[kiteki review] Audio Technica ATH-CK10 - "the Calvin Klein..." (+ various IEM sound impressions)
Jun 18, 2011 at 9:15 PM Post #16 of 49
I'm dedicating my 888th post to the Sony MDR-E888 earphone, the best earbud I have ever heard. [caveat: so far]

There is the "made in China", "made in Thailand" and "made in Japan" model of it, and it comes in varying colours from champagne gold to blue to silver (I think), avoid the made in china model at all costs, the made in Thailand one is the standard one which I have, and the rare, legendary made in Japan model usually retails second hand for around $150 I think, I haven't heard it yet, don't have that kind of money to collect things, but here's one on e-bay right now, looks legit! - http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220800700779&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

/kiteki

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #17 of 49
Kiteki, what makes you rate CK10 so low for vocals? If it indeed sounds similar to RE0, it should have great vocals. My RE0s give me goosebumps with many singers, especially female.

Jun 18, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #18 of 49
Even joker noted he thought one of the weaker points of the ck10 was in female vocals.

I gave it a 7/10 for vocals because I experienced it to deliver them more synthetically and less naturally.

I never got goosebumps with the ck10 and in one of my listening test comparisons vocal emotion was transferred better with the EX700, quite notably at 3:02 and onwards in this song when the EX700 really startled me every time, and the ck10 kinda glossed over it.

Likewise, the E888 is the best earphone I've heard so far for naturalness in female vocals, where I experience the voice to be most convincingly life-like and next to me, at least after I remove the foamies, rubber rings, and plastic sheath, and all that's left is my ear vs the driver.

It was a really great experience in binaural recordings, but of course it's weaker than the ck10 in other aspects, and my opinion on which earphone claims the title for vocal naturalness may differ later after I get my hands on the RE0, Ety ER-4PT, or Vsonic GR07, we'll see.

Jun 19, 2011 at 12:14 AM Post #19 of 49
I also found that I always had goosebumps with the RE-0, but rarely get them with the CK10. With the amazing treble you would think that it would be perfect for a females voice, but it just makes their voice sound too liquidy/smooth so you don't get hit with that WOW effect. Its almost like it handles the treble too easily that it dampens the rawness in their voice. I'm listening to the CK10 right now with Sara Bareilles and it doesn't sound as good as the RE-0. Any recommendations for IEMs that would be well suited for female vocals?

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:17 AM Post #20 of 49

Quote:
I gave it a 7/10 for vocals because I experienced it to deliver them more synthetically and less naturally.

That's how I heard them too.

Quote:
Any recommendations for IEMs that would be well suited for female vocals?

All of my top-ranked IEMs are well suited female vocals. DDs like the Sony EX600/1000 or JVC FX700 are maybe the most natural ones, whereas out of the BAs I've heard, Final Audio's vented ones take the cake. I think their vents add an airyness to the sound signature that's especially well suited for female vocals. The FI-BA-SS are by far the best IEMs I've heard in portraying rawness and delicacy, but their price is prohibitive and their merciless transparency isn't suited for less than stellar recordings. The FI-BA-A1 offer some of these qualities at a much more reasonable price and are more forgiving in comparison.

Jun 19, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #21 of 49
Quote:
Likewise, the E888 is the best earphone I've heard so far for naturalness in female vocals, where I experience the voice to be most convincingly life-like and next to me, at least after I remove the foamies, rubber rings, and plastic sheath, and all that's left is my ear vs the driver.

Don't know if you'd count them as earphones, but the Audio Technica EC700 are by far the best among the buds/clip-ons I've heard. iheadphones had them on sale for less than $100 (since they're discontinued) and they're amazing value at that price. Sadly there are a lot of poor sounding fakes out there, so one has to be very careful.

Jun 19, 2011 at 5:03 AM Post #22 of 49
Thanks for the tip, how many buds have you heard James? and btw have you auditioned the Vsonic GR07 yet?

I had the CM700 BW before, two pairs actually, I just sold one off to someone in Singapore to free up cash, and traded the other one with someone in Honolulu for a Zune.

