Klipsch S4 or UE 350?
Oct 26, 2010 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

jigawatts

New Head-Fier
I think I've narrowed it down to these two choices.  Both can be purchased at Best Buy, and I'll have 14 days to return them if I don't like them.  But I'd like to get some opinions from others here on which of these two, or possibly others, that they would choose.  $50 for the UE 350 or $80 for the S4, please don't recommend anything more expensive than the S4, as that's the limit of what I'm willing to spend right now.  I've been leaning towards the S4 because of everyone's claims regarding comfort, but opinions on SQ seem to vary wildly.  I know the 350's are pretty new, but I have seen some very positive reviews regarding their SQ, and they are $30 cheaper.  Would anyone be willing to offer their opinion?

Thanks,
Mark

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:23 PM Post #2 of 8

Quote:
I think I've narrowed it down to these two choices.  Both can be purchased at Best Buy, and I'll have 14 days to return them if I don't like them.  But I'd like to get some opinions from others here on which of these two, or possibly others, that they would choose.  $50 for the UE 350 or $80 for the S4, please don't recommend anything more expensive than the S4, as that's the limit of what I'm willing to spend right now.  I've been leaning towards the S4 because of everyone's claims regarding comfort, but opinions on SQ seem to vary wildly.  I know the 350's are pretty new, but I have seen some very positive reviews regarding their SQ, and they are $30 cheaper.  Would anyone be willing to offer their opinion?

Thanks,
Mark

Don't know about the 350's but I have the Metro fi 220, which I would highly suggest over the S4. Can't say much about the 350's as having not heard them.

Oct 26, 2010 at 1:46 PM Post #3 of 8

Quote:
Don't know about the 350's but I have the Metro fi 220, which I would highly suggest over the S4. Can't say much about the 350's as having not heard them.

What do you like about the 220's over the S4's?  And do you prefer a warmer, bassier sound, or the opposite?  I listen to a lot of symphonic music and am looking for the best iem for that genre.

Oct 26, 2010 at 2:24 PM Post #4 of 8
I knew this was coming.....Clarity, no recessed mids some what harsh highs but they settle down within 24 hrs. Otherwise they would have joined the S4's. S4's have bass you can feel with nice body, they lag a little in impact. This is subject to opinion as is which you like in your opinion
cool.gif
  The main make and break between the two is this. Clarity, the s4's lack the metro fi 220 don't. They are clear, unlike the S4's for me, which has to do something with there mids? Don't know or care, the S4's offer way more isolation, you get bass but a unclear picture compared to the picture the Metro's present. But if you were willing to spend 80 on the S4's spend 89 on the pana's. Check out the Pana appreciation for my review and others....descriptions can be found there. In closing it would be a insult to mention the Pana's in the same place as the other to mentioned here. For me these classify as low tier, the pana's high. Any thing 9 and up on Jokers chart is the...s word.

S4 has bass and isolation....mediocre clarity, recessed mids, harsh highs. Metro is clear, slightly warm no where near lush, slighty above average(S4) detail but nothing to write home about. Pana is 3 or 4 levels up, nothing to compare, a hundred miles ahead, of the crap that fell over the first hurdle. Preference nonexistent.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #5 of 8
Ok, I'm going to admit my complete ignorance.  What are panas?  Is that short for panasonic?  Is there a specific model number I need to look for?  Can you provide a link to the appreciation thread you are referring to?  Thanks for your help.

Oct 26, 2010 at 5:44 PM Post #6 of 8

Quote:
Ok, I'm going to admit my complete ignorance.  What are panas?  Is that short for panasonic?  Is there a specific model number I need to look for?  Can you provide a link to the appreciation thread you are referring to?  Thanks for your help.

Sorry, Panasonic HJE900 the appreciation thread is floating around on the main page, but here's the link. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/476883/panasonic-czs-hje900-appreciation-thread-and-pending-review here's a chart to see how they stack up to competition http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15243 heres another multi review/list http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/478568/multi-iem-review-115-iems-compared-monster-miles-davis-tribute-added-10-17#post_6492055 the Pana;s rate a 9 the S4's are on their as well, to my ears the score should be flipped with the phone right above it. No one ear is the same so I digest this and move on, anyhow here's another review coming from anythingbutipod.com like the chart. http://anythingbutipod.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56274 All in all check out the first link for reviews, mines as well as others are posted thru out the pages. Have fun navigating.

popcorn.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back