King Crimson.
Jan 24, 2006 at 6:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Buffalo Bill

100+ Head-Fier
So I've veered away from the audiophile community. Not because I don't like you guys, because my wallet can't quite handle the expenses of being an audio snob at the moment. I still have my ER-4Ps, and while I never got an amplifier of any kind, I'm still very satisfied.. for now...
wink.gif

Anyways, the past month or so, I've been kind of on a musical quest; a journey to find what kind of music I really like. Progressive Rock and Music Theory will still top my list, but I love many, many classic artists. Turns out I don't dislike The 'Zep... it's just the radio plays the wrong selection of them. Psychical Graffiti is awesome, and I have yet to move on from it. I still hate The Beatles and a whole lot of The Eagles... still have yet to figure out why.

But there is one band I've listened to lightly for a year, King Crimson, that came back into play. I listened to 'In the Court of the Crimson King' a whole lot, and just dabbled in their other stuff. I have yet to listen to anything offered from this millenium. But I'm not here to tell you about there carrer, but rather, just one album by them.

Islands. Hol-ley crap is this album amazing. I wish I could find a review that captivates the experience better than I can, but apprently Rolling Stone has some sort of beef with the 'Crimson, and Amazon reviews would be as much rambling nonsence as I could do. But this album is awesome. It's dark, but not sinister... cheerful without being peppy... all the emotions are properly layed out and portrayed amazingly through the brass and string sections from within the album.

To get to the point I wanted to get to the most, the closer. 'Prelude' anticipates you for the final track ('Islands'). It carries up your emotion and gives you a feel for happiness. It properly tunes you in, without being over-agressive like most progressive rock wishes to achieve. But in this case, this peice is done correctly. This then transitions you in smothly to 'Islands', where the tone immediately shifts.

The lyrics and vocal tone convey a very soft and saddening message, as the still-present strings carry you throughout the verses, and into the solo, where the brass plays a very saddening peice. The whole completion of the album lifts off into a slow transcent, leaving you with, instead of a feeling of sadness, a feeling of memory.

I mean, this is funeral music. Graduation music. It doesn't at all make you sad at all. Or dwell on something bleak. It somehow creates this thought-provosion within your mind of memory. Somehow uplifting in your own way. It's not psychedelic, but of the likes. It's an amazing journey, that expands the mind and really takes you away.

While I would never pressure anyone into my own taste of music, if this sounds pretty cool, check it out. I'm not sure how uncommon this album is, but it seems not to have much of a sales following. So find it however you do, and check out the whole album. Definately, as I read in one review, "The dark side of King Crimson". I just wish they would have dabled in the concept a little longer.

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:07 PM Post #2 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Buffalo Bill
But there is one band I've listened to lightly for a year, King Crimson, that came back into play. I listened to 'In the Court of the Crimson King' a whole lot, and just dabbled in their other stuff. I have yet to listen to anything offered from this millenium. But I'm not here to tell you about there carrer, but rather, just one album by them.

Islands. Hol-ley crap is this album amazing. I wish I could find a review that captivates the experience better than I can, but apprently Rolling Stone has some sort of beef with the 'Crimson, and Amazon reviews would be as much rambling nonsence as I could do. But this album is awesome. It's dark, but not sinister... cheerful without being peppy... all the emotions are properly layed out and portrayed amazingly through the brass and string sections from within the album.

Funny, Islands is usually considered one of the band's weakest efforts (Boz Burrell, who didn't actually know how to play bass and whose voice is something of an acquired taste, is usually the scapegoat). I like it OK, but for me and lots of other fans the real high points are Larks' Tongues in Aspic through Red - if you haven't yet gotten to those three albums, they're the ones to go for. These three albums (and their live counterparts like the essential 4-disc box The Great Deceiver) aren't called KC's "classic period" for nothin'!

