Klipsch Promedia 2.1 |or| Swan M50W...is the extra money worth it?
Aug 24, 2013 at 12:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

Proto12

New Head-Fier
As stated above, i'm trying to make a decision between these two speakers.

Here's some general info about my intended use, source, and location/scenarios...

Intended use:
*Using my computer as the source*

1) For video use (Youtube, Netflix, etc)
2) Gaming (MMOBA and MMORPG, not base-heavy, volume-basting FPS stuff -.-)
3) Music

Source:

Alienware M17x with a Sound Blaster 3Di internal soundcard (three 3.5mm ports - 2 out and 1 in - and a single S/PDIF out)

Location/Scenarios:

1) Personal use in my dorm room - measures roughly 9 ft x 10 ft x 8.5 ft (near field use)
2) For small parties in the apartment - measures roughly 20 ft x 16 ft

Originally i was thinking about buying a really nice set of bookshelf speakers (Swan M200MkIII's or Airmotiv 5's), but after giving it some honest thought i really can't afford anything over $300. BUT, i really hate the idea of buying an entry-level speaker system since i would prefer to buy higher quality items that will last me awhile, and that i can potentially resell for a decent amount of money...plus i just want really really nice sounding speakers 
font]

So with all of that in mind i would love some input in regards to which speaker system you all would suggest, and if you have any other recommendations i would love to read them 
font]

Aug 24, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #2 of 2
Heya,

I would skip the active monitors (over-priced for what they are and no room to grow with them), and focus on just getting something that will allow you to grow your speakers, change parts over time, and replace things if needed, without losing the entire system. Something that can be an external universal DAC, amplifier and some passive speakers that have good range (a decent set of bookshelves for example).

Here's a suggestion for starting a basic stereo setup:

Some bookshelf options:

Fluance SX6
BIC America DV62si
BIC America FH-65B
JBL ES20's
Infinity Primus P163BK
Yamaha NS-6490
Yamaha NS-333
Polk Monitor 35B
Polk Monitor 45B

Some stereo receivers (dac/amp without headphone output and speaker output basically):

Sony STRDH130
Onkyo TX-8255
Sherwood RX-4109

Under budget too, new. Will fill your dorm with good audio for a good entry price point. Allows you to grow your speakers or replace the receiver or anything in the future since it's all universal. Input from any source, multiple sources, and you can switch between them while all plugged in with a remote. Remotes are nice by the way.

Very best,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back