Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Jan 17, 2017 at 11:47 PM Post #121 of 1,468
If you were a woman, I'll marry you, doesn't matter how ugly you are :deadhorse:  
PS: I'm not calling you ugly, I'm just in love.

Nice save, but I don't think you'll be getting a Christmas card this year...

Jan 18, 2017 at 2:53 AM Post #122 of 1,468
I'd prefer a cable that does not lock. I'd rather yank the cable out ala 3.5 / 2.5mm than yank the insides of the headphone out like any locking or even mini-XLR, which technically also locks... Never had any issues with 3.5 coming loose...

Jan 18, 2017 at 12:31 PM Post #124 of 1,468
Did that Klipsch  fella really make headphone in 1919? I saw in Innerfidelty CES video with none other than the famous Tyll.

This makes it b4 beyer right? Eugene Beyer

@2:45

Jan 18, 2017 at 1:28 PM Post #125 of 1,468
Yes, Paul W. Klipsch made a modified headphone in 1919. It started as a Brandes Superior telegraph headphone, made in New York. Paul then tinkered with the drivers to make them sound good for listening to music while wiring them for balanced stereo with a pair of lamp cords and some 1/4 connectors. He also then worked on personally recording multiple orchestra's in stereo for demonstrating the original Klipschorn years later.

Jan 19, 2017 at 1:22 AM Post #126 of 1,468
On the cabling matter, it's really not that hard to make it both dual and single entry. Clever use of switched three pole jacks in the cups will let you do both single ended and balanced cabling options without fear of shorting something accidentally.

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:14 PM Post #129 of 1,468
Jan 23, 2017 at 4:37 PM Post #131 of 1,468
  No replies yet to this thread? Seriously guys ... we have a Klipsch representative asking us to help with the development of future products. Sorry about that Steve.

I'm extremely interested in the Heritage HB1. I know some Headfiers would love to beta test this model and make some tuning recommendations, I certainly would. The units shown at CES look gorgeous by the way, no suggestions as far as aesthetics are concerned. 

The tuning is ultimately what will make or break these headphones as far as the hardcore headfi community is concerned. These days, there are a number of great sounding headphones in the $800-$1500 price bracket so you need to make sure that the tuning is spot on. Comfort is also huge. In my opinion, it is equally important. I have had a number of great sounding headphones that I ultimately sold because they just didn't feel right on my head. 

I think one other area that headphone manufacturers don't spend quite enough time on is the pads. Different pad materials, foams, shapes etc. can have a huge effect on a headphones tuning so please test different pads to see which sounds the best. I know the leather looks pretty but who knows, maybe a velour sounds the best. Be open to offering different pads to let users tune the sound to their preferences. Oh, a balanced cable would be a sweet accessory as well.

Other than that, you seem to be off to a great start. 

Community - Lets get some feedback going to make these some killer headphones.

Well, I can't give feedback without hearing them. :p

Jan 23, 2017 at 4:42 PM Post #132 of 1,468

I'm not a fan of dust and debris getting into the driver, but think any material over the driver should be sonically transparent. I think if you have to use material to fine tune or filter the sound, then more development of the driver should have occurred instead.

Jan 23, 2017 at 5:30 PM Post #133 of 1,468
A sonically transparent cover as part of the earpads or on the driver is usually desirable. It's funny how when you remove it on many headphones, the sound oftentimes gets a bit brighter, usually undesirably so. So, it depends 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 23, 2017 at 7:36 PM Post #134 of 1,468
We are deciding on a Scrim cloth vs no Scrim cloth.  Anyone have an opinion on this?

I asked about the use of fabric several days ago. I don't have an opinion one way or the other. I was simply intrigued by the selection/elimination process. But feel free to ship a pair for my ears to test. I'd happily sign an NDA and provide a credit card for deposit. :)

Jan 24, 2017 at 2:30 AM Post #135 of 1,468
  We are deciding on a Scrim cloth vs no Scrim cloth.  Anyone have an opinion on this?

One vote for yes. My general experience with most headphones is that I prefer having the cloth. Acoustically transparent is usually applicable at speaker range, but at headphone range there is (to my ears) a diffusion effect that helps cut down on sharpness and uneven waveforms due to driver proximity.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back