Some reviews of Islands here: http://www.progreviews.com/reviews/d...hp?rev=kc-isla

Jan 24, 2006 at 4:59 PM Post #3 of 16
Coming from one of the biggest KC fans you'll ever find (I even wrote a KC for Beginners guide if you want me to post it for you), I've always thought Islands was underrated. It's only harshly reviewed because people tend to compare it to the brilliance of Court and Poseidon that came before it. Lizard, their jazz album kind of stands on its own while Islands was a throwback to Court and Poseidon without being extremely original or innovative (which Crimson lived and breathed throughout their career).

That said, it's still a really good album, even without the originality. Kind of a combination of all their styles. Some rock, some jazz, some classical, some spacey, some weirdness, all nicely blended together. But I do think it's their moodiest, spaciest, most reflective album up until that point - perhaps taking a cue from Floyd, so perhaps that's where its uniqueness lies among their early albums.

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 16
Islands has long been one of my favorite King Crimson albums and I've never understood why it gets such poor reviews. The first four albums are some of the best stuff out there.

Larks Tongues and subsequent albums seem like a different band to me, although I like Red. I remember when Larks Tongues was released - I'd been looking forward to a new King Crimson album and was rather disappointed when I heard it.

Islands is great!

Jan 24, 2006 at 7:32 PM Post #5 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by richard
Larks Tongues and subsequent albums seem like a different band to me, although I like Red. I remember when Larks Tongues was released - I'd been looking forward to a new King Crimson album and was rather disappointed when I heard it.

It WAS a different band! And thank GOD for that different band! KC was ALWAYS a band that wasn't at home unless they were innovating and doing something new and creative. With each period they did just that. They really were not a band that could've EVER kept releasing the same old albums time after time after time. Their 70's output was brilliant. And it's a testament to their greatness that their 90's to current output is just as great.

Jan 24, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #6 of 16
It's still REALLY difficult for me to imagine that In The Court of the Crimson King was recorded back in 1969! King Crimson was SO ahead of their time.

ITCOTCK in particular gets me going every time. '21st Century Schidzoid Man' is one of the best prog-rock songs I've ever heard. Instrumentally, it's complex and utterly exhilerating. The vocals are distorted and psychotic... and then over-the-top ballads like 'Epitah' and 'The Court Of The Crimson King' really bring the emotional poetry out in its purest form. It's still to this day one of my favorite rock albums of all time, ranking up there with A Wizard A True Star, The White Album, and Thick as a Brick for me.

Lark's Tongues in Aspic is another favorite of mine, particularly the eerie instrumental jams! In the eighties, 'Three of a Perfect Pair' continued Crimson's legacy as an innovative band. Even during an era where the genres were limited to synths and electronic drums, Robert Fripp and Company were able to sincerely innovate and invent.

One of my favorite bands of all time? Hell yes
smily_headphones1.gif
It took them a REALLY long time to sell out, too! (Fripp sold out when he started making jingles for Microsoft, which only hit the news a month ago at most - that's nearly fourty years
biggrin.gif
)

Jan 25, 2006 at 12:34 AM Post #7 of 16
I'm another long time Crimson fan (30+ years) and Islands is probably one of my 3 favorite albums. The title track never fails to make me smile and feel very dreamy, and Mr. Fripp's solo in "Sailor's Tale" is IMHO one of his best ever. The album has always just had a cohesive feel to it that only ITCOTCK and Lark's Tongue's match.

A_Sr.

Jan 25, 2006 at 2:06 AM Post #8 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
It WAS a different band! And thank GOD for that different band! KC was ALWAYS a band that wasn't at home unless they were innovating and doing something new and creative. With each period they did just that. They really were not a band that could've EVER kept releasing the same old albums time after time after time. Their 70's output was brilliant. And it's a testament to their greatness that their 90's to current output is just as great.

Every band changes over time. KC is more changeable than most bands; the only real continuity is Fripp.

I'd liken the change in KC from Islands to Larks Tongues to the change in Genesis from Lamb to Trick of the Tail and Wind & Wuthering. In both cases the changes produced something new and different. The question is whether the change was for the good. Let's just say that opinions differ.

Jan 25, 2006 at 5:13 AM Post #9 of 16
Some news I received this evening related to Crimson - a new DGM artists website has opened up: www.dgmlive.com. It appears to have a lot of the content of the old DGM site (Fripp diaries, band biography, etc.) but they are selling archive downloads, and in both mp3 and flac. Not a lot out there yet, but take a look. Currently there are some 70's Crimson sets as well as some Fripp solo sessions.

