Klipsch Custom 3 replacement
Nov 10, 2014 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

loadafreak

New Head-Fier
Hello guys,

I am currently using the Klipsch Custom 3, as you might know, the cables can be fragile.

I love the sound of these IEM, but sadly it has started to break down and I do hear cracking sounds here and there.

Could you recommend me a replacement with a budget of around $300-$350.

It has got to be IEMs, warm sounding. Similar sound to the Custom 3s.

I hope its alright posting here as I believe there are more people here than in the recommendation section.

Thank You!

P.S. I have considered getting them remoulded but I don't think I would do that.

Nov 11, 2014 at 4:25 AM Post #3 of 6
A much cheaper option that spares the C3 from replacement is to get them modified by BTG Audio to remove that cursed cable and installs standard Westone 2-pin housing to allow removable cables.  I had it done to 2 C3 with great results.  Total cost is under $50.

Nov 12, 2014 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 6
  A much cheaper option that spares the C3 from replacement is to get them modified by BTG Audio to remove that cursed cable and installs standard Westone 2-pin housing to allow removable cables.  I had it done to 2 C3 with great results.  Total cost is under $50.

Hmm, thanks that seems like a good idea. But I read that they do not service the C3s.

Anyway, I suspect that the drivers has burst as well.. Is there a way to check?

Edit: I found a picture on their website that they do mod it. But does the sound feel the same?

Nov 12, 2014 at 7:06 PM Post #5 of 6
The C3 is one of the two exceptions.  Sound is the same if you're using a removable copper cable, which I believe is the same material used in the stock cable.   

If the drivers are fried, then you're SOL, I'm afraid to say.  Usually, BA drivers don't go bad unless there's extensive moisture, heavy shock, or a sudden spike of current from inadvertent volume adjustment.  You can perform tone/test sweep files to determine if the low or high driver is effected. Lack of coherency with the C3 is probably due to a faulty crossover, but who knows.  

Since the C3, there's been a ton of options coming from most of the major names and oems.  I suggest reading joker's epic thread to find a suitable replacement, if the C3 deems too much trouble than what it's worth.  Good luck.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:57 AM Post #6 of 6
  The C3 is one of the two exceptions.  Sound is the same if you're using a removable copper cable, which I believe is the same material used in the stock cable.   

If the drivers are fried, then you're SOL, I'm afraid to say.  Usually, BA drivers don't go bad unless there's extensive moisture, heavy shock, or a sudden spike of current from inadvertent volume adjustment.  You can perform tone/test sweep files to determine if the low or high driver is effected. Lack of coherency with the C3 is probably due to a faulty crossover, but who knows.  

Since the C3, there's been a ton of options coming from most of the major names and oems.  I suggest reading joker's epic thread to find a suitable replacement, if the C3 deems too much trouble than what it's worth.  Good luck.

Thank You, I will probably try with the test files, I read somewhere that cracking sounds are due to burst drivers or bad cables. I could probably remember it wrongly though..

Do you mean this, http://www.head-fi.org/t/478568/multi-iem-review-328-iems-compared-lear-luf-4f-luf-4b-luf-4c-added-11-07-14-p-994

The JVC Woodies are close to C3 with great bass pressence, warm mids, highs and FX750, FX850 are amazing for the price. GR07, XB90EX, Yamaha EPH100 are also great buy.

Thanks, I will take the JVC into consideration.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back