Kitchen Knife-fi
Feb 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM Post #91 of 99
For many years, I used basic knives like Kitchen Devil with their thin wibbly-wobbly blades. Then, a few years ago, I noticed that my local supermarket were heavily discounting some rather elegant Terence Conran-designed cutlery.

It was obviously clearance stock and I'd seen the price cut twice while wresting with temptation, so I held my nerve for another week, and ended up with a £40+ chef's knife for under a tenner!

Given the price when new, this is obviously not high-end knife-fi, but the step up in feel from bargain basement is like night and day, when it comes to feel and holding an edge. I ended up getting the paring knife and breadknife from the same collection. 

Never going back to cheap!

Feb 17, 2019 at 11:11 AM Post #92 of 99
Gonna necro this thread since I don't want to start a new thread for this...just thought I might check in here and see if anybody here knows anything about this sharpening stone. I got it for around $9 locally and I could use a slightly wider stone that I can use on my cheap beater knives and keep my KW65's (note: I paid around $50 for it thanks to shipping, in case you might wonder why I don't just get something else than try out some mystery stone) 1000grit side for my carbon steel knife (although I originally thought I'd test it on this and see if it does cut faster). I was actually looking for a 3000grit that was wider than the one I got from the hardware store ten years ago but this kitchen supplies store had only a 1000grit Naniwa that raised a few red flags (ie it's cheaper than the cheapest Naniwa 1000grit, waaaay thicker, and the box color is all wrong). Apart from a possible counterfeit product that I didn't want to support, it was going for the equivalent of roughly $20.

Box cover and stone label side. Very rough out of the box - I picked one from the shelf that wasn't chipped but otherwise the quality control during the casting/molding process leaves a lot to be desired. If you had it on hand you can feel that the borders of the stone (although they did carve a 45deg angle into the corners already) were a lot rougher an higher than the middle of the stone. Even the $2 combo stones from the hardware store that I had before I got the King were flatter. The funny part is that the smooth center was so smooth it was smoother than my King KW65's 1000 grit side (so there goes the probability that it's an 800 that will cut faster) - it felt like a 1500 or 2000grit by comparison.
52514015_10218664348738402_8534569023285755904_n.jpg

Reverse side after flattening on a marble countertop with 80grit, 120grit, then 240grit 3M sandpaper (I tried 120 and 220 of another brand before this and the cutting action was just slow): a hair rougher than the label side's smooth sections. It feels a hair rougher than the King 1000.
52029328_10218664351418469_7859434983654424576_n.jpg

Measurements were for the box base - actual width is 60mm absolute size, with chamfered edges that's down to 59mm. Width was one of the reasons I got it and I regret not bringing my measuring tape. 5mm's not really that big of a problem given the added length (I can compensate with how I lay the knife down), I really just wanted something that was at least as wide as my King since my carbon knife is a PITA to sharpen on a narrow stone (240mm, too easy to tilt it given how far my right hand at the handle will be once I'm working at or nearer the tip).
52308622_10218664352578498_786617427696812032_n.jpg

This is where I get stumped. I searched for this model number and I only got a gigantic Masamoto 1000grit "brick" (ie like the King 1000 XL) on some HK-based bulk seller's website (that inexplicably has what looks like the stand for the high end Naniwa polishing stone on the page).
http://www.ctk.com.hk/en_pro2.asp?ProID=716&ClassOneID=26
52590157_10218664353738527_135057784948391936_n.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 21, 2019 at 1:15 AM Post #93 of 99
Hi @ProtegeManiac,

Basically, the stone you show is a Chinese knock off of a knock off of a combination of Naniwa & Masamoto which is why the latter came up when you searched the serial...

If I remember correctly, grit wise, I have only seen this in real a very long time ago so only going off memory for grit but believe it is as you say, it averages around 800 grit though there are some variants which average 900 which you may have since you say it seems closer to 1000 grit for you.

Hope this works for you, if you need any help with getting sharpening stones, etc, PM me.

Hope you have a great day !

Feb 21, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #94 of 99
Hi @ProtegeManiac,

Basically, the stone you show is a Chinese knock off of a knock off of a combination of Naniwa & Masamoto which is why the latter came up when you searched the serial...

