klipsch image s4i for iphone 3gs?
Apr 27, 2010 at 11:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

freakydrew

500+ Head-Fier
we are trying to get pregnant, well my wife is trying and I am a willing participant. Anyway, she wants to increase her exercise by walking daily with our iphone. I want a decent set of headphones where she can enjoy the music and answer the phone while she walks.

I think the Klipsch image s4i seems to be the best contender.

any one want to talk me out of this and towards something else in similar price range?

and where should I buy these in Canada?

thanks!

Apr 28, 2010 at 4:06 PM Post #2 of 13
Here's an excellent list of IEMs with iPhone capabilities. Note that most are linked to reviews.

Several that I use and like are the NuForce NE-7M and MEElec M9P. I use non-OEM tips with both for better sound quality. The NuForce feels more lush, musical and engaging (and better balanced with the Blackberry output), while the MEElec is a more detailed with a clearer treble, and a good match with my iPod Classic. The mic/phone function is good on both IEMs.

The Klipsch S4i, NE-7M and M9P are all known to be "bass heavy", but I've also read that the S4i can be harsh/sibilant in the treble, too. Here's one person's comparison of the NE-7M and S4i.

A more neutral and highly regarded IEM is the Maximo iM-595/iP-HS5 (former includes volume controls for 3GS iPhones). A downside to those is that the cable is more microphonic than many, which could be an irritant when walking. Here's a thread comparing the NuForce and Maximo (iM-590 is non-mic version). with some comments about purchasing in Canada. HeadphoneAddict's comprehensive review of the iP-HS5 includes comments about the relative merits between it and the NE-7M.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:17 PM Post #3 of 13
I have the etymotic HF2 and I use them with my iphone, they are not bass heavy like the NuForce NE-7M (which I also own).

For the price the NE-7M are very good, but the mids doesnt sound too good. My vote goes to HF2 but if you like heavy bass, then look for others iems.

Apr 28, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #4 of 13
You might also consider Apple's ADDIEM, sound quality is very good, light and comfy, and also works with the volume control on the 3gs. Thew Klipsch also will control the volume, I returned mine tho, didn't care for the sound signature, although many like it.

FWIW, having the volume control easily accessible from the control pod is very handy.

Apr 29, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the link to the big list - very helpful.
My wife is not a bass head and prefers the music as it is meant to sound My original thoughts were towards the V-moda series but they are not reviewed as well as Klipsch

I will look at the Nuforce and Etymotic.

do both have the call answer button on the volume control?

thanks!

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:24 AM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
we are trying to get pregnant, well my wife is trying and I am a willing participant. Anyway, she wants to increase her exercise by walking daily with our iphone. I want a decent set of headphones where she can enjoy the music and answer the phone while she walks.

I think the Klipsch image s4i seems to be the best contender.

any one want to talk me out of this and towards something else in similar price range?

and where should I buy these in Canada?

thanks!

Hi, I think there is some confusion. In order to get pregnant, your wife will need not walking, but rather sexual intercourse.
The Klipsch S4i could still be used during this activity, I suppose.
I think this is the appropriate smiley for the topic
L3000.gif

Apr 29, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi, I think there is some confusion. In order to get pregnant, your wife will need not walking, but rather sexual intercourse.
L3000.gif

I was also kind of wondering what walking had to do with all this... but than again I haven't had a health class since 6th or 7th grade (well, at least a health class that covers "that stuff".)

But any ways, good luck!

Apr 29, 2010 at 3:48 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by freakydrew /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the link to the big list - very helpful.
My wife is not a bass head and prefers the music as it is meant to sound My original thoughts were towards the V-moda series but they are not reviewed as well as Klipsch

I will look at the Nuforce and Etymotic.

do both have the call answer button on the volume control?

thanks!

The ADDIEM, Klipsch and Maximo iM-595 (or increase your budget and SQ substantially with the TF10vi, Monster Turbine Pro Gold or Copper) have volume AND call answer in their remotes, the others mentioned ONLY have the call answer button and mic. Here's a good description how that button works (from MEElec FAQ).

Never heard them myself, but V-Modas are generally considered very bass heavy, and muddy with it, too.

In my very limited IEM experience, the NuForce sound like I'm sitting in the best seat in a small concert hall, while the M9Ps sound like I'm on stage with the musicians.

Apr 29, 2010 at 9:16 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kunlun /img/forum/go_quote.gif
L3000.gif

LMAO!!!

Well the good news is we found out she is about 5 weeks pregnant which is really early, but she is walking now anyway to keep in shape!

I think the Klipsch is good for her, non-audiophile who tends to laugh at my ever growing collection...

For myself, I think I am going to wait for the HF3 to come out, upon further review, it looks like it will be worth it!
thanks!

Apr 29, 2010 at 11:12 PM Post #10 of 13
I'd say yes on the S4i, have one for my iPhone 3GS. The small ovals and bi-flanges are great for smaller ears as well. And in my personal experience, I found that avoiding the ovals and using the small bi-flanges or small Etymotic bi-flanges really tones down the bass and brings the mids out.

May 1, 2010 at 4:22 AM Post #13 of 13
Honestly i think these headphones are dull & lifeless compared to my UE triple.fi 10's (which unfortunately have broken on me). However, with the EQ on the iphone set to Treble Boost it's a different story and they're very enjoyable. after break-in the bass is tight and not so bloated as it was initially, and the EQ on the phone further tames the boomy bass and lets the treble come through. Not a perfect solution, but for <$100 not a bad way to go at all.

Gary

Users who are viewing this thread

Back