Klipsch promedia 2.1
Dec 3, 2008 at 9:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

kessomatt

100+ Head-Fier
I am trying to find a new set of these speakers. The only place that sells them new is Klipsch.com. I have seen that they have problems sometimes, so I am not sure if I should go the ebay route or just buy new. What do you guys think?

Dec 3, 2008 at 11:20 PM Post #2 of 22
I bought a pair of refurbished Promedia 2.1s a few years ago and didn't have any problems until about a year and a half later. One of the channels started cutting out which I thought I could solve by checking my connections (nothing really touched it so at first I didn't think there was anything wrong) or wiggling the 3.5mm connector. The problem wasn't too serious; any time it would start to do this it would stop soon after.

Dec 4, 2008 at 1:57 AM Post #3 of 22
I have a set of Klipsch ProMedia 2.1s and a set of Klipsh ProMedia Ultra 2.0. I have the 2.1 at home and it's really wonderful for the money. The sound is full and rich. Initially I was disappointed because the jacks wouldn't have great contact and would get fuzzy. Klipsch sold a Monster Cable upgrade, and this eliminated the problem. I highly recommend this set. I bought the 2.0s for my office, where I didn't want bass to really resonate, and I enjoy them as well.

Dec 4, 2008 at 6:00 AM Post #4 of 22
I demo'd the Klipsch promedia 2.1, the klipsch gmx 2.1 (newer version of the promedias) and the klipsch iFi's...
I finally went for the iFi's
soundwise
iFi > Promedia > gmx
however, the iFi's are presently probably out of production. You might still get them on newegg/ costco for about USD200, which might be over the pricepoint you're looking at.

The promedias however did sound very decent indeed, the satellites had a crisp mid & treble tone, while the sub while not as powerful as the iFi's, delivered some good decent unjumbled bass. I don't think you'ld regret buying the promedias.

Dec 5, 2008 at 4:45 PM Post #5 of 22
One of my roommates has the promedia 2.1 and he's quite happy with them. Lots of bass, solid.

Dec 5, 2008 at 9:06 PM Post #6 of 22
I've owned a Klipsch Promedia 2.1 for over a year now, and I've recently retired them. They're probably my favorite Computer 2.1 speakers out there for the money, though I hear rave reviews about the Swan M10 as well. (I'm also curious as to how the Razer Mako's sound)

I purchased mine used on ebay for $80 shipped, and I was lucky enough where mine was a completely working unit, with no flaws as well.

I also replaced my speaker wires with custom made 18guage wires, also purchased on ebay (though now I realize I could've made something a lot better and cheaper). Contrary to what people said about lacking mids and what not, I don't believe the cables made that much of an improvement: it definitely won't lift veils. IMO a star-quad cable about 6-8feet in length terminated in a mono plug (i.e. Neutrik/Canare F11/Switchcraft) would be a much much much better alternative than the more expensive monster cable upgrade.

The bass is beautiful on this machine, and the built in headphone amp is definitely a bonus.

In terms of purchasing on ebay, it's definitely YMMV. I've seen 90% of these as used/refurbished on ebay, not to mention that Klipsch Promedias are known for reliability issues (blown fuses, DIN plugs/cable failing).

Again, the one I purchased has ZERO problems whatsoever. If anything, you can pair your own set of speakers to it by connecting them via the speaker posts on the back of the subwoofer.

In terms of spending full retail, I'd suggest saving your money for something more substantial such as Audio Engines. But if you can get one that is gauranteed not to be faulty at below 100, then go for it!

Hope this helps
smily_headphones1.gif

Edit:
I've seen these @ Best Buys more than not.

Dec 6, 2008 at 4:51 AM Post #7 of 22
I've had my Klipsch promedia 2.1 for over 3 years now and have yet to run into any trouble with them. They are pretty decent speakers for the price I paid at the time ($100 @ bestbuy). Granted, they haven't gotten much play time in the past year or so because I've fallen in love with the intimate sound of some of my headphones/iem's. IIRC a large percentage of the problems reported on the klipsch forums about the promedia's was the DIN plug in the back of the sub breaking off. I could definitely see how this could happen as it just sticks out quite a bit after being plugged into the back of the sub. However, this has not been a problem for me because I don't put my sub right up against a wall. I give it about of foot leeway.

Dec 6, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #8 of 22
I've had the Promedia 2.1s also for about 3-ish years or so. No problems and great sound.

I also have the gmx versions hooked up to my TV. The ProMedia's (hooked up to my computers) sound better.

Nice big warm sound ~ enough to annoy the neighbors with.

Never thought of upgrading the cables... until I read this thread...
biggrin.gif

Dec 7, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #9 of 22
I have also heard the GMX and prefer the promedias.

Dec 7, 2008 at 11:50 AM Post #10 of 22
I've had mine close to a year, got em on ebay for less than $60. They were used but in good condition , no problems yet.

Dec 7, 2008 at 3:46 PM Post #11 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by coolrelax /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've had mine close to a year, got em on ebay for less than $60. They were used but in good condition , no problems yet.

Good point, Klipsch frequently has had directly sold refurbs on eBay. I bought my Ultra 2.0s from them and was impressed with their service.

Dec 11, 2008 at 9:32 AM Post #12 of 22
I have the ProMedia 2.1s and they are the best sounding computer speakers I have heard.
The are some drawbacks however, like the crappy speakers wires and the non standard 3.5mm plugs for the satellites. I think Monster Cable has upgraded cables for them. Also, the power button is on the subwoofer which can be annoying.

I know someone who has upgraded the 6" woofer to JLs. I have yet to try that out.

Dec 11, 2008 at 2:00 PM Post #13 of 22
Monster sure does have a ProMedia speaker cable kit, but I believe it's been unavailable for some time. Here's the page on the Klipsch site that includes information on the cables. I have to say that I have never found a cable making more difference than this cable set over the original set. That is not necessarily a function of Monster Cable's superiority, but rather a function of the stock set's low quality. It would not surprise me if Klipsch improved the stock set by this point, but I don't know that this is the case.

I'd be interested to hear about what the person you know thinks about the JL sub upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back