The store I got it from has on a special shelf a Naniwa 1000...but the box is like one of the tools-oriented Kings (the one with the 300grit in a light blue box). It's supposed to be 1000grit, and the measurement seems correct, but since it cost around $20 I didn't want to gamble on it being a knock off and not at least a Naniwa designed for gardening tools. I was hoping this one at least isn't a knock off, just a really cheap stone, but when I saw the Masamoto that had the same box, well, crap.

My problem with my King though is that the cutting is just a little slow, although on the upside, if the steel is harder then I'd need to do it less frequently anyway, but I'd still have to weigh my options. I'm taking the stone a little more seriously now since a bunch of local blacksmiths are now making their knives. I'm still trying to contact one since the restaurant through which they sell closed ust when I was gonna check them out last November, but there's another locally crafted knife that I'm probably gonna get if for no other reason than that it's local.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqmAQmNlr_8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

Hope this works for you, if you need any help with getting sharpening stones, etc, PM me.

I have no problem finding them online, it's just that the shipping is what's gonna kill me.

Feb 23, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #95 of 99
The store I got it from has on a special shelf a Naniwa 1000...but the box is like one of the tools-oriented Kings (the one with the 300grit in a light blue box). It's supposed to be 1000grit, and the measurement seems correct, but since it cost around $20 I didn't want to gamble on it being a knock off and not at least a Naniwa designed for gardening tools. I was hoping this one at least isn't a knock off, just a really cheap stone, but when I saw the Masamoto that had the same box, well, crap.

My problem with my King though is that the cutting is just a little slow, although on the upside, if the steel is harder then I'd need to do it less frequently anyway, but I'd still have to weigh my options. I'm taking the stone a little more seriously now since a bunch of local blacksmiths are now making their knives. I'm still trying to contact one since the restaurant through which they sell closed ust when I was gonna check them out last November, but there's another locally crafted knife that I'm probably gonna get if for no other reason than that it's local.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BqmAQmNlr_8/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

I have no problem finding them online, it's just that the shipping is what's gonna kill me.

All valid points as usual, I feel your pain with tracking down good stones & knives, especially the former, though I would suggest making or getting a good quality leather strop & hone your knives that way.
It does save using a stone in the long run as well as better on your knife.
Should be easier to track down a leather supplier or leather shop who sells decent leather off cuts or scraps for very little money.

After many years, I am still after the Sugimoto No 22 cleaver but given how the exchange rate has been, the price alone is kind of ridiculous for a power cleaver, :p :frowning2: , which I rather & have put into other things, especially audio gear :p

Slightly off topic, the other knife which is not kitchen related for many years I have also been after is the Chris Reeve Green Beret Tactical Knife, the smaller one.

I feel your pain, shipping is a serious pain for me too, especially most things from the US.

By the way, a good basic to mid range combination stone is by Kasumi, there are two types.
800/1000
3000/8000

This would be a good alternative if you can find it.
I have the 3000/8000 which is very good though it is a little pricey & availiability might be annoying unless you know a good kitchen &/or knife supply place, even department store in your area which has the Kasumi knife brand.
I got mine locally which turned out not too pricey though it was a little high for what I wanted to pay at the time but worth it.

Having used many stones myself over the years, though I have never owned any King stones but certainly have used many which I find quite meh really but that's just my humble & subjective opinion...

I prefer some of the mid range Japanese stones which I got imported from Japan several years ago so if you can track any of these down locally or know anyone who can get them for you at a good price, keep these in mind.
Though I tended to use these more to hone wood carving knives & wood carving chisels.

Suehiro Gokumyo 20000 Grit
Sigma Power 13000 Grit

Hope this is some use.

Feb 23, 2019 at 9:26 AM Post #96 of 99
All valid points as usual, I feel your pain with tracking down good stones & knives, especially the former, though I would suggest making or getting a good quality leather strop & hone your knives that way.
It does save using a stone in the long run as well as better on your knife.

I strop on the 6000grit side of my King weekly, then on leather with the green compound.

