King Sound Emperor: New Electrostatic Headphones!
Apr 21, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #64 of 666
Quote:
It's where the existing thread was.

But since the LCD-2s were moved to the regular forum, don't you suppose this one should too? I agree with El Doug. 
size]

Apr 21, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #65 of 666
Well it has 2 things going for it to stay in Summit-Fi. Stats and ToTL of its manufacturer. The Koss ESP-950 thread is in Summit-Fi, I don't know why this wouldn't be.

Apr 22, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #68 of 666
I had the opportunity to spend about 15 minutes with the King Sound Headphone 1 and M-10 solid state amp this past weekend, and they were the biggest shocker of the meet for me. . .

+ Very detailed and accurate
+ Excellent low frequency response
+ Easy listening, laid-back sound signature
+ Very lightweight 
+ Extremely comfortable to wear, with nice ear pads *
+ Outstanding performance for the money

- Non-detachable cords
- Finish / build quality seemed lacking, and gave the impression of a "cheap" product.
- Minor background noise. This may be no fault of the headphone/amp, as it was impossible to pinpoint the source, but the background wasn't completely black.
- Being brand new products, I would be concerned with reliability. (Although I'm not sure what King Sound's CS or warranty policies are like.)
- Aesthetics may not be for everyone

*The headband . . . Drew from Moon Audio made it clear that the headband was a makeshift prototype and not a production model, but I would still be apprehensive about the production headband. I say this because photos of the production model appear to show the same yoke/adjustment device as the prototype. The headphones were extremely comfortable to wear, but ONLY when you could convince the yokes to hold the drivers at the correct height. I regularly found myself readjusting the placement as they continually slid down my ears. Hopefully the production model will address this issue.

Overall, I found the performance of these headphones to easily be in the same ballpark as the HE-500 and LCD2. Considering they're in the same price range with basically a free amp, they do pose a huge value potential. Will I be in the first group to own them? Tough to say. Considering I already have a nice traditional amp and a good bit invested in tubes, I'll probably own the LCD2's first. That said, I do see myself owning a pair of these.

Prototype Headphone 1 and M-10 solid state amp ($800):

Production Headphone 1 (from KS's website):

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:12 PM Post #71 of 666
Hmmm... this has me VERY interested.

Anyone care to say if it has more bass than the ESP 950 or SR-407? Those are the only 'stats I've heard, and I love both, though I feel like the ESP950 could use a bit more bass body and impact. The SR-407 was tight and puchy, which was fine, but hated the comfort.

edit: The amp seems to have a built in bass boost? HMMM, ok. I might want these.

If these are near those two and more comfy (which I assume it is), I might have my next purchase planned.

Why does the pre-order not include the amp? If it was confirmed, I would have been a guinea pig and ordered it on the spot.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:35 PM Post #72 of 666
Quote:
Hmmm... this has me VERY interested.

Anyone care to say if it has more bass than the ESP 950 or SR-407? Those are the only 'stats I've heard, and I love both, though I feel like the ESP950 could use a bit more bass body and impact. The SR-407 was tight and puchy, which was fine, but hated the comfort.

edit: The amp seems to have a built in bass boost? HMMM, ok. I might want these.

If these are near those two and more comfy (which I assume it is), I might have my next purchase planned.

Why does the pre-order not include the amp? If it was confirmed, I would have been a guinea pig and ordered it on the spot.

I was also very curious why the choice of amp wasn't included. Drew confirmed that it would be $800 total with the SS and $1600 total with the tube. I believe he said he would be receiving 20 of each in the first shipment.

As far as bass, I felt that the KS stats produced bass equivalent to or perhaps even better than the LCD2.2's. Same source, but different DAC, and obviously amp. I know that's not the comparo you were looking for, but the LCD's bass prowess is well documented.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:36 PM Post #73 of 666
Actually, that sounds GREAT, as I happen to own the LCD2 and I love their bass. :)

Just didn't expect an e-stat to compare to the LCD2 in bass. If it's true, then OMG, this is the one I want.

edit: Order placed. They better put up the amp soon, as I will obviously need it. Lol.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:50 PM Post #74 of 666
Quote:
Actually, that sounds GREAT, as I happen to own the LCD2 and I love their bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just didn't expect an e-stat to compare top the LCD2 in bass. If it's true, then OMG, this is the one I want.

edit: Order placed. They better put up the amp soon, as I will obviously need it. Lol.

Honestly, neither did I, but I listened to the LCD's and KS stat back to back and was blown away by their performance. My mouth was literally, no BS, hanging open after just a few minutes with them. If they're reliable and KS deals with the headband issue, I think they're bar none the best value out there.

If I had to guess, I think Drew is just using the $500 headphone charge as a place holding down payment, and then you'll get to choose your amp come ship time.

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:51 PM Post #75 of 666
Quote:
Actually, that sounds GREAT, as I happen to own the LCD2 and I love their bass.
smily_headphones1.gif

Just didn't expect an e-stat to compare to the LCD2 in bass. If it's true, then OMG, this is the one I want.

Congrats MLE. I know if you get this before the amp it will drive you nuts. LOL
very_evil_smiley.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back