Klipsch S3 or S4 - Help with buy
Jun 1, 2012 at 4:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

craige

New Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I hear to POP Songs and i like higher volume on my earphones.
So i would like to have something that is clear with medium bass and can output fairly high volume.

So out of this two which will be better - Klipsch S3 or S4 ?

On the side note, i also like Shure 215, but aint sure how they compare to S4

PS: If you want to suggest a better sounding pair then keep it restricted to Sennheiser only.

Jun 1, 2012 at 6:20 AM Post #3 of 17
I recently bought a pair of S3's (replacing some stolen Shure SE535's).

I got them cause they were cheap and what reviews I could find were semi-favorable.

That said...

They really aren't that bad. Bass is not neutral but just a tad up front. Mids are okay too but not up front or pushed to the back. Just sort of in the middle of things. The high frequencies are the weak point I think...tending to be a bit "splashy" and undefined. Sometimes fatiguing but still not so bad as to make me take the headphones back.

One thing I would consider though is that they are a little difficult to drive, which is odd as Klipsch markets them as replacement ear phones for Ipods and the like. Really, even with my S:flo 2, I can't get the volume up very loud with certain recordings. In contrast, the Shure SE535's I had were *much* easier to drive.

FYI.

Here's a little write up I did on them:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/610933/klipsch-s3-pretty-damn-decent-for-25-bucks-and-change

Good luck.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 17
I have tried my cousins' S3 and S4...if I may, my honest opinion is that please skip Klipsch and Sennheiser all together if you can. There are better SQ and good value options out there - Brainwavz Pro Alpha/M1/M2 or Soundmagic E10 / E30, Meelectronics CW31/CC51/A151, Vsonic R02 Pro2 etc. Now my cousins are converted, totally neglecting their S3 & S4.

Jun 2, 2012 at 11:51 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:
I have tried my cousins' S3 and S4...if I may, my honest opinion is that please skip Klipsch and Sennheiser all together if you can. There are better SQ and good value options out there - Brainwavz Pro Alpha/M1/M2 or Soundmagic E10 / E30, Meelectronics CW31/CC51/A151, Vsonic R02 Pro2 etc. Now my cousins are converted, totally neglecting their S3 & S4.

Just being honest ... I would have to agree with Jyoof. The S3 sound is "okay" ... but there's a bunch of stuff that has bugged me in increasing degrees over the past couple weeks. Much better options out there.

I was just at Fry's again and the S3's that I got on sale for 25 dollars were back to a price of 51.00 dollars. I would have never payed 50 bucks for them having heard them but for 25? I'm not complaining.

But just considering the 50 to 60ish price range? You could get a pair of Vsonic GR06's for around 65 bucks and have near audiophile quality sound straight out of your DAP. The Klipsch S3's are *nowhere* as good as the GR06 and certainly not worth 50 bucks.

If your set on them, though, then find them on sale somewhere.

Best.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:34 PM Post #8 of 17
PPL are they are S3 loud? i play mostly 320kbps music frm my phone....

one thing tht bug me is tht i read a few ppl complaining that it draws a lot of power to operate and hence volume is no issue if using with iPod or similar but when connected to phone, the phone doesnt provide tht much power and hence volume is compromised.... I wonder how true is tht ?

And ppl above are suggesting me lots of companies, eventough i have mentioned above in my original post tht i have only limited choice when it comes to what brand i buy because thts what available here and i cant order online.

Jun 2, 2012 at 1:42 PM Post #9 of 17
They do not get very loud straight out of my S:flo2 and so probably even worse on most other players since the S:flo2 puts out pretty decent juice. I'm constantly bugged that I can't get the music loud enough.

With my Arrow amp (which I have recently sold), volume was not an issue, of course. But for such a cheap IEM ... it's kind of ridiculous to require an amp.

I'll be investing in a quality set of IEMs and another Arrow amp some time in the next six months so I can live with the low volume issue. But no, the S3's don't power very well out of a standard DAP ... not if you like solid, loud music.

Jun 2, 2012 at 2:58 PM Post #11 of 17
I have decided to actually buy Shure SE315 in near future, so i have decided that i would like to stick to S3's. But after reading as wht most posters agree tht it aint loud sounding i am in a jam again....

BTW, till now i have used the Zune Premium earphones and i have found them very very good. You guys know whos the actual manufacturer of this earphone ?
http://www.amazon.com/Zune-Premium-Headphones-30GB-80GB/dp/B000VWOL3O/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1338662594&sr=1-3

The specs for the this Zune earphones are:
20-15,000 Hz frequency response at +/- 6 dB,
impedance of 16 Ohms +/- 15% at 1 kHz,
Sensitivity of 96 dB SPL +/- 3 dB @ 1 mW

So after reading the above specs of the earphone tht am having, you guys think i would be happy wid S3 or any comparable sennihesier model (suggest?) tht will be equivalent but loud...

Jun 13, 2012 at 2:36 AM Post #15 of 17
Bought S3 a week ago, done 20Hrs. burning and tried adjusting my ears to the new pair, but i believe S3 SUCKS.
Sounds like its coming from an Tin and the volume is low as if i am hearing a 20$ earphone.

Selling it on Ebay and already ordered a new pair of earphones,A.K.A da same one i was using before.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back