A_Sr.

Jan 25, 2006 at 11:15 PM Post #10 of 16
Given the fact that I'm such a prog-head, I'm a surprisingly casual KC fan. I've dabbled but that's it. I have ITCOTCK, but beyond that I mostly have stuff from the Discipline period and beyond. Where does Islands fit in the "progression"?

Jan 26, 2006 at 12:39 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis
Given the fact that I'm such a prog-head, I'm a surprisingly casual KC fan. I've dabbled but that's it. I have ITCOTCK, but beyond that I mostly have stuff from the Discipline period and beyond. Where does Islands fit in the "progression"?

Here ya go:

In the Court of the Crimson King - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL TO ANY PROG ROCK FAN'S LIBRARY! Probably THE single most influential prog rock album ever. My personal favorite Crim album as well. Stay far away from it if you hate mellotrons though.

In the Wake of Poseidon - A very simular album to Court. Get Court first and if you like it, pick up Poseidon as well.

Lizard - Their heaviest jazz album. The title track is 23 minutes long with lots of brass instrumentation. Alot of brilliant moments and definitely worth getting if you like jazz.

Islands - This is one of their weaker albums. It mixes influences from all their previous albums as well as some classical influences but the songs aren't overall as strong.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic - 70's King Crimson was fearless and slightly wacked. Really cool and unique stuff combining Zep like rock/metal with prog rock and the freedom of jazz and experimentation of artists like Zappa. Larks' is probably the best representation of that sound.

Starless and Bible Black - Much less accessable than Larks' and especially Red. Most of it was recorded from live improv sessions but there's still so much brilliance to be found. It's worth the purchase price for the song Fracture alone. A downright scary instrumental that proves Robert Fripp was perhaps the most underrated musician of his generation.

Red - This album is REALLY accessble compared with Larks' and Starless. So much beauty and melody, it's the perfect starting point for new Crim fans. If you like it's more adventurous moments, chances are you'll like other Crim albums, but ease yourself into them.

Discipline - Like all Crim eras they took the sound of the generation and made it their own, no different with the 80's. Discipline is EASILY their best 80's and along with Court, Red, and Thrak their last absolutely essential album.

Beat - They took the title of this one seriously. Lots of hooks and 80's pop melodies. They make it their own and succeed more often than not. It's a really FUN album by Crim standards. But not the best starting place for new fans.

Three of a Perfect Pair - Easily their weakest album, even compared to Islands. It's got alot of interesting material that just never takes off. You listen to it and keep thinking "what could've been". Only for devoted Crim fans.

THRAK - After Court it's my favorite Crim album, definitely essential. It's probably one of the easier Crim albums to get into despite being pretty dark. But the instrumentals and melodies are just SO strong throughout the entire album.

The ConstruKction of Light - It's really hard to rate this album, it's a real black sheep in the Crim library. It's almost a nod to everything they've done in the past, but at the same time sounds completely different. I really love most of it, but oddly enough, alot of fans hate it. So probably not for new fans.

The Power to Believe - Their latest is surprisingly strong. Sounding like a proper followup to Thrak but with a lighter tone. I think Thrak is more immediately memorable, but Power to Believe is a great companion piece.

Jan 26, 2006 at 1:10 AM Post #12 of 16
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doc Sarvis

That 2-LP set called "A Young Person's Guide to King Crimson" is very cool if you don't wanna go overboard. That along with the essential In the Court of the Crimson King carried me up until the Discipline era. It's a beautiful gatefold double LP. Comes with a full size 20 page book of liner notes that chronicles the band from 1968 to 1975, kind of a diary, ending with the November 15 entry coming right before the album release: NME. Teazers: "Young Person's Guide To King Crimson", first ever Crimson double album (yawn)--. They didn't get much respect back in those early [almost] punk days!
wink.gif

Jan 28, 2006 at 3:41 AM Post #13 of 16
I've been a total Yes-head since 1972 - Present, and ELP has been one of my favorite bands since 1973, but, for some reason, I never got into KC. Well, I just heard "The Power To Believe" on Rhapsody and immediately ordered the CD. I'm listening to it right now as I type. For its lyrical use of raw power intertwined with beautifully ethereal, contemplative moments, all delivered in a deliriously surreal stream of gorgeously crafted sonic images and impressions, it is just an amazing listen. For me, this is definitely a Grado SR225 album.

