Klipsch High End Over Ear-your input appreciated
Jan 15, 2017 at 8:20 PM Post #106 of 1,468
Do you like all three proposed finish choices? Ebony, Walnut and Oak

will these be options before purchasing or something you are not decided on for final design choice?

imo the darkest colour wood (ebony) with metal accents will look the most premium as lighter colour woods and other materials can make a headphone look like expensive car interior which can be hit or miss.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:34 PM Post #107 of 1,468
A little input on the driver/tuning;

For the high end model i would like to see a well balanced sound, extended treble (its gotta be silky smooth though!) nothing worse than getting fatuiged after 20 mins no matter how "detailed" it sounds, good soundstage and most importantly, a fast driver as not all audiophiles like slow jazz. i love metal so transient response is very important to me and the lowest total harmonic distortion you can get it down to.

cheers & good luck!
beerchug.gif

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:44 PM Post #108 of 1,468
  Hello Vlad & Steve,

First of all thank you for asking for feedback well before the release and for the sensible price points especially considering the insane escalation in prices we have seen over the last 7 years or so.

I'm in the market for a headphone around $1000 and the HP1 is now on my radar.

I think Headfiers before me have covered the basics like fit and comfort, I just wanted to add my 2 cents to the tuning discussion.

Many members on this forum and other audio forums have been eagerly awaiting for a successor/big brother to the legendary Senn HD650.

Sennheiser went in a totally different direction with the HD700 & 800 and I believe there is a great opportunity for you guys to fill this gap.

There is no headphone that currently exists that takes the 650s strengths i.e smooth, sibilance free treble and balanced midrange and counters it's main weakness which is lack of defined, tight, deep bass.

Maybe the Focal Utopia but that is $4000.......

All $1000+ headphones have 1 or two major flaws. The Focal Elears came very close but then it has a major upper midrange dip in the frequency response which was a deal breaker for many.

The Massdrop HD6XX sold out 5000 units within hours. There are 40,000 + people interested in a second run. I think this is sufficient proof that most people gravitate towards a balanced, slightly warm tuning.

I hope you guys are able to do something along these lines with the HP1. In my view the flagship model has to be Hi fidelity by definition and must have a neutral tuning which is faithful to the recording.

Good luck!

Well said, i fully agree.

Jan 15, 2017 at 8:51 PM Post #109 of 1,468
Anyone else slightly disturbed by the several suggestions to make a HD650-ripoff? I find that HP to be boring, and I certainly hope Klipsch does far better than to make a Sennheiser V2.0 / wannabe product.

No one is asking for a sennheiser rip off. There are a lot of headphones with emphasized peaky treble and then look at the legendary status the 650 has, theres a reason its still being made after all those years.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:09 PM Post #111 of 1,468
I like all the back and forth about the sound signature. To shed a little light I'm going to paint a bit of a picture for you - I really enjoy comparing the inherent differences and properties of a good two-channel listening setup and a pair of headphones. As a matter of fact, that's one test I tend to do with all competitive headphones at home, in front of my RF-82 II system. Of course we have the tools to do the actual measurements in the office (and we measure everything), but I like comparing a set of headphones to a pair of speakers for a number of reasons.

The first, speakers are what most people are used to hearing. I've sat in recording studios, in front of numerous home theater setups, and in controlled listening rooms. Another awesome benefit of working at Klipsch. I've also had the privilege to listen to many systems setup by some of the best acoustical engineers in the world. Many headphones sound quite different than a good set of speakers. There are two tell-tale signs from headphones that try too hard to have their own house sound: muddy voices or sharp highs. A combination of the two is arguably the worst case scenario.

When putting on a headphone and listening to the same content, oftentimes (with several notable exclusions) an "audiophile" headphone tends to sound like a good bookshelf speaker. This is both a good and a bad thing - a bad thing because oftentimes sub-bass information gets compromised for the sake of retaining good lower-midrange. On some open-back models, bass guitars have simply been flipped to "mute". A special variety of these headphones then decide to boost high frequencies in a way that encourages your ears to bleed after half an hour. I'm not looking to making our customers want to peel these headphones off after such a short period. I'm also not looking for a headphone that completely sacrifices bass. Good speakers sound good with music of more than one genre, as should headphones.

On the flip-side, the consumer-centric versions tend to immediately color things, voices first. They get dark and muddy, details get crunchy, and lower frequencies take the forefront. This is not the right way to treat bass. Over-doing it here is what will have us being compared to cheap headphones.

Now, measured frequency response does reveal some information about the way the product sounds. However, two headphones that measure virtually the same can sound quite different, especially on YOUR head with YOUR ears. What we want is a neutral frequency response with bass extension, high frequency extension, and an honest soundstage. We will do our absolute best to achieve it and probably be looking for your feedback throughout CanJam events throughout the year. We haven't settled on which we'll be attending, but fully expect to be exposed to the pre-production models for anyone fortunate enough to be able to travel and see us.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:21 PM Post #112 of 1,468
Something to suggest as well is, for the most part it is preferred to have one cord exiting out of one ear cup as apposed to both which the pictures show the flagship doing. If the engineers at Klipsch could get that to one it may be worthwhile. 

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:24 PM Post #113 of 1,468
  Something to suggest as well is, for the most part it is preferred to have one cord exiting out of one ear cup as apposed to both which the pictures show the flagship doing. If the engineers at Klipsch could get that to one it may be worthwhile. 

No please, that would kill the product.

EDIT: Here's why: 99% of headphones over 500usd have two connectors for balanced operation, and they said the lemo connectors on the flagship will be changed to a more common type.
Only headphone with one connector and that price is AKG K812, and look at all the complains here because of that.
My guess is that they should use a mini XLR like Audeze, as it is the most common type of aftermarket cable.
Many people can have their new headphone with their existing cable without buying one, and also take advantage of a balanced amplifier.

