Klipsch heritage amplifier
Feb 1, 2018 at 12:06 PM Post #16 of 52
Great review!!!! I think i will go with the Audio-GD R2R-11 now though. It just seems like it will work with more headphones.
Nice review, but you also listed the wrong DAC model in your review. The specifications you posted on the last page list is correctly, but your first page has the same typo that every other publication for this unit has.

Looks interesting, but I haven't heard of the ESS ES90128K2M before, I've heard of the ES9012 and the ES9018, but not a ES90128...is that a typo? Google search on the chip only comes up with this amplifier. So it's either a typo or a new chip that is only being used by this unit right now.

EDIT: It does seem to be a typo that is now all over the internet, because the PDF spec sheet for this amp lists it as the ESS Sabre32 ES9018K2M, which is an older but popular chip.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2018 at 9:49 AM Post #18 of 52
Here is an inside photo of Heritage amplifier.
I took this at Klipsch booth, CanJam NYC 2018.
9937075_l.jpg

Mar 7, 2018 at 10:19 AM Post #19 of 52
@Ultrainferno I read your review on this one and I see you also reviewed the Fostex HP-A4. I know the A4BL is based on the A4 so it does involve a bit of guesswork, but based on your experience with those two units, would you recommend one over the other for my Sennheiser HD6xx?
I can pick up an unused Fostex A4BL for £300 or the Klipsch for £500. I'm currently using my Grace Design m9xx and looking at going balanced for the added power/control etc.
Any thoughts or 'educated guesses' would be most welcome.

Mar 7, 2018 at 11:17 AM Post #20 of 52
@Ultrainferno I read your review on this one and I see you also reviewed the Fostex HP-A4. I know the A4BL is based on the A4 so it does involve a bit of guesswork, but based on your experience with those two units, would you recommend one over the other for my Sennheiser HD6xx?
I can pick up an unused Fostex A4BL for £300 or the Klipsch for £500. I'm currently using my Grace Design m9xx and looking at going balanced for the added power/control etc.
Any thoughts or 'educated guesses' would be most welcome.

I can't remember having reviewed the Fostex out of memory. Are you sure it wasn't another HFN reviewer?

Last edited:
Mar 7, 2018 at 11:34 AM Post #21 of 52
Last edited:
Mar 8, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #22 of 52
I have another question, probably best directed at Klipsch if any of their staff are watching.
Just cruising around looking for information on the Headphone Amp, I noticed a couple of photos in various places of it looking very different at CES 2017:
http://www.avsforum.com/klipsch-tea...er-ear-headphones-and-usb-dacamp-at-ces-2017/
https://smart-sound.jp/stuffblog/blog/klipsch-heritage

In those images, it's clearly a Fostex HP-A4BL with wooden cheeks and a copper volume knob.

Does anyone know why this is? I know that the Fostex now uses BurrBrown DAC and the Klipsch uses ESS Sabre and of course the Klipsch has analogue inputs so there are many differences in the final products, but I'm curious.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:02 PM Post #24 of 52
Hi all, so I have a unique opportunity to get a new one of these Klipsch headphone amps at half-price. Up until now I was waiting to pull the trigger on a Schiit Modi2U/Magni3 stack but with this opportunity I'm wondering if that's the better choice. Some considerations:
  • Calling me an amateur audiophile would probably be too generous, I'm just a guy on a budget that enjoys good sound.
  • I'm looking for a combo DAC/Headphone amp for my desktop
  • This will likely be my primary headphone driver for the foreseeable future
  • Current headphones include Philips SHP-9500s, ATH-M50 (my wife mostly uses these), and TFZ Series 4 IEMs.
  • I'm a bit on the sensitive side with harsh treble (I have to EQ my FiiO E10K when I use the M50s because the highs kill me, no such trouble on my other headphones)
  • I enjoy good sub-bass presence, though I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a basshead
  • Future Headphones I have my eye on (likely 1+ year from now): ZMF Classics, ZMF Blackwood, Senn HD6XX, Senn HD58X Jubilee
  • The balanced output on the Klipsch is a big draw for me (future proofing)
  • I would love to have a fixed line out from the DAC portion for a separate speaker amp, was going to use splitters on the Modi2U so the option to use fixed/variable line out on Klipsch is very appealing
  • I like them both about the same aesthetically so that's not much of a consideration for me, the tactile switches on the Klipsch seem nice though
  • Though the reviews for the Klipsch are largely positive that i've found (multiple compared it to the Beyerdynamic A20, a $3XX headphone amp with no DAC), there is FAR more evidence of the quality of the Modi/Magni stack
  • I'm a little concerned about the Warm signature described. Though I enjoy a warm sound, the level of how warm this amp is seems unclear, some reviewers say it is quite warm and some say it is only slightly off neutral.
I think that about sums up my thoughts. Am I overthinking this and the fact that it's a $500 dac/amp I can get for $250 makes it a no-brainer? I would likely be happy in the end with either route but was curious to get some thoughts from those of you that have heard this thing!

