when the dollar isnt worth a ****). Gonna find some local store that I can listen to the Grado's (and check the comfort -.-) but can you recommend any good U.S store that ships them international?

The Alessandros, they're not sold anywhere but their site or? Havent been able to find them in Sweden atleast.
Oh, Grado, they dont happen to have any larger headphones (like the sennheiser's) in case I don't like the comfort of them?

Thanks for your replies guys (and girls?)!

Feb 8, 2008 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Why not the new Klipsch line of headphones? I'm a Klipsch person myself with Khorns, and I just ordered a set of their new Custom 3 headphones with separate woofers and tweeters.

Feb 8, 2008 at 2:18 AM Post #11 of 23
I'm not crazy about Grados with classical. They can pull off a piano soloist or small chamber groups, but not for orchestral works. You might enjoy the Beyerdynamic DT880 instead. It has a forward sound, but does well with classical.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:27 AM Post #12 of 23
I'll have to jump on the Grado bandwagon. Of Grado, Senn, and AKG, the Grados sound the most like my Klipsch speakers. They're the best out of the three for rock IME.

Feb 8, 2008 at 5:37 AM Post #13 of 23
While this isn't totally on the subject, with reference to Klipsch speakers, when done right, they are not forward. Yes, the ones I have are much older but horn/dynamic drivers none-the-less. I have the first Chorus speakers. I did modify mine with new oak substantial bases spiked to the speaker and floor, that were weighted with 30 pounds of sand, changed out the components in the crossover, made them biwired, reinforced the inside of the cabinet with cross members and . . . well they aren't stock but they are Klipsch speakers and they sound fantastic throwing a very deep soundstage that is very, very transparent with dynamics to die for. No brightness, just natural surreal sound. Well, there you go, just had to throw that in about Klipsch.

I like the Ultrasone headphones.

Feb 8, 2008 at 8:50 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by jgonino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I find my ultrasones sound a lot like my klipsch 2.1 computer speakers.

lol. that was a good one. . . . . . . . I think. . . .. . . so are you saying . . . nah . . . wait . . .. . ..ah Ultrasone. . . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back