Klipsch S4s Vs. IM-590
Oct 15, 2009 at 7:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

muxenle

100+ Head-Fier
I was planning to order the IM-590s because from what I've heard they are the best fited for the majority of my music listening, but I've just got a recomedtion to get the S4s....

The majority of what I listen to is metal(youtube august burns red, and give any of their songs a 30 second listen) but I also do forays in LOTS of other generes(pretty much ever genere, besides rap and pop).

So which one would you reccomend for me?

Also the S4 are slightly out of my price range(11 dollars out to be exact, and when your working with a pretty firm budget of 69 dollars it matters) though I'm pretty confident I could scrounge up another 11. But I'm also anxious to hurry up and get new 'phones since I'm currently using the ear buds that came my zen mozaic player(2gb)...

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #2 of 4
someone posted that Amazon has them on sale for (oops my bad this was pounds not $).

Oct 16, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #3 of 4
I haven't heard the IM-590's but the s4's would perform admirably with metal. I listen to a lot of metal, grunge and other heavy rock and really enjoy the way the s4's sound. They also sound good with alternative, reggae and dub (love Ben Harper with these), trance and electronic. I eq mine a little bit to get them less warm which does improve the detail but many people prefer the warmness. They respond incredibly well imo to eqing. Also, they have terrific bass response and hit hard and pretty quickly. Hopefully someone can give you a juxtaposition on the two. Good luck.

Oct 16, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #4 of 4
^ X2... The other thing I'd say about the S4s is that you can literally wear them all day without discomfort.

I'm amazed at the number of posts that say things like "Headphone/Earphone X is the most amazing sounding item for an hour then it hurts too bad to listen."

I wouldn't recommend the S4s for classical... Everything else, including acoustical, is a "GO." But especially, if it rocks... they rock with controlled bass, great mid details and sweet trebles. Electronica and jazz horns are awesome on these phones. Spyro Gyra sounds like a new group to me. Metal from the 80s is like being in the studio.

Okay, I'll get away from the podium, now...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back