Doing something like AKG did is like mmm...a suicide.

Jan 17, 2017 at 2:26 PM Post #114 of 1,468
I like all the back and forth about the sound signature. To shed a little light I'm going to paint a bit of a picture for you - I really enjoy comparing the inherent differences and properties of a good two-channel listening setup and a pair of headphones. As a matter of fact, that's one test I tend to do with all competitive headphones at home, in front of my RF-82 II system. Of course we have the tools to do the actual measurements in the office (and we measure everything), but I like comparing a set of headphones to a pair of speakers for a number of reasons.

The first, speakers are what most people are used to hearing. I've sat in recording studios, in front of numerous home theater setups, and in controlled listening rooms. Another awesome benefit of working at Klipsch. I've also had the privilege to listen to many systems setup by some of the best acoustical engineers in the world. Many headphones sound quite different than a good set of speakers. There are two tell-tale signs from headphones that try too hard to have their own house sound: muddy voices or sharp highs. A combination of the two is arguably the worst case scenario.

When putting on a headphone and listening to the same content, oftentimes (with several notable exclusions) an "audiophile" headphone tends to sound like a good bookshelf speaker. This is both a good and a bad thing - a bad thing because oftentimes sub-bass information gets compromised for the sake of retaining good lower-midrange. On some open-back models, bass guitars have simply been flipped to "mute". A special variety of these headphones then decide to boost high frequencies in a way that encourages your ears to bleed after half an hour. I'm not looking to making our customers want to peel these headphones off after such a short period. I'm also not looking for a headphone that completely sacrifices bass. Good speakers sound good with music of more than one genre, as should headphones.

On the flip-side, the consumer-centric versions tend to immediately color things, voices first. They get dark and muddy, details get crunchy, and lower frequencies take the forefront. This is not the right way to treat bass. Over-doing it here is what will have us being compared to cheap headphones.

Now, measured frequency response does reveal some information about the way the product sounds. However, two headphones that measure virtually the same can sound quite different, especially on YOUR head with YOUR ears. What we want is a neutral frequency response with bass extension, high frequency extension, and an honest soundstage. We will do our absolute best to achieve it and probably be looking for your feedback throughout CanJam events throughout the year. We haven't settled on which we'll be attending, but fully expect to be exposed to the pre-production models for anyone fortunate enough to be able to travel and see us.

Loved reading that, thank you. I think most "totl" headphones really don't pay enough attention to bass quantity. They focus on extension and quality, of course. I am not exactly a bass-head, but I still highly value balanced and accurate mids and treble - but it sounds boring without the excitement bass can bring.

If you go to the Rocky Mountain Audio Festival, I'll be there!

I'm excited to follow the development of these!

Jan 17, 2017 at 4:40 PM Post #115 of 1,468

No please, that would kill the product.

EDIT: Here's why: 99% of headphones over 500usd have two connectors for balanced operation, and they said the lemo connectors on the flagship will be changed to a more common type.
Only headphone with one connector and that price is AKG K812, and look at all the complains here because of that.
My guess is that they should use a mini XLR like Audeze, as it is the most common type of aftermarket cable.
Many people can have their new headphone with their existing cable without buying one, and also take advantage of a balanced amplifier.

Doing something like AKG did is like mmm...a suicide.

I love Head-Fi because most of these questions sort themselves out. :)

To your point, yes, the flagship has two wires while the others will ideally have just one. Of course the wireless models and ANC models will require a single cable. I love the convenience of single-cable but the serviceability, robustness, and balanced operation basically drive the two-cable designs.

Jan 17, 2017 at 5:33 PM Post #116 of 1,468
  What we want is a neutral frequency response with bass extension, high frequency extension, and an honest soundstage. We will do our absolute best to achieve it and probably be looking for your feedback throughout CanJam events throughout the year.

Bravo. That's what I like to hear. I am confident you will achieve your goal. Looking forward to it.

Jan 17, 2017 at 7:53 PM Post #118 of 1,468
  Mini XLR for the connectors would be awesome, but really, any commonly used connector would work. 3.5mm would probably be the best for aftermarket cable support. 

I think the push-pull connector is honestly the best solution. 3.5mm is even better but the problem is they tend to either snap entirely (under force) or become loose over time and are easy to tug away from the headphone the moment you catch the wire with your hand. The weak point is always the divider between the rings. The solution to this is a screw-type 3.5mm, but then that completely negates the aftermarket segment (which is more than annoying). Stay tuned as we're getting this solidified over the next week or two.

Jan 17, 2017 at 8:24 PM Post #119 of 1,468
I think the push-pull connector is honestly the best solution. 3.5mm is even better but the problem is they tend to either snap entirely (under force) or become loose over time and are easy to tug away from the headphone the moment you catch the wire with your hand. The weak point is always the divider between the rings. The solution to this is a screw-type 3.5mm, but then that completely negates the aftermarket segment (which is more than annoying). Stay tuned as we're getting this solidified over the next week or two.

What are your observations on the mini XLR connectors? Purely from a balanced drive and aftermarket cable support perspective, they seem strong contenders. I'd be interested to hear your take as a manufacturer

Jan 17, 2017 at 11:31 PM Post #120 of 1,468

I love Head-Fi because most of these questions sort themselves out. :)

To your point, yes, the flagship has two wires while the others will ideally have just one. Of course the wireless models and ANC models will require a single cable. I love the convenience of single-cable but the serviceability, robustness, and balanced operation basically drive the two-cable designs.

If you were a woman, I'll marry you, doesn't matter how ugly you are 
deadhorse.gif

PS: I'm not calling you ugly, I'm just in love.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back