Klipsch S4's vs. Sony MDR EX models vs. Monster Turbine... Helppp!!!
Apr 1, 2010 at 5:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 20

markjohnsonii

Head-Fier
I currently have Sony EX Monitor MDR-EX85LP/B, and I love them, they fit well, and the frequency range is huge... I want to upgrade to better headphones, so I have been considering: Sony MDR-EX90LP. Anyone have experience with these models to give me a comparison? I can't find anything online to help me with that. What about the V-moda brand line?

I purchased the Klipsch S4's after reading all the amazing reviews on them, and I also bought the Monster Turbines. I have been using the S4's for a while and, honestly, they don't sound as robust or seem to have the range that my EX85LP's do... Is this true? There seems to be almost no bass in the S4's, except when I am in a silent room, then I can hear it faintly. Why are the S4's supposed to be "better"? The S4's fit horrrrribly in my ears, and I have a normal sized ear, I've never had an earbud issue, but with these S4's, I can't get a seal easily and have to invert them to get them into my ear right... How stupid is that...

Has anyone used the EX85LP and/or EX90LP's and also the S4's? How do they compare? IMO, the EX85LP's sound better, and have way more base, but is this an accurate opinion? I am waiting on the Turbines to come in... What should I expect from them?

Anyone who can give me a really good answer, I am willing to pay $5 PayPal for an encompassing explanation. I can't find any really comparative reviews online for both the Sony MDR headphones to the more popular ones like the Klipsch, and I don't understand why my experience with the S4's is so poor, but the reviews are so good...

I want headphones that bang, and are fairly loud, but with clarity and bass. I literally listen to everything, but I want headphones that make me feel like I am in a club, inside my head, with strong bass capable of reproducing the deep bass with some techno and rap songs, but also sound good listening to classical and acoustic stuff. I work out with them, so I can't spend $200 on a pair.

Advice? Thanks!

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:08 PM Post #2 of 20
No one have experience with the Sony's? They have 13.5mm Drivers!

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 20
The reason you're not getting better sound from the S4's is that you're not getting a good seal. Having a good seal is vital to getting the best sound out of an IEM. Have you tried other tip sizes or tips of different materials with your S4's besides what came on them when you bought them?

Apr 1, 2010 at 9:36 PM Post #4 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlinked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The reason you're not getting better sound from the S4's is that you're not getting a good seal. Having a good seal is vital to getting the best sound out of an IEM. Have you tried other tip sizes or tips of different materials with your S4's besides what came on them when you bought them?

I haven't... I didn't even know that was an option. I don't have any ear buds from other brands/models that would fit these: most all my others are a larger radius. What do you suggest? This is frustrating honestly.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:32 PM Post #6 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gridlinked /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The S4's should have come with a little baggie with tips of different sizes.

It did, but only the big ones make any kind of "seal". In previous in-ear sets I have, I use the middle size, so I know my ears aren't large... It must have to do with how small the ports are...

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:36 PM Post #7 of 20
Here's a great thread about tip options.

joker includes the nozzle size in his fabulous (and constantly growing) thread with mini reviews of many current IEMs. You'll notice that there several common sizes. Everything I have or tried has 5.5mm nozzles.

Good sources for tips:
Many head-fi-ers rave about Sony Hybrid tips. No experience here.

Comply foam tips are very comfortable, isolate better than most, but have a reputation for reducing treble a bit. That might be a good thing with some IEMs.

There's wide variety of Shure tips that can be used on other IEM brands depending on model. I use E2c silicone tips on my limited selection of IEMs. They fit the 5.5mm nozzles and my ears well.

HeadDirect tips fit 5.5mm nozzles and include two sizes of biflange.

MEElec tips are less expensive, also fit 5.5mm (M9 and M11 models), but I was less impressed with their single flange. The bi- or tri-flange (latter included in the M11 set)might work for you.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:58 PM Post #8 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by dfrost /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Here's a great thread about tip options.

joker includes the nozzle size in his fabulous (and constantly growing) thread with mini reviews of many current IEMs. You'll notice that there several common sizes. Everything I have or tried has 5.5mm nozzles.

Good sources for tips:
Many head-fi-ers rave about Sony Hybrid tips. No experience here.

Comply foam tips are very comfortable, isolate better than most, but have a reputation for reducing treble a bit. That might be a good thing with some IEMs.

There's wide variety of Shure tips that can be used on other IEM brands depending on model. I use E2c silicone tips on my limited selection of IEMs. They fit the 5.5mm nozzles and my ears well.

HeadDirect tips fit 5.5mm nozzles and include two sizes of biflange.

MEElec tips are less expensive, also fit 5.5mm (M9 and M11 models), but I was less impressed with their single flange. The bi- or tri-flange (latter included in the M11 set)might work for you.

I will get some of these ASAP and give them a try... How do I know which inner diameter is which? These S4's have a smaller ID than my Sony's...

Anyone know anything or have any opinions on the Sony in-ears I listed above? Why is the drivers so much larger?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:08 AM Post #9 of 20
I am having such a hard time finding any reviews of the MDR-EX85LP, compared to newer sets like my S4's and Turbines... Anyone?