It's enough to hone my softer steel gyuto and nakiri but of course every month I have to sharpen both. Not that they're already dull, but I need them super sharp to 1) make cutting effortless and 2) cut tomatoes really thin without crushing the juices out for my sandwiches. I have a 240mm carbon gyuto but despite the harder steel it's easier to get a burr on that one, and the steel harder means I barely sharpen the thing. However it's a little too long for what I need daily so I only use it mostly when my friends and I are having a BBQ, where I use it to portion out fillets (I sear them skin on) or make crudo/sashimi (I'm too cheap to get a yanagiba that will only be used for raw fish and carving prime rib, although the store I got the crap 800grit from has some generic yaangibas...the weird part is that despite them being sharp and otherwise single bevel, the rear of the knife isn't hollow ground). And as much as that gyuto makes short work of the tomato, the tomato makes short work of it in return. I sliced some for a sandwich, cleaned it well, wiped it dry, let it dry completely overnight and placed it in its sheath, and lo and behold two weeks later I nearly cut myself pulling it out as oxidation was so thick the velvet lining got stuck to it. Took me an hour with baking soda and a rust eraser just to clean the damn thing. Anything else I cut with it, no problem.

For the most part what I have to sharpen often is my old santoku. Decent steel but still on the soft side, but it's a cheap thick knife and I use it to decapitate fish and take chicken apart. Honing can't fix the edge clean even though I only cut through chicken joints and softer fish spines. After about one bird it'll have some sections that need resharpening.

Should be easier to track down a leather supplier or leather shop who sells decent leather off cuts or scraps for very little money.

Traffic is what's making it a PITA. I'm less than 20km from the shoe manufacturing area and just going there is making me lazy. The strop I got online is originally for my pocket knife given its length.

I feel your pain, shipping is a serious pain for me too, especially most things from the US.

Even getting the stuff from Japan will cost me $30+ to ship. And I'm less confident about those dealers sending me a new one if they didn't wrap it in a lot of padding or if it was absolutely mishandled.

By the way, a good basic to mid range combination stone is by Kasumi, there are two types.
800/1000
3000/8000

For the most part I'm good with my KW65, especially the 6000grit side. It's not gonna wear down for many years. It's the 1000 side that I'm having a problem with. Kind of slow even on my 54HRC gyuto, kind of decent on my harder carbon steel (but then again, it does tend to be easier to get a burr on carbon steel), but if I get the local AUS8 knife I'm anticipating it to be really slow. It's already slow on a 54HRC stainless knife, 60HRC will be like a total body workout, which means less time and energy actually cooking, which is the whole point of getting a decent knife.

I'm probably just gonna get a Naniwa Traditional 800 or a Cerax 1000 when my brother flies in. I don't really mind if my 6000grit and strop makes my knives look kind of weird with a mirror edge (not to mention the local AUS8 knife does have that anyway, so at least that one will not look weird). Although long run I might get a 3000grit if I get any other decent knife that doesn't have a mirror polish and I don't want it to look weird with just the edge having the mirror finish. At least with the local knife I'm getting the mirror polish goes past the edge, so using anything with less than 5000grit or with less polishing compounds than a Chosera 3000 might be a problem for it. The guys who sell the knife claim it's fine on the KW65, ie they know one guy who used it, but without all the details, chances are he's just got more patience than I do (or they got it wrong and he actually has the harder KDS or the 800/6000 formulated specifically for carbon steel but works with any hard stainless steel just fine).

I prefer some of the mid range Japanese stones which I got imported from Japan several years ago so if you can track any of these down locally or know anyone who can get them for you at a good price, keep these in mind.
Though I tended to use these more to hone wood carving knives & wood carving chisels.

Sigma Power 13000 Grit

Too fine for my needs though, even the King 6000 finishes my knife with a near mirror polish that's still way too shiny compared to the rest of the knife.

Although I'm also considering the Gokumyo thanks to the width. I think they're a hair over 3in wide. With an 8in at an angle that's practically just the flat section then the belly to tip - basically I just have to do two sections instead of moving up and down the edge.

After many years, I am still after the Sugimoto No 22 cleaver but given how the exchange rate has been, the price alone is kind of ridiculous for a power cleaver, :p :frowning2: , which I rather & have put into other things, especially audio gear :p

Slightly off topic, the other knife which is not kitchen related for many years I have also been after is the Chris Reeve Green Beret Tactical Knife, the smaller one.

800/1000
3000/8000

This would be a good alternative if you can find it.
I have the 3000/8000 which is very good though it is a little pricey & availiability might be annoying unless you know a good kitchen &/or knife supply place, even department store in your area which has the Kasumi knife brand.
I got mine locally which turned out not too pricey though it was a little high for what I wanted to pay at the time but worth it.

Having used many stones myself over the years, though I have never owned any King stones but certainly have used many which I find quite meh really but that's just my humble & subjective opinion...

