Klipsch Custom3 vs Audio Technica AD900
Jul 4, 2008 at 7:06 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Goit

500+ Head-Fier
I'm trying to find people who have heard the custom3s. There doesn't seem to be a lot.

Anyways, I'm only going to use these to listen to classical music (mostly Baroque/Early music in HIP)

I'm looking for
lush sound
rich tone colors
tight, controlled bass, not boomy, not bloated
airy
bright
warm
spiritual(as in bright and warm)

For those who have heard the Custom3s, can you share your impressions with me?

Thanks.

Jul 4, 2008 at 10:26 AM Post #2 of 12
This is an unusual comparison so you may not get many responses. I have the AD700 and I've read the AD900 is the AD700 with more bass and less soundstage. Baroque and Early music don’t require require deep bass but they do need a broad soundstage so the AD700 could be the cheaper and better choice. If you’re willing to spend between $200 and $300, you have several excellent classical phones to choose from: The Beyerdynamic HT880 and the Sennheiser HD600 come to mind. I own both and they need an amp to sing at their best. Another good choice requiring an amp is the YUIN PK1. I own this far too expensive earbud ($159) and think it would be a mind blowing experience to have Baroque and Early music suspended in space before me with no visable means of support because this is one of the few phones that can literally disappear in your ears and recreate the experience of speakers arrayed before you and that's a very rare treat indeed and coupled with Baroque and Early Music is something so sublime, it should only be heard in Heaven.
wink.gif

Jul 4, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #3 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I own this far too expensive earbud ($159) and think it would be a mind blowing experience to have Baroque and Early music suspended in space before me with no visable means of support because this is one of the few phones that can literally disappear in your ears and recreate the experience of speakers arrayed before you and that's a very rare treat indeed and coupled with Baroque and Early Music is something so sublime, it should only be heard in Heaven.
wink.gif

So you think it's better than the Custom3? Klipsch said that it's designed for classical/jazz type of music. I'll look into the Yuin.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:25 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you think it's better than the Custom3? Klipsch said that it's designed for classical/jazz type of music. I'll look into the Yuin.

I tried the Klipsch Custom 3 and found it was impossible to get a decent seal, as the stem was too short for my ears.

I do own the PK1,2 and OK 1,2 and 3. I find the OK2 to be a superb phone for classical and baroque. It is easily driven even without external amplification.

Jul 4, 2008 at 4:28 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFlight /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I tried the Klipsch Custom 3 and found it was impossible to get a decent seal, as the stem was too short for my ears.

I do own the PK1,2 and OK 1,2 and 3. I find the OK2 to be a superb phone for classical and baroque. It is easily driven even without external amplification.

I actually like short stems, because I don't like shoving things too deep.

How was the sound on the Custom3?

Actually, nevermind the Audio technica. Audio Cubes ship japanese models, and they often ship from japan using EMS, and the import dues are HIGH.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:21 PM Post #7 of 12
It's vs 700 now.

The only place for me to get the 900 is from audio cubes. And they ship japanese models with japanese manuals and you even have to send it to japan for RMA. They also ship from Japan using EMS with extremely high import dues. Audio technica US only carries the AD700.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #8 of 12
"lush sound
rich tone colors
tight, controlled bass, not boomy, not bloated
airy
bright
warm
spiritual(as in bright and warm)"

I would say that is the exact desciption of Beyerdynamic DT990 (the '05 version I had). Sorry if I give you even more options though. It is a bit more expensive though.

Jul 4, 2008 at 9:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by wae5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is an unusual comparison so you may not get many responses. I have the AD700 and I've read the AD900 is the AD700 with more bass and less soundstage. Baroque and Early music don’t require require deep bass but they do need a broad soundstage so the AD700 could be the cheaper and better choice. If you’re willing to spend between $200 and $300, you have several excellent classical phones to choose from: The Beyerdynamic HT880 and the Sennheiser HD600 come to mind. I own both and they need an amp to sing at their best. Another good choice requiring an amp is the YUIN PK1. I own this far too expensive earbud ($159) and think it would be a mind blowing experience to have Baroque and Early music suspended in space before me with no visable means of support because this is one of the few phones that can literally disappear in your ears and recreate the experience of speakers arrayed before you and that's a very rare treat indeed and coupled with Baroque and Early Music is something so sublime, it should only be heard in Heaven.
wink.gif

Do you really think that the AD700 may be better than the AD900 in Classical?
Does the AD700 have

tight controlled bass (doesn't to be loud or exaggerated, but clear)
good voice separation and clarity overall? Like not all soupy and muddy?

Thanks.

Jul 5, 2008 at 12:25 AM Post #10 of 12
Ok I have to think this through.

The Custom3s are probably more lush, colorful, and generally better SQ, it's klipsch. But it costs 150-170 dollars more (if import taxes are charged). And I don't know how it will fit, like will it hurt my ears so much that I have to give it up.

The AD700 is going to save a lot of money, but it will have less colorful/detailed sound. But it will have more soundstage and "openness" and "airiness". But if I get it I might be wondering about the Custom3 forever.

But the Custom3 can cost up to 140% more, (240% of the AD700)

I'm not sure what do I want right now.

Jul 8, 2008 at 8:50 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Goit /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ok I have to think this through.

The Custom3s are probably more lush, colorful, and generally better SQ, it's klipsch. But it costs 150-170 dollars more (if import taxes are charged). And I don't know how it will fit, like will it hurt my ears so much that I have to give it up.

The AD700 is going to save a lot of money, but it will have less colorful/detailed sound. But it will have more soundstage and "openness" and "airiness". But if I get it I might be wondering about the Custom3 forever.

But the Custom3 can cost up to 140% more, (240% of the AD700)

I'm not sure what do I want right now.

Hi Goit,
You have nothing to lose by trying the Custom 3's. We have a money back guarantee. If they don't fit you are able to return them.

Trust me... Your gonna love them!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back