Klipsch HP-3
Jan 11, 2021 at 6:35 PM Post #406 of 621
How does the HP3 compare to the X2 in term of bass and soundstage ?

Bass is more rolled off on the X2HR but it also bleeds less into the mids compared to the HP-3. The HP-3 has more bass that extends better and has the signature biocellulose character to it.

I find soundstage on the X2HR to be bigger but far less accurate and more "blobby" imaging wise. The HP-3 feel more like a closed or semi-open headphone than an open one as far as soundstage goes. So that is to say, it's rather small, but very accurate.

I know you didn't ask about mids but the mids on the HP-3 are night and day better. No grain and very smooth and lush, albeit slightly recessed, to give the HP-3 that tasteful V-shaped profile. I personally feel that the HP-3 is more v-shaped than the X2HR. Hope that helps.

Jan 13, 2021 at 12:56 PM Post #407 of 621
Bass is more rolled off on the X2HR but it also bleeds less into the mids compared to the HP-3. The HP-3 has more bass that extends better and has the signature biocellulose character to it.

I find soundstage on the X2HR to be bigger but far less accurate and more "blobby" imaging wise. The HP-3 feel more like a closed or semi-open headphone than an open one as far as soundstage goes. So that is to say, it's rather small, but very accurate.

I know you didn't ask about mids but the mids on the HP-3 are night and day better. No grain and very smooth and lush, albeit slightly recessed, to give the HP-3 that tasteful V-shaped profile. I personally feel that the HP-3 is more v-shaped than the X2HR. Hope that helps.

Thank you for your detailed comparison, however a last point, the one million dollar question, in term of pure musical enjoyment and fun only, is HP-3 definitely better than X2 ??

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:06 PM Post #408 of 621
Thank you for your detailed comparison, however a last point, the one million dollar question, in term of pure musical enjoyment and fun only, is HP-3 definitely better than X2 ??
Now that is a loaded question. However, short answer is "yes." The long answer is more complicated since it's so subjective what aspects people find "enjoyable." But from a traditional sense of "fun," yes the HP-3 is more fun and musical since it has more v-shaped with more bass. For me, it's more a question what I'm in the mood for and what music I'm listening to since they sound pretty different, all things considered. However, the only points I can fault the HP-3 on is that the bass bleeds into the mids and the soundstage is on the smaller side. One of those faults might bug you enough to keep you from enjoying it more than the X2HR, but I'm guessing that is unlikely.

Just be aware I don't think the HP-3 is 8x more "enjoyable" than the X2HR, despite what the price difference might suggest. :wink:

Jan 13, 2021 at 2:53 PM Post #409 of 621
I have owned the X2HR and the Hp3 and the Hp3 are better in every aspect and way more musical. Anyways I think it's not fair to compare them because of the huge price difference.

The Hp3 are not perfect headphones (there's no such thing) and they are pricey. Retail price might be too much for them but Im telling you, I paid under 650€ for mine and I think they are worth every penny. They are joy for music because of his sound signature.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:01 PM Post #410 of 621
Thank you theangelboy and Tano, I guess I may give HP-3 a try, I can get them new at 650eur, I’m just worried about soundstage and comfort, that can be a killing point for me.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:10 PM Post #411 of 621
Thank you theangelboy and Tano, I guess I may give HP-3 a try, I can get them new at 650eur, I’m just worried about soundstage and comfort, that can be a killing point for me.
Regarding the comfort you just only have to be creative without altering anything to the headband. Like using a soft piece of cloth you don't use.

And don't worry about the soundstage, it's top notch!

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2021 at 4:26 PM Post #412 of 621

They are very good at that price. Comfort is hit or miss. You might not have any issues with it at all, totally depends on your head shape and there are definitely solutions. As for soundstage, I think the pinpoint accurate imaging more than makes up for the slightly smaller soundstage. The only reason I mentioned is that you have a HD800s listed in your signature and soundstage size isn't the main selling point of the HP-3.

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:41 PM Post #413 of 621
They are very good at that price. Comfort is hit or miss. You might not have any issues with it at all, totally depends on your head shape and there are definitely solutions. As for soundstage, I think the pinpoint accurate imaging more than makes up for the slightly smaller soundstage. The only reason I mentioned is that you have a HD800s listed in your signature and soundstage size isn't the main selling point of the HP-3.

