Klipsch IMAGE earphone review
Jan 25, 2008 at 3:39 PM Post #47 of 118
Having just stumbled into this forum today and reading about these IEMs I have to say I'm also confused by the Image and the Custom 3. Assuming the difference is comfort vs audio quality it's still kind of strange the prices are so close.

Jan 25, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #48 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by pretzelb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm also confused by the Image and the Custom 3. Assuming the difference is comfort vs audio quality it's still kind of strange the prices are so close.

Styling does also matter for some people. "Image" naming tries to say that.

Jan 25, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #49 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by kostalex /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Styling does also matter for some people. "Image" naming tries to say that.

I know you're right but it still confuses me. Not many companies will compete against their own products like this and if they do there is typically a product feature to distinguish the products. Now I suppose the Image could be marketed as being more comfort-oriented but does Kilpsch really want to imply the other products with a similar price are not as comfortable?

Perhaps it's the nature of the product. A headphone or speaker really only has one primary feature and that is sound. You can price differently for smaller size but for IEMs that seems odd to me. It's not like I'm choosing between some big open headphones and some IEMs - it's from one IEM to another.

In the end I'm just being selfish. It's just making my decision process harder so I'm frustrated by it.
redface.gif

Jan 25, 2008 at 8:54 PM Post #50 of 118
The Custom-3 is superior sound-wise because of the separate drivers and crossover, which is why they are priced higher than the 1 and 2.

The Image is in a separate product category, design-wise. It is a single driver and not over the ear, and although it has received rave reviews for sound, I wouldn't compare it to Custom-3. The cost is relative to the intricate (ie: super tiny) design, and the difficulty in building them and the expense of the technology used in doing so. The value is not only in their sound, but the small and ultra-comfortable design. And yes, the Custom models are also comfortable, but, personally, not as much so because I do not like wires around my ears. Again, that's a personal preference.

I hope that helps a bit!

Jan 25, 2008 at 9:49 PM Post #51 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Custom-3 is superior sound-wise because of the separate drivers and crossover, which is why they are priced higher than the 1 and 2.

The Image is in a separate product category, design-wise. It is a single driver and not over the ear, and although it has received rave reviews for sound, I wouldn't compare it to Custom-3. The cost is relative to the intricate (ie: super tiny) design, and the difficulty in building them and the expense of the technology used in doing so. The value is not only in their sound, but the small and ultra-comfortable design. And yes, the Custom models are also comfortable, but, personally, not as much so because I do not like wires around my ears. Again, that's a personal preference.

I hope that helps a bit!

I also have a problem with wires around my ears. My best IEMs right now are an old pair of Shure E2C and I do find the over the ear adjustments annoying at times, especially at work.

My personal dilemma is trying to weigh the pros and cons without being able to try them. For the price I want the best sound possible but what's the point of great sound if the fit is annoying? Assuming that the hype about the comfort of the Image is well deserved, it's tempting to go with them so as to avoid any possible comfort issues. But then there's always the nagging thought that you could get better sound with the Custom-3 and maybe the comfort would be "good enough" to get by for a few hours at a time.

Jan 26, 2008 at 2:27 AM Post #52 of 118
I understand the dilema. I would recommend purchasing from our webstore, since we do have a 30-day money back guarantee if you purchase from us. Although it would be nice if a store had samples for you to try, you really won't know if a set of IEM are "right" for you unless you've had some time to try them out (hours at least...perhaps days).

Anyway, just keep that option in mind. There truly is no risk.

Thanks!

Jan 27, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #53 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I understand the dilema. I would recommend purchasing from our webstore, since we do have a 30-day money back guarantee if you purchase from us. Although it would be nice if a store had samples for you to try, you really won't know if a set of IEM are "right" for you unless you've had some time to try them out (hours at least...perhaps days).

Anyway, just keep that option in mind. There truly is no risk.

Thanks!

Thanks for the advice Amy. I should probably go that route and use the guarantee to ease my concerns but I do feel guilty returning items that are functional but maybe not my cup of tea. To be honest, what would be ideal is buying both the Image and Custom-3 to pick which I prefer but then I'd absolutely have to return one and it would make me feel as if I'm being abusive of the policy. I'm sure others do it but I would feel guilty.

I'm keeping an eye out here and in the Kilpsch forums for as much info as possible. I saw that one funny post of someone who hit a price special at NewEgg. If I spot that again I might just go with it and not worry about a return at all.

Jan 29, 2008 at 3:08 AM Post #55 of 118
Quote:

Thanks for the advice Amy. I should probably go that route and use the guarantee to ease my concerns but I do feel guilty returning items that are functional but maybe not my cup of tea. To be honest, what would be ideal is buying both the Image and Custom-3 to pick which I prefer but then I'd absolutely have to return one and it would make me feel as if I'm being abusive of the policy. I'm sure others do it but I would feel guilty.

I'm keeping an eye out here and in the Kilpsch forums for as much info as possible. I saw that one funny post of someone who hit a price special at NewEgg. If I spot that again I might just go with it and not worry about a return at all.

if you decide not to keep one of them. May I suggest to put it on sale here at headfi so people like me who is not in US can get their hands on it?
tongue.gif

Jan 29, 2008 at 4:07 PM Post #56 of 118
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordmozilla /img/forum/go_quote.gif
pretzelb, If they make the policy it is to offer a service to people like you in order to get repeat business and your trust.