Jan 30, 2006 at 4:44 AM Post #14 of 16
I've been a Crimson fan since the release of ITCOTCK when I was a young lad. Very well done mini guide. There is virtually nothing I would disagree with either. My compliments!

JC

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheGhostWhoWalks
Here ya go:

In the Court of the Crimson King - ABSOLUTELY ESSENTIAL TO ANY PROG ROCK FAN'S LIBRARY! Probably THE single most influential prog rock album ever. My personal favorite Crim album as well. Stay far away from it if you hate mellotrons though.

In the Wake of Poseidon - A very simular album to Court. Get Court first and if you like it, pick up Poseidon as well.

Lizard - Their heaviest jazz album. The title track is 23 minutes long with lots of brass instrumentation. Alot of brilliant moments and definitely worth getting if you like jazz.

Islands - This is one of their weaker albums. It mixes influences from all their previous albums as well as some classical influences but the songs aren't overall as strong.

Larks' Tongues in Aspic - 70's King Crimson was fearless and slightly wacked. Really cool and unique stuff combining Zep like rock/metal with prog rock and the freedom of jazz and experimentation of artists like Zappa. Larks' is probably the best representation of that sound.

Starless and Bible Black - Much less accessable than Larks' and especially Red. Most of it was recorded from live improv sessions but there's still so much brilliance to be found. It's worth the purchase price for the song Fracture alone. A downright scary instrumental that proves Robert Fripp was perhaps the most underrated musician of his generation.

Red - This album is REALLY accessble compared with Larks' and Starless. So much beauty and melody, it's the perfect starting point for new Crim fans. If you like it's more adventurous moments, chances are you'll like other Crim albums, but ease yourself into them.

Discipline - Like all Crim eras they took the sound of the generation and made it their own, no different with the 80's. Discipline is EASILY their best 80's and along with Court, Red, and Thrak their last absolutely essential album.

Beat - They took the title of this one seriously. Lots of hooks and 80's pop melodies. They make it their own and succeed more often than not. It's a really FUN album by Crim standards. But not the best starting place for new fans.

Three of a Perfect Pair - Easily their weakest album, even compared to Islands. It's got alot of interesting material that just never takes off. You listen to it and keep thinking "what could've been". Only for devoted Crim fans.

THRAK - After Court it's my favorite Crim album, definitely essential. It's probably one of the easier Crim albums to get into despite being pretty dark. But the instrumentals and melodies are just SO strong throughout the entire album.

The ConstruKction of Light - It's really hard to rate this album, it's a real black sheep in the Crim library. It's almost a nod to everything they've done in the past, but at the same time sounds completely different. I really love most of it, but oddly enough, alot of fans hate it. So probably not for new fans.

The Power to Believe - Their latest is surprisingly strong. Sounding like a proper followup to Thrak but with a lighter tone. I think Thrak is more immediately memorable, but Power to Believe is a great companion piece.

Jan 30, 2006 at 5:08 AM Post #15 of 16
I think you didn't give Three of a Perfect Pair enough credit. There's still some experimental and 'out there' songs to be found (particularly Larks' Tongues in Aspic, Part III) and the more accessible tracks (like the title track) are still a fun listen, to me. It's out of character for much of the time, maybe, but I don't think that warrants the 'never buy' label which you have given it. If you're a fan of King Crimson, I think that Three of a Perfect Pair is an interesting listen. Not their best, by far, but I really don't think there's one lemon in the entire King Crimson discography. Three of a Perfect Pair may be underwhelming to those wanting the psychotic, insane progressive movements King Crimson is known for, but as far as music goes, one can do a LOT worse.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back