I can't say I liked the CM700 very much, it sounded too good to be fake, but not very good next to other buds, pretty restrained in the highs, and it's supposed to be better than the EC700, so despite your recommendation I can't say I have high hopes for the EC700, as cool as they look!

Nice to know you agree with me on the CK10 for vocals though, I guess that means I can trust your listening impressions, I think I really need to get myself a pair of those FA-BA-A1 and listen to some vocals!

P.S. Apparently Yuin OK1 is really supposed to shine in vocals as well, but for the price, I'll skip it.

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:17 AM Post #23 of 49
^ I have the CM7ti (CM700 predecessors) and while I don't think the highs are too restrained, their lever's much to long and heavy to maintain a consistently good fit. Between the CM7ti and EC700 I've been using the latter 95% of the time. These definitely don't lack highs, in the review I've linked they're even likened to Stax (haven't heard one myself though).

I've heard a few buds over the years, mainly Sonys, Senns, AKGs and ATHs, the Yuin PK3 and lately the (disappointing) Final Audios, but not the E888 and none of the recent top Senns. The EC700 are the only ones that still get some ear time, since they're a pretty good match of form and function imo.

The GR07 somehow failed to attract my interest. This happens sometimes and tbo I'm glad about it.
wink.gif

Jun 19, 2011 at 6:56 AM Post #24 of 49
Thanks for the review link, I didn't see it at first.

Compared to Stax, great highs, and with a review like that, I almost wonder if my CM700 BW's were fake, they came from an audio-technica dealer, but I guess you can never know for sure with A-T, a real shame.

That's a nice list of buds you've heard there.

At first glance the E888 failed to attract my interest, I even asked for a discount at the sony store, then on my way home in the taxi I started to become mesmerized by their sound.
I wouldn't be interested in the GR07 were it not for the fact it shares the same (only used... twice?) driver material, and joker gave them a 9.4, so I have to find out if it's a new and improved E888.

With everything you've heard though, I don't think they'll offer anything particularly interesting, so I can see why they failed to attract your interest. =)

For me, I just want to hear every HP/IEM technology that's out there, from paper, to Electrostat, to cellulose, to vented BA's, one day I'll find out which technology has the most sonic bliss.

Jul 13, 2011 at 12:38 PM Post #25 of 49
Which IEM do you guys think I should buy next? Having a hard time deciding....... thinking about picking up one of the following today:

Vsonic GR07
Sony MDR-EX600
Final Audio FI-BA-A1
Sensaphonics j-phonics

j-phonics is the very limit of my current finanaces.

Jul 13, 2011 at 1:41 PM Post #27 of 49
Okay, well here are my thoughts

Vsonic GR07 (J-phonic has the same SS, but is a step above in SQ, according to clieOS)
EX600 (wind-noise, and will cause upgradeitis to EX800ST or EX1000)
Final Audio FI-BA-A1 (cable and build quality not perfect)
Sensaphonics j-phonic (expensive, but potentially perfect for me? dual-BA like the ck10, warm and neutral, no known flaws)

Jul 13, 2011 at 5:56 PM Post #28 of 49
I am interested the GR07, might buy it and crack a review for it:p

How is your T51? 

There are two things in my radar now,

Brainwavz B2 + S:Flo2(T51) 16GB for $230 pre order special
or 
GR07 + Fiio E11 for $230

Jul 13, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #29 of 49
Well, I just bought the Sensaphonics J-Phonic from user "syed786" on head-fi.

The T51 is very good, it's my favorite source, but I traded my ck10 for a Sony X1051 DAP so I'll be comparing that one to the T51 soon, I also have a Yulong U100 Dac/Amp on the way.

I think the GR07 looks very good, but I decided to get the rare (only two users on head-fi have it I think?) Sensaphonics J-Phonic instead, which is said to be a step above IEM's like the GR07 and RE262.

I don't think many people will be unhappy with the Teclast T51, apart from the size, but it's good for watching video's, I might do a review on it when I have more DAP's and the Yulong U100 to compare to, overall I think the sound is very good and maybe you should go for T51 + GR07.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back