Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
May 2, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,022 of 1,468
I'm guessing when Klipsch increased the MSRP from $1,199 to $1,379 (presumably because of build costs) it put a real damper on those willing to pay that much so Klipsch has made an economic decision to discontinue it. And there will probably never be a future version or sucessor to it.

May 2, 2020 at 1:00 PM Post #1,023 of 1,468
I think you may be right , and it's too bad because they are great phones. I'd love to get a new pair of pads too but I think there's slim chance of that. Too bad the price was just a little too high. If they were made in US I could justify the price increase and maybe even say they were a bargain at $1199. I paid $850 for mine and at that price it was a no brainer. Unlikely I will sell mine too.

May 2, 2020 at 1:01 PM Post #1,024 of 1,468
Do any of you get the feeling that Klipsch has discontinued the HP-3? Crutchfield is usually a good indicator of when items are getting discontinued and now the only HP-3's they have are in their Outlet section. Even Klipsch's website only has the Ebony HP-3's.

I bought a brand new pair of Walnut HP-3's a few months ago and the certificate of authenticity says they were made 10/31/17. These are the first headphones I've ever had that I know I'll never sell. I think, like my Chorus II's and Quartet speakers, they'll last about forever but would like to get at least one pair of backup ear pads as those do wear out. I've contacted Klipsch about buying some but haven't heard back yet. Anybody gotten replacement pads from them?
The Heritage Klipsch HP 3 is a 70 years anniversary edition of Klipsch legacy... So do we have to wait for ... another 70 years?:L3000:

May 2, 2020 at 1:03 PM Post #1,025 of 1,468
@rmsanger how much is the HP 3 now?
I am using the same Satin silver balanced cable of the Meze 99 classics for the Klipsch HP 3

20191225_144851.jpg20200224_200552.jpg
I got mine for $700 used and that is a great value for me. I would assume you can find new for ~$1000

May 2, 2020 at 1:27 PM Post #1,027 of 1,468
New not so easy. And cables? The Meze ones fit in the Klipsch but not the other way around
Well, the HP-3 comes with 2 cables, I'd have traded one of those for an extra set of ear pads. And Klipsch made replacing them for a new pair as easy as can be (unlike let's say, Audeze).

May 2, 2020 at 1:34 PM Post #1,028 of 1,468
I have the feeling too the HP-3 is being discontinued. I mean, they are very underrated from what I understand. I'm thinking to give up and get one before it gets discontinued/sold out. HP-3 is now €998,99.

May 2, 2020 at 2:14 PM Post #1,030 of 1,468
@maggie17fan : so are you still enjoying the Klipsch Chorus II's and Quartet speakers? Do you feel that the HP 3 mimics the sound signature of Klipsch speakers?
I have the Chorus II's at my office and the Quartet's at home so am still enjoying both of them. And I do think the HP-3's have that Heritage sound signature. After having Grado's, and HD-580's/650's, and Meze 99 Classic's I bought Audeze LCD-2C's. I do think the 2C's are noticeably better then those, but was disappointed in their low end quantity and impact (though what's there really low is audible whereas the others smear it a bit). Within a minute of my first listen to the HP-3's I heard what was what I was missing in the other headphones. More drive, impact, fullness to the music. The low end rarely gets overwhelmed. Billie Eilish's latest CD doesn't bother them. The top end has never bothered me. Most anything is now more listenable. And this is from listening usually to my iPhone (Apple lossless), so in my opinion a headphone amp is not a necessity with them, though they will ramp up a notch with a good one (using a Ray Samuels Hornet portable).

May 2, 2020 at 2:17 PM Post #1,031 of 1,468
I have the Chorus II's at my office and the Quartet's at home so am still enjoying both of them. And I do think the HP-3's have that Heritage sound signature. After having Grado's, and HD-580's/650's, and Meze 99 Classic's I bought Audeze LCD-2C's. I do think the 2C's are noticeably better then those, but was disappointed in their low end quantity and impact (though what's there really low is audible whereas the others smear it a bit). Within a minute of my first listen to the HP-3's I heard what was what I was missing in the other headphones. More drive, impact, fullness to the music. The low end rarely gets overwhelmed. Billie Eilish's latest CD doesn't bother them. The top end has never bothered me. Most anything is now more listenable. And this is from listening usually to my iPhone (Apple lossless), so in my opinion a headphone amp is not a necessity with them, though they will ramp up a notch with a good one (using a Ray Samuels Hornet portable).
And how would you describe the HP-3 against the Meze 99 Classics?

May 2, 2020 at 3:02 PM Post #1,032 of 1,468
The Classics aren't bad especially if you can get a pair of the equivalent Meze Noirs from Massdrop when they are on sale for $160. If that's your spending limit I'd certainly recommend them. But the HP-3's are noticeably better in all respects (except in comfort, the Meze's are just soooo comfortable). The HP-3 midrange and highs are more clear and detailed, more focused, highs are never shrill (at least to my ears). The Meze's being closed are probably at a bit of a disadvantage there and if they ever came out with an open back version I'd be interested in those. The Meze's low end is nice and full (one reason I'd recommend them) but again, the HP-3's are just better cruising along listening to the low end music highway. I do listen to the Meze's and LCD-2C's from time to time (the Sennheisers, not anymore) but I'm always thinking about how this or that is lacking or missing compared to the HP-3's.

May 2, 2020 at 3:16 PM Post #1,033 of 1,468
@maggie17fan
Yes, I have Meze 99 Classics too. The HP-3 have been on my list for a while and am gathering opinions and reviews before I'll buy one. How are the vocals for you?

May 2, 2020 at 3:21 PM Post #1,034 of 1,468
I'm pretty sure the HP-3 has been discontinued. I ordered the walnut model from an online store but received the ebony model. When I contacted them they said the walnut was unavailable and they weren't getting any more. My choice was either refund or keep the ebony. I kept the ebony.

May 2, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,035 of 1,468
Let me listen to my Classics and HP-3's in detail this weekend and I'll let you know. I need to listen to some various artists and compare. Any in particular?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back