Yep, I have to say that 800s sound BIG, I’m just looking for a different flavor and an easy to drive headphone thru my Mojo

Jan 13, 2021 at 4:46 PM Post #414 of 621
That's a killer price in my opinion. It's a fun and special headphone. Soundstage won't be a problem, althought they are more semi open than open hps, they have a pretty decent soundstage.
The comfort it's not the best but It isn't terrible by any mean. I bought a piece of brown leather and planning to do the headband with the desing of a fellow forumer.

Jan 24, 2021 at 6:53 AM Post #415 of 621
Now that is a loaded question. However, short answer is "yes." The long answer is more complicated since it's so subjective what aspects people find "enjoyable." But from a traditional sense of "fun," yes the HP-3 is more fun and musical since it has more v-shaped with more bass. For me, it's more a question what I'm in the mood for and what music I'm listening to since they sound pretty different, all things considered. However, the only points I can fault the HP-3 on is that the bass bleeds into the mids and the soundstage is on the smaller side. One of those faults might bug you enough to keep you from enjoying it more than the X2HR, but I'm guessing that is unlikely.

Just be aware I don't think the HP-3 is 8x more "enjoyable" than the X2HR, despite what the price difference might suggest. :wink:

So I have ordered a new HP-3 oak, 649eur, I should receive it this week.

I’m just worried about soundstage, I hope it is not too much in your head and does not sound as a closed can. For the bass that blend into the mids, as long as it is not like Meze 99 I would be happy.

I mainly listen rock (Springsteen, the best artist ever for me, Dire Straits, Tracy Chapman, etc), live songs and some pops : all I ask is a better Fidelio X2 in term of technicality, and if as a bonus HP-3 is more fun then I would be more than happy!

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021 at 7:54 AM Post #416 of 621
So I have ordered a new HP-3 oak, 649eur, I should receive it this week.

I’m just worried about soundstage, I hope it is not too much in your head and does not sound as a closed can. For the bass that blend into the mids, as long as it is not like Meze 99 I would be happy.

I’m mainly listening rock (Springsteen, the best artist ever for me, Dire Straits, Tracy Chapman, etc), live songs and some pops : all I ask is a better Fidelio X2 in term of technicality, and if as a bonus HP-3 is more fun then I would be more than happy!
Don't worry. The soundstage is super and it's definitely not in your head. The bass is controlled and well done and treble is silky smooth.
Just be carefull not to increase the volume in the beginning as it may cause fatigue. And also you have to remember the treble and bass might not sound pleasant out of the box so you have to give it a week or so to get used to the new sound. Once you're used to the new sound, you can increase the volume without fatigue and bass and treble will sound lovely.

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:43 AM Post #417 of 621
Don't worry. The soundstage is super and it's definitely not in your head. The bass is controlled and well done and treble is silky smooth.
Just be carefull not to increase the volume in the beginning as it may cause fatigue. And also you have to remember the treble and bass might not sound pleasant out of the box so you have to give it a week or so to get used to the new sound. Once you're used to the new sound, you can increase the volume without fatigue and bass and treble will sound lovely.

Thank you, that’s all good to know

Jan 24, 2021 at 11:57 AM Post #419 of 621
I have Meze 99's and Empyreans and HP-3's. I don't know if many will agree with me, but, and I'll say the HP-3's in my setup sound very similar to the Empyreans (vs for example, my LCD-2's, not so much, rarely listen to the LCD's anymore). The biggest difference between the HP-3's and Empyreans is comfort. HP-3's are much more open sounding than 99's, closer to the Empyreans.

Jan 24, 2021 at 12:14 PM Post #420 of 621
I have Meze 99's and Empyreans and HP-3's. I don't know if many will agree with me, but, and I'll say the HP-3's in my setup sound very similar to the Empyreans (vs for example, my LCD-2's, not so much, rarely listen to the LCD's anymore). The biggest difference between the HP-3's and Empyreans is comfort. HP-3's are much more open sounding than 99's, closer to the Empyreans.
The Empyrean is triple the price :p I woud like to get it too but there is no reason for me at all to spend €2999. The Empyrean looks so fragil btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back