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:09 PM Post #25 of 52
Hi all, so I have a unique opportunity to get a new one of these Klipsch headphone amps at half-price. Up until now I was waiting to pull the trigger on a Schiit Modi2U/Magni3 stack but with this opportunity I'm wondering if that's the better choice. Some considerations:
  • Calling me an amateur audiophile would probably be too generous, I'm just a guy on a budget that enjoys good sound.
  • Current headphones include Philips SHP-9500s, ATH-M50 (my wife mostly uses these), and TFZ Series 4 IEMs.
  • I'm a bit on the sensitive side with harsh treble (I have to EQ my FiiO E10K when I use the M50s because the highs kill me, no such trouble on my other headphones)
  • I enjoy good sub-bass presence, though I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a basshead
  • Future Headphones I have my eye on (likely 1+ year from now): ZMF Classics, ZMF Blackwood, Senn HD6XX, Senn HD58X Jubilee
  • I would love to have a fixed line out from the DAC portion for a separate speaker amp, was going to use splitters on the Modi2U so the option to use fixed/variable line out on Klipsch is very appealing
  • I like them both about the same aesthetically so that's not much of a consideration for me, the tactile switches on the Klipsch seem nice though
  • Though the reviews for the Klipsch are largely positive that i've found (multiple compared it to the Beyerdynamic A20, a $3XX headphone amp with no DAC), there is FAR more evidence of the quality of the Modi/Magni stack
  • I'm a little concerned about the Warm signature described. Though I enjoy a warm sound, the level of how warm this amp is seems unclear, some reviewers say it is quite warm and some say it is only slightly off neutral.
I think that about sums up my thoughts. Am I overthinking this and the fact that it's a $500 dac/amp I can get for $250 makes it a no-brainer? I would likely be happy in the end with either route but was curious to get some thoughts from those of you that have heard this thing!
Congrats on your purchase. At $250, that's a steal.
As for the warmness discussion, I would say it's on the warm side but not too much. Treble is smooth but not super resolving. I like my Heritage amplifier paired with Klipsch HP-3 and Audio Technica ADX5000.

Apr 18, 2018 at 3:48 PM Post #26 of 52

Can you get me that deal

Apr 18, 2018 at 5:03 PM Post #27 of 52
Congrats on your purchase. At $250, that's a steal.
As for the warmness discussion, I would say it's on the warm side but not too much. Treble is smooth but not super resolving. I like my Heritage amplifier paired with Klipsch HP-3 and Audio Technica ADX5000.

Thanks very much for your feedback, I will be getting the Klipsch soon then unless someone comes in here and gives me a good reason otherwise.

Can you get me that deal

Unfortunately this is not something that is possible to share or I'd spread the love!

Apr 24, 2018 at 3:35 AM Post #28 of 52
Hi All, I just stumbled across this interesting DAC/AMP when I was looking for newer alternatives to HP-A4BL. The size and look are good and the price is decent (local price is significantly higher than MSRP $499). But may I ask how hot will it get after using for a long time? Also is there any noticeable delay for the audio when playing games? Thank you.

Apr 24, 2018 at 6:48 AM Post #29 of 52
It doesn’t get hot at all. Mildly warm after 10 hours of continuous playing music. I have never used this amp for gaming so that I cannot answer your second question.

Apr 24, 2018 at 12:45 PM Post #30 of 52
It doesn’t get hot at all. Mildly warm after 10 hours of continuous playing music. I have never used this amp for gaming so that I cannot answer your second question.
Thanks! Good to know that it doesn't get hot. One of the reason I could not make up my mind to get a Schiit JOTUNHEIM was because I heard that it was hot.
For latency issue I only asked because it happened when I tried to use my ZX300 as dac/amp, I have not heard of this problem for most dac/amp so it should be OK.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back