Sigma Power 13000 Grit

Hope this is some use.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:29 PM Post #97 of 99
I strop on the 6000grit side of my King weekly, then on leather with the green compound.

It's enough to hone my softer steel gyuto and nakiri but of course every month I have to sharpen both. Not that they're already dull, but I need them super sharp to 1) make cutting effortless and 2) cut tomatoes really thin without crushing the juices out for my sandwiches. I have a 240mm carbon gyuto but despite the harder steel it's easier to get a burr on that one, and the steel harder means I barely sharpen the thing. However it's a little too long for what I need daily so I only use it mostly when my friends and I are having a BBQ, where I use it to portion out fillets (I sear them skin on) or make crudo/sashimi (I'm too cheap to get a yanagiba that will only be used for raw fish and carving prime rib, although the store I got the crap 800grit from has some generic yaangibas...the weird part is that despite them being sharp and otherwise single bevel, the rear of the knife isn't hollow ground). And as much as that gyuto makes short work of the tomato, the tomato makes short work of it in return. I sliced some for a sandwich, cleaned it well, wiped it dry, let it dry completely overnight and placed it in its sheath, and lo and behold two weeks later I nearly cut myself pulling it out as oxidation was so thick the velvet lining got stuck to it. Took me an hour with baking soda and a rust eraser just to clean the damn thing. Anything else I cut with it, no problem.

Sounds like there's too much PH levels or some acid in the tomato the knife doesn't like which is sadly not surprising.
Also means the steel wasn't well sealed when forged which is even more the pity.
You might have to keep oiling the knife till its soaked, almost like a wok to make sure the steel doesn't oxidise otherwise you might have to break out the baking soda & rust eraser every time you cut tomatos.
This goes back to what you said about the knife rear on the yangibas not being hollow ground which to me says terible knock offs though hollow ground doesn't mean much personally except for it is a nice traditional Japanese Tool making method...among other things.

I hardly use my own yangiba which is the minimum 240 mm length for the type so you're not missing much, I would suggest a good ceramic knife but not for the prime rib if you need to do cutting on masse :p

Otherwise Kasumi or Tojiro Flash are good alternatives.
Pricey but worth it
Forgot to mention the last time, not sure if you can get it in Manila but the brand Furi has a good sharpening system called Diamond Fingers which is pretty decent so it might be able to work well for you if you can find it.
The Diamond fingers pocket version is a piece of crap, if possible, look for the system.
Might work better for the acid knife you have.

For the most part what I have to sharpen often is my old santoku. Decent steel but still on the soft side, but it's a cheap thick knife and I use it to decapitate fish and take chicken apart. Honing can't fix the edge clean even though I only cut through chicken joints and softer fish spines. After about one bird it'll have some sections that need resharpening.

Maybe get a better knife but as long as it works & you are happy is important.

Traffic is what's making it a PITA. I'm less than 20km from the shoe manufacturing area and just going there is making me lazy. The strop I got online is originally for my pocket knife given its length.

Understand that feeling, there is a leather supply place basically two blocks away & I feel the same though that may change once I sort out some things.

Even getting the stuff from Japan will cost me $30+ to ship. And I'm less confident about those dealers sending me a new one if they didn't wrap it in a lot of padding or if it was absolutely mishandled.

As said before, shipping to where I am is so ridiculous more often than not & yes, for potentially fragile things, it doesn't help when there are idiots who don't know how to pad things or whatever post system used can just throw it around too.#
I cross my fingers every time I order something, even locally or maybe especially...

For the most part I'm good with my KW65, especially the 6000grit side. It's not gonna wear down for many years. It's the 1000 side that I'm having a problem with. Kind of slow even on my 54HRC gyuto, kind of decent on my harder carbon steel (but then again, it does tend to be easier to get a burr on carbon steel), but if I get the local AUS8 knife I'm anticipating it to be really slow. It's already slow on a 54HRC stainless knife, 60HRC will be like a total body workout, which means less time and energy actually cooking, which is the whole point of getting a decent knife.

Which is why I suggest the 800/1000 grit Kasumi stone if you can get it, will be easier & 'smoother' or burr free to use compared to the KW65 for all harder steels. Obviously, will still time to sharpen with but definitely less time.
I suggest considering it if you can get it or the Furi Diamond Fingers System I recommended earlier.
Either or both will definitely make things easier for you, certainly less of a total body workout. :p
AUS8 steel is good & useful though personally & subjectively I prefer VG 10, D2/3 or 15MoV
On a side note, I have a cheap & good Chinese cleaver I got years ago which I have no idea the steel but it is among the best (handling & edge retention) affordable cleavers I have used & own.
In the many years I used it, I only had to really sharpen it twice, honed it more double that but still works better than most of my pricer knives with VG 10 steel so go figure.

