Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Mar 1, 2017 at 1:37 AM Post #211 of 1,468
One more update for you guys - here's the preliminary rendering of the headphone stand that we're planning to include in the package. The copper piece at the base is intended to function almost like a screwdriver socket. It's magnetic and the bent steel (10mm) rod will magnetically attach to the socket. The top pad will be some form of silicon/soft material in case you drop the headphone (don't want that wood getting scuffed up). This one's coming from a sub-supplier so other than a plastic 3D print, I don't have any real photography just yet.

Guys and gals, please let me know of anything we missed on this stand. Just like the feedback on LEMO vs Mini-XLR vs HR-10 vs 3.5mm connector, we'll get it done. Head-Fi has helped us solve some of the "on-the-fence" issues very quickly. We really appreciate it. Thank you!

Really like the look of the stand, only one question, can you add something to the headband rest that is a little wider? Maybe a semi-stiff silicone crescent? With as thin as that looks, I would be concerned with the headband forming a permanent indentation. It doesn't need to be overly large, maybe just 1.5in wide, just enough so the weight is distributed over a wider surface area.

Mar 1, 2017 at 1:39 AM Post #212 of 1,468
Interesting design choices. One thing I'd add, maybe you could periodically update the first post with the current headphone design notes/models, so that people coming into the thread can see where it stands, instead of looking through the thread itself.

Mar 1, 2017 at 6:39 AM Post #214 of 1,468

One more update for you guys - here's the preliminary rendering of the headphone stand that we're planning to include in the package. The copper piece at the base is intended to function almost like a screwdriver socket. It's magnetic and the bent steel (10mm) rod will magnetically attach to the socket. The top pad will be some form of silicon/soft material in case you drop the headphone (don't want that wood getting scuffed up). This one's coming from a sub-supplier so other than a plastic 3D print, I don't have any real photography just yet.

Guys and gals, please let me know of anything we missed on this stand. Just like the feedback on LEMO vs Mini-XLR vs HR-10 vs 3.5mm connector, we'll get it done. Head-Fi has helped us solve some of the "on-the-fence" issues very quickly. We really appreciate it. Thank you!

​A place to loop and hold the cables would be nice. Also It may be better to have the contact area for the headband be wider (ala Audioquest's headphone stand) so that the pressure is better spread out. :)

Mar 1, 2017 at 7:57 AM Post #215 of 1,468
Really like the look of the stand, only one question, can you add something to the headband rest that is a little wider? Maybe a semi-stiff silicone crescent? With as thin as that looks, I would be concerned with the headband forming a permanent indentation. It doesn't need to be overly large, maybe just 1.5in wide, just enough so the weight is distributed over a wider surface area.

We will definitely be studying what happens after the headphone rests on the stand after an extended period. I definitely don't want to deform the headphone either.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:01 AM Post #216 of 1,468
Still planning on building a matching amp for the flagship?

Yes, most definitely. We initially wanted a modified version of the Fostex HP-A4BL, but it lacked any analog in/out so it required heavy surgery. We determined that the scope was starting to creep and the redesign was counter-productive. Instead we chose to do our own ground up design. I think you guys will like it way better. What I can confirm is that it will use an ES9018K2M Sabre DAC and genuine walnut as well as XLR-4 balanced operation. More to come on the finalized design!

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:47 AM Post #217 of 1,468
​A place to loop and hold the cables would be nice. Also It may be better to have the contact area for the headband be wider (ala Audioquest's headphone stand) so that the pressure is better spread out. :)

This is a great idea. Also agree with others' comments about increasing bearing surface for the headband.

Additionally, the height of the bent rod and length of its extension will determine the extent of the flagpole effect (wobble) once the headphones are placed on the stand. The copper socket/sleeve may have to be taller.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:48 AM Post #218 of 1,468
Yes, most definitely. We initially wanted a modified version of the Fostex HP-A4BL, but it lacked any analog in/out so it required heavy surgery. We determined that the scope was starting to creep and the redesign was counter-productive. Instead we chose to do our own ground up design. I think you guys will like it way better. What I can confirm is that it will use an ES9018K2M Sabre DAC and genuine walnut as well as XLR-4 balanced operation. More to come on the finalized design!

That sounds sexy!

Mar 1, 2017 at 3:49 PM Post #219 of 1,468
This is a great idea. Also agree with others' comments about increasing bearing surface for the headband.

Additionally, the height of the bent rod and length of its extension will determine the extent of the flagpole effect (wobble) once the headphones are placed on the stand. The copper socket/sleeve may have to be taller.

We had an SLA mock-up of the headphone stand done and will test the design to make sure it doesn't warp the headband. You don't have to worry about the flagpole effect as the tolerance for the rod and the socket will be controlled tightly. In other words, if the hole is + 0.01-0.02mm of the 10mm steel rod the weight of the headphone can't bend it nor will their be any wobble. Another idea is instead of using a flat silicon pad on the top of the cutout would be to use high density memory foam and fill the rod cutout, creating a pillowy cushion and further minimizing potential stress on one single point.

Regardless, the feedback is noted and we will be very watchful for any potential long-term issue. After all, I'll be getting a bunch of these stands for my home listening room and they damn well better perform admirably.

Mar 1, 2017 at 5:36 PM Post #220 of 1,468
We had an SLA mock-up of the headphone stand done and will test the design to make sure it doesn't warp the headband. You don't have to worry about the flagpole effect as the tolerance for the rod and the socket will be controlled tightly. In other words, if the hole is + 0.01-0.02mm of the 10mm steel rod the weight of the headphone can't bend it nor will their be any wobble. Another idea is instead of using a flat silicon pad on the top of the cutout would be to use high density memory foam and fill the rod cutout, creating a pillowy cushion and further minimizing potential stress on one single point.

Regardless, the feedback is noted and we will be very watchful for any potential long-term issue. After all, I'll be getting a bunch of these stands for my home listening room and they damn well better perform admirably.

Good to hear! You folks are on top of everything. I'm very impressed with your team's attention to detail.

Mar 1, 2017 at 8:45 PM Post #222 of 1,468
Any idea when these will be coming to market? I seem to recall reading sometime in Q3. 

Right now we are shooting for Sept or Oct. If it's later than Oct, I will make a new post looking for Vlad's replacement...lol just kidding!

We are pushing really hard for a small qty in Sept and some qty will be set aside for Headfi.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:07 PM Post #223 of 1,468

Wow, super interested in this as well, I look forward to any updates you give on it.

Mar 1, 2017 at 9:43 PM Post #224 of 1,468
Have you considered building just a straight balanced headphone amp minus the DAC? I think that would be a better seller and it would drop the price since most people around here have a nice external DAC. If you do go the all in one route, maybe consider the AD1955 chip instead of the ESS 9018. A lot of people are not big fans of the Sabre sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back