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:48 AM Post #10 of 20
The EX85's are quite old now - I don't believe they are still in production, since they have been superceded by the EX500's. I had a pair which I gave away, and while with the cling film mod they sounded very warm and fun to listen to, the real problem with them is that treble tended to be quite sibilant, and they aren't very detailed. ClieOS has a write up on them in his roundup. Unfortunately I can't give you any direct comparisons between the 85's and your other sets.

The only reason why the EX85 has larger drivers is just in the hybrid design where the driver chamber is much larger than the stem. A lot of manufacturers have similar designs. It seems to have no real bearing on quality, except that it seems to allow for deeper bass.

It really sounds as though you have bad tips with the S4's, so I'd suggest trying to get your hands on some nice tips (perhaps Sony Hybrids would be best for you since you like bass) before spending more money on another set of earphones. If you do want a new set, I would wait for a bit for reviews to come in for Audio Technica's new ATH-CKS90 set, which may come in below your price range. If nothing else, they should be bassy.

Apr 2, 2010 at 1:21 AM Post #11 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by markjohnsonii /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I want headphones that bang, and are fairly loud, but with clarity and bass. I literally listen to everything, but I want headphones that make me feel like I am in a club, inside my head, with strong bass capable of reproducing the deep bass with some techno and rap songs, but also sound good listening to classical and acoustic stuff. I work out with them, so I can't spend $200 on a pair.

Advice? Thanks!

Turbine are good for club like experience and if you still want more then try Sennheiser IE7, IE8, UE TF10Pro, JVC FX700, MTP Gold and Denon C710.

Apr 2, 2010 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZARIM /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Turbine are good for club like experience and if you still want more then try Sennheiser IE7, IE8, UE TF10Pro, JVC FX700, MTP Gold and Denon C710.

Those are exp!

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:02 PM Post #14 of 20
You definitely aren't getting a proper seal with the S4s, which is a bit unusual as they are supposed to be some of the best fitting silicon tips, but shame its not fitting. It's definitely not an issue with the earphone itself(though I suppose be it could be a rare isolated incident), because the S4s are generally acknowledged to be some of the bassiest IEMS there are.

You said that usually the medium tips work fine in other IEMs, have you thought that maybe you are using tips too large? If the tips are too big, you wont get a proper seal either, so maybe try a smaller tip and try to insert the S4 deeper into your ear to see if that helps.

In anycase, I personally would recommend the HJE900s to you. They fit your sound description perfectly, and they are not nearly as finnicky about seal as some other IEMs I've tried, and I've heard others say as well that their sound signature isn't too affected by insertion depth or perfect seal like some other IEMs.

Another recommendation you might like a lot is the Hippo VBs. Might be even better actually if you want deep deeep club like bass, though it seems the HJE900 has better clarity and details, and certainly better durability. The HJEs also certainly can go all the way down to 20hz or lower.

Apr 2, 2010 at 8:29 PM Post #15 of 20
Quote:

Originally Posted by Napilopez /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You definitely aren't getting a proper seal with the S4s, which is a bit unusual as they are supposed to be some of the best fitting silicon tips, but shame its not fitting. It's definitely not an issue with the earphone itself(though I suppose be it could be a rare isolated incident), because the S4s are generally acknowledged to be some of the bassiest IEMS there are.

You said that usually the medium tips work fine in other IEMs, have you thought that maybe you are using tips too large? If the tips are too big, you wont get a proper seal either, so maybe try a smaller tip and try to insert the S4 deeper into your ear to see if that helps.

In anycase, I personally would recommend the HJE900s to you. They fit your sound description perfectly, and they are not nearly as finnicky about seal as some other IEMs I've tried, and I've heard others say as well that their sound signature isn't too affected by insertion depth or perfect seal like some other IEMs.

Another recommendation you might like a lot is the Hippo VBs. Might be even better actually if you want deep deeep club like bass, though it seems the HJE900 has better clarity and details, and certainly better durability. The HJEs also certainly can go all the way down to 20hz or lower.

Thank you so much for the recommendation. I will look into the HJE900's.

I tried all the contained ear pieces... The dual cone and the smaller ones go all the way into my ear without sealing, and the large ones basically go ALL the way in before sealing. I grabbed my Sony ones, and they do seal perfectly just after being inserted, and I'm using the middle sized ones. I'm so confused... Where do I get 3mm tips? I think that is the inner diameter size I need. The Sony replacement tips are larger inner diameter, like 5.5mm or something like that.

Even the Klipsch forums tell people that they may have to wear them upside down in the canal to fit... Sooo stupid...

Can anyone compare the Sony MDR-EX90LP's to new headphones like the S4's? The bass in the MDR-EX85's were so impressive, i'm afraid of losing the thump in exchange for some clearer highs.

I just love the MDR-EX85's so much, I bought another pair to replace the ones I recently lost... But I have been looking at the Sony MDR-EX90LP, and they seem to be identical, but with a higher sound range... The things I love best about these are how easy they are to put in/out while working out...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back