Klipsch Custom 3 owner cable feedback
Apr 13, 2010 at 4:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

alphaphoenix

Banned by order of heir wallet and significant other.
Fellow head-fiers. I read inputs from various Klipsch Custom 3 owners with some not having the stiff and kink prone wires. All three that I've owned, which were brand new, but were not purchased from "authorized" dealers have suffered the dreaded kink issue. For those who haven't experienced this unfortunate issue, did you purchase them directly from an authorized dealer?

The C3 were one of my favorite earphones despite the cable issues. I'm curious if those that bought from authorized dealers and don't or didn't have the issue, if the there is a correlation with quality and the batches sold from authorized and unauthorized dealers.

I appreciate your response. If there is indeed a correlation, I might just suck it up and pay $199 from Crutchfield. They confirmed that Klipsch will honor the 2 year warranty despite being a discontinued product.

Thanks all.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:03 PM Post #2 of 19
My custom 3 came from amazon and is eight months old now and was used most days for 8hrs or so up untill jan and then 4hrs a day for a few months untill the mtps and ortos came out, have not had much use on them since then but they was my favorate iem befor the coppers came along.

The cable is still as good as it was out of the box ,no damage showing so far.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #3 of 19
I can't recall whether the seller was authorized, but the cables are kinky. Creamy sound, though, and the biggest stock hard case I know for IEMs. I would bite the bullet.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:39 PM Post #4 of 19
I bought mine from J&R. Have a kink in the cable from day one. Just recently purchased Monster Turbine Pro Golds and have been using those over my Custom 3s.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:49 PM Post #5 of 19
Had a few kinks with my C3 cable. Got them remolded by Unique Melody and they sound better than before. I use a Westone ES cable which is miles ahead of the stock C3 cable.

Apr 13, 2010 at 5:51 PM Post #6 of 19
I got mine back then from an authorized retailer in my country, at a great price of about $175. The cables didn't fray, but had a slight (bent) kink near the plug. The left earpiece started to die after about 4 months, and the place where I bought them honored the warranty and gave me a brand new unit.

Apr 13, 2010 at 6:31 PM Post #7 of 19
u may have a one of a kind custom3 lucozade :p

to the OP: any interest in buying them cheap and then if the cable craps out you can either recable it (assuming its the jack) or just get them remolded?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:17 PM Post #10 of 19
I got the custom 2 from amazon--every single time I take them out (and after use), I let them untwist totally (only takes a moment). At least on mine, the kinking comes as a result of a twist in the cable. No twist, no kinks. I used them every day for 5 months before moving up to the mtpc.

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:43 PM Post #11 of 19
Thanks all for your responses. I think I'll purchase directly from Amazon (not marketplace) for $136 and wait for them. Rip N' Burn did you or Unique Melody recabled the C3?

Apr 13, 2010 at 10:52 PM Post #12 of 19
I think the cable will last a while without issue. The main complaint is how easy it holds a kink and twists and knots up. It's terrible. However, the wire itself is fine, light weight, not great on microphonics but ok enough not to whine about it.

I prefer a couple other earphones over the Custom 3 at the price point, but what the Custom 3 offers really well is a thicker note that emphasizes things like bass guitars, drums, etc. and it has a very open and spacious sound stage that is typically hard to come by. I feel the thick note does get in the way of some micro detail though, and some information simply gets lost in the thick notes unavoidably.

At the low to mid hundreds, it's certainly a good option.

Apr 24, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #15 of 19
jjeremycai;6581761 said:
Congratulations on your purchase alphaphoenix

x2
k701smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back