Klipsch s4i harsh?
Oct 10, 2009 at 6:01 PM Post #61 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by glheadfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By the way, although the Scosche are uncomfortable, they sound decent for the price ($40), and they sport, by far, the best iPhone controller out there (including Apple's own, which I don't like).

What makes you say this is by far the best controller? The buttons are rather fumbly (easy to hit the main button while trying to raise/lower volume) and as far as I have seen all control buttons work just as well, as long as they can be pressed easily and quickly enough. The microphone quality isn't bad, and it rests at a nice level, so it will pick up your voice pretty well, but IMO the sound is very lacking and they are not very comfortable. Mine keep falling out, their stock tips just don't have the correct size/shape for my ears, but that doesn't mean they're bad for everyone.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:06 PM Post #62 of 90
I haven't tried the actual Scosche phones, but I did get the adapter with inline remote and it was horrible. I wanted to use it with my 3rd Gen Shuffle. It simply did not work. I would try to adjust the volume and it would instead pause the music. I returned it. Maybe they did a better job with the actual phones.

Oct 10, 2009 at 7:48 PM Post #63 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I haven't tried the actual Scosche phones, but I did get the adapter with inline remote and it was horrible. I wanted to use it with my 3rd Gen Shuffle. It simply did not work. I would try to adjust the volume and it would instead pause the music. I returned it. Maybe they did a better job with the actual phones.

It's pretty much the same with the phones. If you aren't really careful, you'll end up hitting the control button instead. It isn't really three separate buttons, but one large one where depending on where you press, it activates a different function. Not a great design.

Oct 10, 2009 at 8:08 PM Post #64 of 90
Yeah, that was my exact experience with the adaptor. Scosche's costumer service was abysmal too. I stay away from them after that and another experience I had with an A/V cable I bought from them.

Oct 12, 2009 at 1:30 PM Post #65 of 90
Just to be clear, I was not in any way advocating Scosche - if you look at my post, I mention they are uncomfortable (which is the main reason I returned them). However, I do think for 40 bucks, the sound is decent, which may be enough for a casual user to buy them for their controller.

As for the controller, I think that the AIEM controller is not very good. I found myself hitting the wrong button all of the time. Same thing for the s4i, except to a little bit lesser extent. The thing I really like about the Scosche controller is that it has a raised area in the center, which is very easy to feel with your thumb. This differentiates it from the volume up/down enough so that hitting the wrong button is virtually impossible. I experienced none of the problems with the Scosche controller that others have.

The microphone placement of the AIEM is terrible, IMO. I think the Scosche is barely better. The s4i wins hands down in this department, giving it another feather in its cap.

Now, if they only would break them in at the factory first, I wouldn't have even started this thread! By the way, why don't they do that? It's not like I'm alone with my criticism of their harshness...

Oct 14, 2009 at 3:49 PM Post #66 of 90
Update: I just picked up a new pair of s4i's at the Apple store. My first impression is that, once again, they are harsh on the high end. However, they are definitely not as bad as the last pair I had. Even with 20-30 hours of burn-in on the last pair, they were worse than this new pair.

That being said, the problem is still there, and is enough to return them if burning them in has no effect. I will attempt to burn them in for over 50 hours this time, as many have suggested.

My fingers are crossed, as it really is a pleasure wearing these very comfortable IEM's.

Oct 14, 2009 at 4:06 PM Post #67 of 90
I have the S4's and have burned them in for 200+ hours. With the supplied tips, I find that the the treble is out of control. Very harsh. With Shure grey softflex sleeves and black foam tips, the treble is controlled, much smoother, and I don't find it to be harsh.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:08 PM Post #70 of 90
I don't like the way the treble sounds with the bi-flange tips. They only come in two sizes, so if your already using the largest bi-flange tip, you're out of luck. Might want to try the triple flange tips supplied with Shure SE series iems. It can be modified as a bi-flange as well.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:28 PM Post #71 of 90
you all need to grow a pair, and quit whining about decent treble. You want to really try something painful, pop a pair of Denons in your ears, and before the modular cable pops the piece out of your ear, the 3-4 seconds of actual listening time will make your eardrums bleed.
icon10.gif

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:47 PM Post #73 of 90
Quote:

Originally Posted by glheadfi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
but the treble is so bright ... Not what I expected from Klipsch

Dude, have you ever heard any Klipsch brand speakers? They're the kings of bright SQ. The horn-loaded designs of their speakers are built to emphasize treble, resulting in a hard-edged sound that is anything but laid-back, and it is why many love them.

Oct 14, 2009 at 5:49 PM Post #74 of 90
I believe they come with the large tips. The small dual-flange tips are very small. As small as the smallest single flange tip that is supplied.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jleewach /img/forum/go_quote.gif
you all need to grow a pair, and quit whining about decent treble. You want to really try something painful, pop a pair of Denons in your ears, and before the modular cable pops the piece out of your ear, the 3-4 seconds of actual listening time will make your eardrums bleed.
icon10.gif

I know what you mean. I got the C710's and when I first listened to them, there was too much treble and bass. I've been burning them in for the last couple weeks. The bass and treble has changed tremendously. Far less in terms of quantity, but much better in terms of quality. It actually sounds balanced now.

Oct 15, 2009 at 1:56 PM Post #75 of 90
I too had a sibilance problem with the S4s out of the box. But after 100 or so hours, it diminished, now it's gone. But someone suggested modding the Shure tri-flanges, something I had done with my W3s. So I got out an old pair, trimmed the stalk to meet the bottom flange (the small flange was already trimmed) and wow, the even sound better than with the large gel (what I had been using). And just as comfy. I understand the harshness issue, but for all intents and purposes, it's gone. Best of all, the S4 is a perfect match with the Amp3, a DAP that creates hiss with all my other IEMs. They sound amazing together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back