Do you feel ashamed when you go round the net looking for the best price ?

I never said my way made any sense.
biggrin.gif

You are correct. The policy is there to draw me in as a customer so I shouldn't feel guilty about using it. But somewhere in my life I decided it was better to avoid returning something if at all possible. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was behind someone in line who was chewing out a clerk over a return trying to get the "squeaky wheel gets oiled" thing to work for them and I decided to NOT be that guy. Sure this is different but that's probably how I formed my odd stance.

But I'm considering a purchase more and more each day just because that policy is taking some of the pressure off.

Jan 29, 2008 at 7:23 PM Post #57 of 118
Quote:

biggrin.gif

You are correct. The policy is there to draw me in as a customer so I shouldn't feel guilty about using it. But somewhere in my life I decided it was better to avoid returning something if at all possible. I'm not sure why. Maybe I was behind someone in line who was chewing out a clerk over a return trying to get the "squeaky wheel gets oiled" thing to work for them and I decided to NOT be that guy. Sure this is different but that's probably how I formed my odd stance.

But I'm considering a purchase more and more each day just because that policy is taking some of the pressure off.

i mast tell you that i respect your attitude, and i can tell you, that when you stood behind your principles ,you gain more then if you broke them . so keep that attitude , if you don't mind that i tell you
i am sorry about my lousy English so i cant express my self clearly , but i hope you can get what i want to say

Jan 30, 2008 at 1:51 AM Post #58 of 118
Quote:

biggrin.gif

Pretzelb,
Your ethics are commendable and we need more people like you. Thanks for being considerate of our difficulties. Here is why we are making such an offer...

Klipsch is a new company for headphones as you know but we have 60 years of audio heritage so there are many things related to audio that still apply to headphones. We are so confident that you will like our products that we give you this money back guarantee. As long as you pick the style that suits you i.e. your priority is comfort first you pick IMAGE...you won't go wrong. I will be surprised if anyone dislikes the acoustic for IMAGE or Custom 3. Why, because I can listen to either without wanting to switch. I find Custom to be as comfortable if not more so than IMAGE because they are more stable. There is no pressure pulling out. It is inherant in the design with the ear hook. I also us glasses so I am very use to a wire above my ear. But I can lay on my side and they are comfortable because they chassis doesn't stick out past the ear.

Custom 3 is better audio...lower distortion being the primary issue, that being said, if you have a very small concha (biggest bowl in your ear) IMAGE will fit better. My daughter who is an adult has the ears of a 10 year old. She is small in height. She can wear Custom series as well as IMAGE but she needs the extra small ear gel, which doesn't come with our fit kits. She is exceptionally small in ear canal dimensions. So these are the things you will want to consider.

The reason we have both is for you to be able to choose what you need. IMAGE has many advantages, small and comfortable but also it is quick to load and unload into the ear. Simplicity can be best. Many of us at Klipsch are musicians so we will probably use Custom more, due to the wire over the ear. But you could use either for performing. You can't loose eitherway.

Don't sweat the small stuff. I think you are going to be very happy with our canal phones.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:12 PM Post #59 of 118
Good points Professor. What I've come down is some simple analysis between the two:

best comfort -> Image
best sound -> Custom 3
best price -> Custom 3
best availability -> Image (ha, for now at least)

What makes it difficult for me is that I still feel like Kipsch is marketing against itself. Instead of the clear decision found in the Custom lineup (how much are you willing to pay for better sound quality) you have competition between two separate factors (sound and comfort).

Even more difficult is the shades of gray that comes with this kind of subjective analysis. Will the Image be more comfortable? I would assume so, but significantly more than the Custom 3? Will the Custom 3 sound better? I would assume so but wouldn't the Image be good enough?

As long as the Custom 3 still show as "coming soon" the biggest factor is my itchy trigger finger because it's a one horse race. When they are both available I will have to weigh possible comfort vs sound quality.

Talking out loud a bit now ...

While it would be nice to have a pair of IEMs that is comfortable enough for hours of use, I wonder if that is what I really need. I'm not on long flights right now and my listening habits probably go in 1 hour bursts. So then my "requirements" are probably back to something that is comfortable enough for an hour or so. I would assume the Custom 3 would be "good enough" and have the added bonus of being the best available with respect to sound quality.

Then on the other side of the debate is the fact that many times in the past few weeks I've needed to concentrate at work and shut out the noises of the office. I still do sessions of an hour at a time but now I'm stringing several together. I end up switching headphones several times a day to try and keep the discomfort to a minimum. So in this situation I lean back to the Image and think the sound is probably "good enough".

Whew! Kind of funny how my mind works huh?
eek.gif

But I have to say there's been great support here. Kudos to you guys and gals for that. It's kept me away from looking at the Shure and Ety offerings for a few days at least.

Jan 30, 2008 at 8:26 PM Post #60 of 118
That is the main reason that I just ordered the Images from Klipsch today (getting them tomorrow).

A co-worker has them, and I tried them out and they are so much more comfortable than my Denon AH-C751K. I find myself wearing my headphones when I am reading or doing work just to block off outside noises. Most of the time, I don't even have any music playing.

The Images are comfortable to wear 4-6 hours at a time with no fatigue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back