Klipsch Custom 3 vs. Image X5
Apr 24, 2009 at 12:36 AM Post #16 of 28
When I go to the gym I usually do some jogging/running. With my previous phones (denon c700) I didn't have much of a problem for the first few months but later ran into microphonic pops and eventually I think part of the inside wire tore (as I have to now crink it just right to have both earphones play). I'm hoping that either the x5's or custom 3's will last a bit longer while delivering better sound quality.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:42 AM Post #17 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by aporcelainsky /img/forum/go_quote.gif
When I go to the gym I usually do some jogging/running. With my previous phones (denon c700) I didn't have much of a problem for the first few months but later ran into microphonic pops and eventually I think part of the inside wire tore (as I have to now crink it just right to have both earphones play). I'm hoping that either the x5's or custom 3's will last a bit longer while delivering better sound quality.

The denon c700's use dynamic drivers. Have you listened to any iems with balanced armature drivers. I'm asking because if you really liked how the C700's sounded, you might be disappointed with the sound of balanced armature drivers. Maybe.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:52 AM Post #18 of 28
The denons were my first real look into decent iems. I have no idea if I prefer their sound signature or dynamic drivers to anything else. In this latest search for the perfect head/earphones I wanted something that had excellent sound quality, some isolation, and allowed me to hear each instrument being played.

Apr 24, 2009 at 12:54 AM Post #19 of 28
Quote:

The denons were my first real look into decent iems. I have no idea if I prefer their sound signature or dynamic drivers to anything else. In this latest search for the perfect head/earphones I wanted something that had excellent sound quality, some isolation, and allowed me to hear each instrument being played.

A balanced armature driver iem might just be what your looking for. Are you able to audition a BA iem?

Apr 24, 2009 at 1:00 AM Post #21 of 28
Quote:

are the x5 and custom 3's balanced? I should (hopefully) be getting them next week in the mail.

The C3's will give a sound that is closer to the C700's signature. The both of them are balanced to a certain extent. It depends on preference. Personally, I think the X5's are more balanced. Coming from the C700's you might think that the bass on the X5's is lacking.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:03 AM Post #22 of 28
Quote:

Originally Posted by ka-boom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you bother reading any of the replies in this thread?

Are the C1's and C3's the same in terms of the memory wire? I need something for running, and I HATE when earphones pop out. I don't want to spend 200 on running headphones, so I think the C1's may do me well.

Apr 24, 2009 at 3:51 AM Post #23 of 28
I have the X5's and like them very much. Best IEMs I've owned. I have not heard as many as some of the other posters here, but I found the X5's much better than Super.fi 5 Pro, and somewhat better than Q-Jays. The only criticism I can think of is that you can't sleep on your side with them. Highly recommended.

For the gym, Yuin PK2. Unless you have a really loud gym.

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #25 of 28
The cords on the X5s aren't user replaceable, if that's what you mean. At least not by most of us.

I've had no issues of any kind with the cords. I did add an Ety clip for a couple of bucks.

I use the X5s for a daily train commute, and they are pefect for that. Easy to put in, comfortable and balanced SQ. What's not to like?

I have the PK2 as well, and would not recommend them for the gym. They need the cloth covers if they are to have even a chance of staying in my ears, and the covers have a short lifespan. Fang has been unhelpful in providing replacements and I'm not crazy about the Radio Shack replacements.

At the gym, I generally use eliptical or other machines and listen to the tvs instead of my iPod. So I take an inexpensive RS clip-on phone and leave the X5s and PK2s at home.

Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back