Kinki Studio Vision THR-1
Oct 22, 2021 at 5:39 PM Post #46 of 320
With Elise's upgraded tubes (Psvane CV181-MK2 + RCA 6080WC) I get very big soundstage, extreme detail and realism sensation I never experienced before as I usually listen to classical music the most, specially from videogames, out of the Kinki I keep those properties + THR-1's own flavour giving even more body to bass-mid frequencies and keeping the treble tamed, which is what I value the most.
I have these same tubes on my Little Dot MK VI+ ! The mid range with the PSVane CV181-MK2 is heavenly. For rock I slightly prefer the GE Red Base 5691 (rebranded RCA). Also, if you want a very pleasant surprise which I am surprised is not to be found anywhere on the internet or on forums, give the JAN Philips 6080WC a go, they are one of the most underrated tubes I used on the Little Dot MK VI+. Highly resolving, spacious and lovely tube sound without being thick or muddy.

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:51 PM Post #47 of 320
I have these same tubes on my Little Dot MK VI+ ! The mid range with the PSVane CV181-MK2 is heavenly. For rock I slightly prefer the GE Red Base 5691 (rebranded RCA). Also, if you want a very pleasant surprise which I am surprised is not to be found anywhere on the internet or on forums, give the JAN Philips 6080WC a go, they are one of the most underrated tubes I used on the Little Dot MK VI+. Highly resolving, spacious and lovely tube sound without being thick or muddy.
Will give em a try for sure, similar to Sylvania's I've read and very cheap :D

Thanks mate

Oct 22, 2021 at 5:58 PM Post #48 of 320
Will give em a try for sure, similar to Sylvania's I've read and very cheap :D

Thanks mate
Yes. I prefer them to the Sylvania's (YMMV ofc). I had them for months but did not try them because they were so cheap. Then one day I thought, let me give them a shot... my jaw dropped. I immediately ordered another 4 as spare :ksc75smile: also if you are able to, the Winged C's are also well worth the (small) investment - especially if you like a spacious, airy sound. Anyway sorry for the tube talk, news of the WA22 being a fantastic pre and then of your excellent experience with these same tubes, answered some questions I had about my Little Dot MK VI+ as pre with the TRH-1.

Oct 27, 2021 at 5:13 PM Post #49 of 320
New Kinki THR-1 owner here and currently using the HEDD headphone. Still burning in, but so far very happy! Plenty of power, even for the Hedd's. Still more burn in time required I think and waiting to connect up a better dac (using IBASSO DX300 currently until my Qutest arrives). Very much liking the sound signature of the combo, but think the Qutest will bring in some more detail/separation/stage, which will be welcome.

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #50 of 320
New Kinki THR-1 owner here and currently using the HEDD headphone. Still burning in, but so far very happy! Plenty of power, even for the Hedd's. Still more burn in time required I think and waiting to connect up a better dac (using IBASSO DX300 currently until my Qutest arrives). Very much liking the sound signature of the combo, but think the Qutest will bring in some more detail/separation/stage, which will be welcome.
I hope you enjoy it

Oct 28, 2021 at 6:32 PM Post #51 of 320
You don't hear anything yet.. believe me.
When you pass the 200 hours and more then you realize what this marvelous amp can do.
I m in love with THR-1..!!!

Nov 1, 2021 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 320
When you pass the 200 hours and more then you realize what this marvelous amp can do.
I'm hearing improvements everyday! I'm probably close to 200 hrs by now. Reading some of the previous posts, I'll be interested to try my Trafomatic Evolution line one tube pre-amp with the Kinki. The Trafomatic gets very little press, but it looks like a shindo pre-amp inside. Very basic circuit topology, but very well implemented with good parts and workmanship. It sounds amazing with my Line Magnetic 518ia, but have never tried it with a headphone amp.

Nov 2, 2021 at 2:20 AM Post #53 of 320
I'm hearing improvements everyday! I'm probably close to 200 hrs by now. Reading some of the previous posts, I'll be interested to try my Trafomatic Evolution line one tube pre-amp with the Kinki. The Trafomatic gets very little press, but it looks like a shindo pre-amp inside. Very basic circuit topology, but very well implemented with good parts and workmanship. It sounds amazing with my Line Magnetic 518ia, but have never tried it with a headphone amp.
Please try and share. I think the THR-1 works exceptionally well with tube preamp.

Nov 2, 2021 at 5:59 AM Post #54 of 320
I leave it 24/7 on, metal is warm but never hot, sound is always superb. The insides of the machine are quality only.

Nov 2, 2021 at 8:33 AM Post #55 of 320
I leave it 24/7 on, metal is warm but never hot, sound is always superb. The insides of the machine are quality only.
same here. :)

Nov 11, 2021 at 5:48 AM Post #56 of 320
Kinki THR-1 repair update (100% fixed):

I was crazy about the lost of sound in right channel and thought it was the ALPS potentiometer all along but it was the relay all along, my unit is from 2017 and due to the use the mechanism of the relay lost strenght for 1 channel

1636627655861.png

Repair was very simple, desolder old relay, solder the new one, done.

If you ever encounter this problem with your Kinki where you lose right or left channel sound don't get alarmed and don't panick, it is probably the OMRON relay, a 4€ repair... :D

1636627390571.png

Attachments

• 1636627638136.png
    1636627638136.png
    812.9 KB · Views: 0
Nov 11, 2021 at 7:19 AM Post #57 of 320
Kinki THR-1 repair update (100% fixed):

I was crazy about the lost of sound in right channel and thought it was the ALPS potentiometer all along but it was the relay all along, my unit is from 2017 and due to the use the mechanism of the relay lost strenght for 1 channel

1636627655861.png

Repair was very simple, desolder old relay, solder the new one, done.

If you ever encounter this problem with your Kinki where you lose right or left channel sound don't get alarmed and don't panick, it is probably the OMRON relay, a 4€ repair... :D

1636627390571.png
A big congrats!

Nov 21, 2021 at 10:19 AM Post #59 of 320
Looking for a 120v Kinki THR-1 if anyone has one let me know :)
I think the Kinki THR-1 works for 120v/230v, you just need to switch the 4-pin molex connector, I noticed this in the many occasions I had the unit naked to fix it haha

This will make easier for you to find one that's for sure, I hope @alvin1118 could confirm this

1637507861919.png

Nov 21, 2021 at 2:50 PM Post #60 of 320
For anyone using the TRH-1 and the Burson Soloist 3X Performance, is there any reason to keep the Soloist as well as the TRH-1? I will be placing my order for the TRH-1 in December and am hoping I will not need to keep both amps (unless there is a good reason to do so). I already have an OTL tube amp which I can use as headphone amp only or pre-amp into the TRH-1, hopefully with good results based on the comments in this thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back