King Diamond & Mercyful Fate
Nov 27, 2001 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Magic77

500+ Head-Fier
Well, I decided to start this forum now so we can really get into talking about King Diamond & Mercyful Fate.

I've been a fan since 1986. So, I have a lot of info about them and can talk about the music and band members.

Their official website is: www.covenworldwide.org

Dec 1, 2001 at 2:29 PM Post #3 of 16
I got my two Cds, Melissa & Break the Oath, both are very good and definite keepers. Hear definite influences of Judas Priest and NWOBHM, but MF have a bit more speed/aggression similar to 1st
Metallica and 1st Slayer Cds also released during that time. Although they deal with dark subject matter, they never seem threatening/dangerous like 1st two Venom Cds. Sometimes Diamond goes a bit overboard with the vocal pyrotechnics and distracts from the music, he does sound remarkably like Rob Halford of Judas Priest. Twin lead guitars lay down some nasty licks.

To sumarize if you want a heavier/faster Judas Priest (like song
Exciter) then that is 1st two Merciful fate Cds, thanks to Magic
for bring these to my attention.

Dec 1, 2001 at 4:13 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
What is NWOBHM?

New Wave of British Heavy Metal. There is actually a separate entry for this under "styles" at AMG .

Dec 1, 2001 at 4:23 PM Post #6 of 16
oh ok, thanks!
ogre2.gif

Dec 1, 2001 at 5:13 PM Post #7 of 16
Dark Angel,

I'm glad you like the Mercyful Fate CD's. Yes, you are right about the Rob Halford, Judas Priest style and similarities to Mercyful Fate's sound. The guitar playing is excellent in my opinion on all Mercyful Fate albums. King Diamond does seem to have a Rob Halford influence to his vocals, but has his own style as well.

The newer Mercyful Fate has all different members now with the exception of Guitarist Hank Shermann,who has been there since "Melissa" and of course King Diamond. But,the music has not suffered at all in my opinion. The latest Mercyful Fate CD was "9" released in 1999 and worth checking out.

Dec 10, 2001 at 6:07 PM Post #8 of 16
I was glad to see this post of Mercyful Fate/King Diamond. I have been into all of King's stuff since I first heard "Them", and I think the early Fate album's are classics too. Nothing like some great metal through a good headphone/amp system either. Thanks for the web link also, I have not seen that one before. KING RULES!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Magic 77,
I need to mention that the albums with Mikkey Dee are really my favorites and not even thinking about Fate's stuff. He was by far the one of the most creative drummers for King. I didn't think some of the other drummers (Snowy Shaw) fit nearly as well, but I did like The Graveyard alot for creativity. Hmmmmm I wonder what Mikkey Dee would have sounded like on that. If you don't have Graveyard and H.O.G...GET 'EM ASAP!!!!!!
evil_smiley.gif

Dec 10, 2001 at 10:20 PM Post #9 of 16
krell1,

Glad to see your'e a Fan also. "Them" is probably my favorite King Diamond album also. The 2 Guitar attack of Andy LaRocque and Pete Blakk were the best. I was just listening to "The Eye" which is also a great King Diamond album.

I can't wait for "Abigail II" to come out in January 2002.

Dec 10, 2001 at 10:29 PM Post #10 of 16
I saw King Diamond a few years back at some club in Long Island, it was amazing!!!! Does he still tour in the states?

George

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:26 PM Post #12 of 16
Melissa (1983)
Don't Break the Oath (1984)
In the Shadows (1993)
Time (1994)
Into the Unknown (1996)
Dead Again (1998)
9 (1999)

Fatal Portrait (1986)
Abigail (1987)
"Them" (1988)
Conspiracy (1989)
The Eye (1990)
The Spider's Lullabye (1995)
The Graveyard (1996)
Voodoo (1998)
House of God (2000)
Abigail II: The Revenge (2002)
The Puppet Master (2003)
Give Me Your Soul...Please (2007)

In Concert 1987: Abigail (1990)
Deadly Lullabyes: Live (2004)

Looking over the complete output I was totally amazed to really see how I know everything released except maybe some composite releases. They have such a huge amount of music and have released stuff for a long time! I even love the MF EP not listed.

I am very familiar with these records. The only record I have not ever heard in MF's TIME(1994). Melissa and Don't Break the Oath were always favorites until Abigail came out. In all my years I had never heard anything like Abigail. The sound was very different from anything ever recorded.Then there was the release of Them which was also just as great. I guess I am a true fan as every album to me is wonderful.

In Concert 1987:Abigail(1990) may not be that well recorded but Deadly Lullabyes makes up for it being a perfect choice of songs and the recording quality is perfect.

If you get a chance to hear The Eye on a really good headphone rig it is amazing. Another well recorded King album would have to be Conspiracy. Melissa is such a strangely recorded record when played. I can not seem to figure out why.
Melissa has a sound all to itself. Some people like the early Diamond up to Conspiracy only and even though I am a little that way, I do like his later output.

Even the album 9 from 1999 by MF is great. I found Dead Again and Into the Unknown to be very interesting too. Nothing though can top Don't Break the Oath, Fatal Portrait
Them and Abigail. In Fatal Portrait you can kind of hear how he was going to change into what Abigail was to be. They have stated themselves as the best Heavy Metal band in the world. If you have ever seen them live you may agree.

For many King's voice is the maker or breaker. I think I was more into the guitar and did not pay close attention to the vocals until I was more used to them.
 King's voice is an acquired taste, like many things in life. Seeing him live was seeing influence from Alice Cooper and Andy's guitar is beyond anything. They have talked about the influences of different bands, I always thought it was funny to hear King Diamond say he had influences by the band Kansas! lol. All and all it has been a long wonderful journey over the years. When you see so many King Diamond tattoos, you know how much he has given to the metal community and how dear to the hart they hold him. 

Jul 2, 2011 at 11:37 PM Post #13 of 16
10 year old thread?

Kill it with fire!

OTOH, King Diamond is pretty awesome.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back