I'm probably just gonna get a Naniwa Traditional 800 or a Cerax 1000 when my brother flies in. I don't really mind if my 6000grit and strop makes my knives look kind of weird with a mirror edge (not to mention the local AUS8 knife does have that anyway, so at least that one will not look weird). Although long run I might get a 3000grit if I get any other decent knife that doesn't have a mirror polish and I don't want it to look weird with just the edge having the mirror finish. At least with the local knife I'm getting the mirror polish goes past the edge, so using anything with less than 5000grit or with less polishing compounds than a Chosera 3000 might be a problem for it. The guys who sell the knife claim it's fine on the KW65, ie they know one guy who used it, but without all the details, chances are he's just got more patience than I do (or they got it wrong and he actually has the harder KDS or the 800/6000 formulated specifically for carbon steel but works with any hard stainless steel just fine).

If your options are the NT 800 or Cerax 1000, suggest the Cerax 100, you will get you better edge retention as well as make your knives easier to maintain.
The whole mirror polish thing is irrelevant.
Personally & subjectively, mirror polish on a knives mean very little to me, as long as the blade is sharp, touch sharp, in fact, all good.
In the same vein, I am wary where polishing compounds are concerned as most don't do a whole lot in the grand scheme but they are useful. I agree it might be more a case of expatience as well as wrong info regarding the harder stone.

Too fine for my needs though, even the King 6000 finishes my knife with a near mirror polish that's still way too shiny compared to the rest of the knife.

Although I'm also considering the Gokumyo thanks to the width. I think they're a hair over 3in wide. With an 8in at an angle that's practically just the flat section then the belly to tip - basically I just have to do two sections instead of moving up and down the edge.

Can't go wrong with the Gokumyo.

Mar 7, 2019 at 12:17 AM Post #98 of 99
Sounds like there's too much PH levels or some acid in the tomato the knife doesn't like which is sadly not surprising.
Also means the steel wasn't well sealed when forged which is even more the pity.
You might have to keep oiling the knife till its soaked, almost like a wok to make sure the steel doesn't oxidise otherwise you might have to break out the baking soda & rust eraser every time you cut tomatos.

One reason why I keep the beater santoku sharp is so that I can use it when I just need tomato on my sandwich, this way I don't end up having to rinse, wipe, and air dry the carbon steel gyuto.

This goes back to what you said about the knife rear on the yangibas not being hollow ground which to me says terible knock offs though hollow ground doesn't mean much personally except for it is a nice traditional Japanese Tool making method...among other things.

I hardly use my own yangiba which is the minimum 240 mm length for the type so you're not missing much, I would suggest a good ceramic knife but not for the prime rib if you need to do cutting on masse :p

Otherwise Kasumi or Tojiro Flash are good alternatives.
Pricey but worth it

Well the yanagibas were selling for around $35. If the rear was totally flat do I still just run the flat side over a lower grit or after sharpening the edge I can just move on to deburring the flat side on the polishing stone, then polish the edge, then back to the flat side?

Still considering just getting the yanagiba as cheap as possible since I'm not cutting raw fish as a pro (and even then my gyuto already does a decent job), but that it doubles as a carving knife, while still doing better on raw fish than a purely carving knife.

Forgot to mention the last time, not sure if you can get it in Manila but the brand Furi has a good sharpening system called Diamond Fingers which is pretty decent so it might be able to work well for you if you can find it.
The Diamond fingers pocket version is a piece of crap, if possible, look for the system.
Might work better for the acid knife you have.

Not sure I'd spend that much if I might not even try using it on my carbon gyuto (my friend tried one such system and he prefers the ones that hold the knife down and he moves a stone stuck on a bar because it scratched up the sides of the knife; my Dad also tried something else similar to these and got the same problem). The whetstones at least I can use on everything I have, jsut a matter of at leat getting the correct grit, faster cutting, and enough width to make the job easier.

Maybe get a better knife but as long as it works & you are happy is important.

Nah the santoku's my beater, so I'm happy with just using it as it is.

