Klipsch Image 1 vs Sennheiser HD518
Nov 26, 2011 at 3:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

NVGCK

New Head-Fier
Hi Guys, Total noob here so hope I can frame my questions intelligently. I'm trying to decide between purchasing the Klipsch Image One or the Sennheiser HD518. I spent some time trying out the Klipsch headphones and loved the bass and clear mids and highs but am concerned about comfort since I have larger ears. Also I am partial to Sennheiser so I picked the HD518 based on the fact that it has a very similar frequency response to the Klipsch Image One (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3141&graphID[]=2841) I'll be driving either unit with a Topping TP-30 so power is not a problem. But my primary concern is if the frequency response curves are misleading in that the Sennheiser HD518 may lack "punch" in the bass because its an open design as opposed to the Klipsch Image 1 which has a closed/sealed design. Your thoughts and feedback would be most greatly appreciated. Thanks all

Nov 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM Post #2 of 4
I have big ears and I think the Klipsch Image Ones are fine. I was concerned too because it was an on-ear design.

I wouldn't buy Kilpsch Image Ones unless they were under $70, to be honest. They definitely aren't worth their $150 MSRP. However, it is easy to find them for low prices on eBay-I got mine for $30 on eBay after I found out about the deal in the Portable Headphone Deal Thread here.

Nov 26, 2011 at 8:38 PM Post #3 of 4
Thanks bud,
I had originally gotten the Sennheiser HD518 from amazon.com but changed to the Klipsch Image 1 once they came down to ~$95, I only paid $65 because I had a coupon.  BTW have you ever heard the HD518?  I am curious if they have the same punchy bass as the Image 1.  Based on the frequency response curves (http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=3141&graphID[]=2841) it actually looks like the HD518 has better bass response.

Nov 27, 2011 at 7:48 AM Post #4 of 4
The HD518 is indeed quite bassy, but not overly so.  I'd say if you don't need the sound isolation, give the HD518 a shot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back