[kiteki review] Audio Technica ATH-CK10 - "the Calvin Klein..." (+ various IEM sound impressions)
Jul 13, 2011 at 6:22 PM Post #31 of 49
Jul 14, 2011 at 7:37 PM Post #33 of 49
Universal IEM Dual-Armature Drivers:

CK10
UE700
q-Jays
W2
DBA-02
Brainwavs B2
Shure SE425
J-Phonic

Notable Custom IEM's with Dual-Armature Drivers:

Rooth LS2 (quality, cheap only [size=x-small]1680元[/size])
AlienEars AE2 (cheap)
Starkey SA-12 (same drivers as in the ck10)

Dual-Dynamic Drivers:

Victor JVC HA-FXT90
Radius HP-TWF21

If the Brainwavs B2 is at least half-decent, then there is a pretty good deal at the moment in this link imho, as I am quite a fan of the sound-quality and high output the S:Flo2 / Teclast T51 DAP provides http://mp4nation.net/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=533 
If you estimate the S:Flo 2 to $140, then you are only paying an extra $90 for those dual-armature's, on the other hand I can't say the Teclast T51 and CK10 had a perfect synergy or anything, but they matched OK.

You said you're a fan of trance and you're looking for a trance IEM, well the Sennheiser IE8 and TripleFi10 are quite popular for trance, but if you ask me it's smooth reference IEM's with detail, imaging, liquid and clarity like the ck10 that should hold up the best for that genre, I'm theorizing there's some overlooked smooth reference IEM's out there, like the Vsonic R07 and the RE252, and they are dynamic drivers so they should also deliver a little extra bass kick, just theory.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:05 AM Post #34 of 49
Cool, you said that the CK-10's sound flat though, and I need earphones that have very good bass and that are sharp and clear in the upper spectrum too. I tend to like most types of trance, i.e balearic, Hard, uplifting, so I dont only need good mids and highs but I also need earphones with very good Lows. Dont want to get another earphone that I have to take back lol.

Jul 15, 2011 at 9:38 AM Post #36 of 49
Jul 15, 2011 at 4:47 PM Post #41 of 49
do you have a frequency response test for the ultimate ears 700 ? I heard that they have exceptional highs and mids but the bass is just a little bellow par, a perfect earphone would to have the comfort and mid/highs of the ultimates and the bass of another earphone :/

Jul 17, 2011 at 1:56 AM Post #42 of 49

Quote:
Oh btw, my JVC Marshmallows have better sound quality than the dr dre tours, is that normal :))? £90 more for the tours lol

I haven't heard the tours, but I wouldn't say it's normal :) I tend to look at Dr. Dre/Monster Cable products as overpriced and over-marketed.  A cable is about the material used (copper, silver, fiber optics etc.) and the properties of that material (7N OFC copper etc.), not how THICK and impressive you make the cable look along with clever marketing.  In the headphone market no one is investing as heavily in marketing as Monster Cable and that comes with a price, a price you don't need to pay with a product like, say, Yuin OK3, but I have a hunch there still are companies such as Jays that invest into design and marketing and still have high quality IEM's out there like the a-JAYS Two (best packaging I have seen, excellent build quality, very nice sound for the price imho).

Jul 17, 2011 at 2:51 AM Post #43 of 49

Quote:
do you have a frequency response test for the ultimate ears 700 ? I heard that they have exceptional highs and mids but the bass is just a little bellow par, a perfect earphone would to have the comfort and mid/highs of the ultimates and the bass of another earphone :/

You can't perceive the quality of lows/mids/highs in an FR graph, but you can perceive the balance, emphasis, signature, etc.

According to magazine Stereoplay, the UE700 does actually seem remarkably flat...

Jul 21, 2011 at 1:59 AM Post #44 of 49
Here's some more dual-driver IEM info (Note: It's 6 pages) http://www.headfonia.com/dual-drivers-q-jays-dba-02-ue700-westone-2-sf5pro-and-jh5pro/

He left out the CK10, SE425 and J-Phonic, which is a shame since I value those the highest, but he does include the JH5 with some interesting comparisons.

Regarding my review, I'm surprised I haven't received any criticism for how I reviewed the ck10, I thought I'd get some comments like it's bla-ha and wizardry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back