What I need is just keep it sharp so I can portion out a whole chicken or lop heads off fish larger than a tiny mackerel, and in case I do blunt it in the process, easily sharpen it so a few nights later I don't have to break out the carbon steel knife just to get tomatoes into my sandwich.

Also a whetstone that will make maintenance of the beater knife easy will at least be easier to carry once I have to move (and I'm not just driving, I have to fly) than a bunka and a deba, the jobs of which I'm good enough with using my beater santoku for.

Which is why I suggest the 800/1000 grit Kasumi stone if you can get it, will be easier & 'smoother' or burr free to use compared to the KW65 for all harder steels. Obviously, will still time to sharpen with but definitely less time.
I suggest considering it if you can get it or the Furi Diamond Fingers System I recommended earlier.
Either or both will definitely make things easier for you, certainly less of a total body workout. :p

I was considering just getting a Superstone 1000 and 6000 a couple days ago but then I realized that the price of the 1000 (whcih I heard really loads up easily) plus the cleaning stone puts me within spitting distance of the Chosera 800 (which ironically loads up less) that still comes with the cleaning stone.

I'm thinking of just eating into my cash reserves for the time being and just getting the old Chosera 800 and 3000 (which come with a stand but also the cleaning stones) from Amazon, and then continue using my King 6000 for final polishing (which will likely last longer too since the harder 3000 will get more burr out) and then a strop. As soon as I at least get somebody to put me in contact with a specific shop in the shoe manufacturing area so gas for my trip there will at least not include "driving around from one factory to another looking to buy just the leather sheet."

AUS8 steel is good & useful though personally & subjectively I prefer VG 10, D2/3 or 15MoV

Yeah Aus8 isn't the best but one reason I'm interested is because it's locally made.

There's another new foundry here recycling leaf springs into knives but it costs a little bit more. On the upside though the edge has a satin finish the darker top section can take scrubbing with a rust eraser without showing scratches.

If your options are the NT 800 or Cerax 1000, suggest the Cerax 100, you will get you better edge retention as well as make your knives easier to maintain.
The whole mirror polish thing is irrelevant.
Personally & subjectively, mirror polish on a knives mean very little to me, as long as the blade is sharp, touch sharp, in fact, all good.
In the same vein, I am wary where polishing compounds are concerned as most don't do a whole lot in the grand scheme but they are useful. I agree it might be more a case of expatience as well as wrong info regarding the harder stone.

Not to me though, although I'm not lie the others who purposely put it on all knives they have. I just want to get a high sheen and clear polish if that's what the knife comes with.

I've seen a knife that has the higher polish extending towards the wavy carbon line past the edge, and while it's sharp, having the satin finish on the edge transition ot the mirror polish then back to the more satin finish on the top just looks...well...kind of weird. Even weirder than when I unintentionally put a mirror polish on the edge of my beater knife, because on that one it's only teh edge that got it, so it's only really noticeable up closeI never had to get really OC about it other than after stropping for 15mins I checked it and went "oops." I maintained it by honing (stropping motions) on the lower grit stone and not overdoing it on the leather after, and the edge is going back to not being shinier than the rest of the knife. In any case even for the knife that comes with a high polish I doubt I'd need a Snow White much less the 15,000 grit Gokumyo. Manufacturer said 6000grit King is enough, though if I ever change it he did say Chosera 3000 is probably enough (though he wagers Rika 5000 might be better).

Can't go wrong with the Gokumyo.

Yeah one reason I haven't completely taken it off the list of options despite the price is the 3in width. That can make everything easier.

Apr 4, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #99 of 99
Didn't know there was a thread for kitchen knives. I started collecting and using them a couple of years ago here are some knives from my collection that are currently in rotation.

Left to right

1) Sakai Kikkumori 150mm petty (SRS15)
2) Mazaki 210mm gyuto (white 2)
3) Kramer by zwilling chefs knife 200mm (52100)
4) Yoshihiro 210mm gyuto (Aogami Super)
5) Ashi Ginga Honyaki 210mm (White 2)
6) Kramer by zwilling chefs knife 200mm (AEB-L)
7) Ashi Ginga 210mm gyuto (AEB-L)
8) Ashi Ginga 120mm petty (AEB-L)

Bottom knives
1) Miura knives 270mm yanagiba (white 2)
2) Sukenari 210mm gyuto (Hap-40)

Just like hi-fi, the rabbit hole runs real deep for this one!

IMG_8168 (1).jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back