King Crimson 40th Anniversary releases
Dec 23, 2010 at 2:33 AM Post #61 of 100
Hey, GoPack, are you a young guy? The reason I ask is maybe, Skylab, you might not be able to hear it just because of age-related hearing range loss (obviously no offense intended, it happens to everyone). It's a very very high tone that I'm hearing, probably towards the top end of my audible range.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:03 AM Post #62 of 100

Quote:
Hey, GoPack, are you a young guy? The reason I ask is maybe, Skylab, you might not be able to hear it just because of age-related hearing range loss (obviously no offense intended, it happens to everyone). It's a very very high tone that I'm hearing, probably towards the top end of my audible range.

Yes, I'm 23.  It's really obvious no matter the volume or headphone; a loud buzzing sound that gets piercing quickly.  I'm sure I'm more sensitive due to being young but I wonder if my CD has a defect  and Skylab's is normal.  Maybe I'll send an email to burning shed and see if they have heard of this problem or if it's just a manufacturer defect in our copies.

Dec 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #63 of 100
I suppose that I'd rather have a defective disc with a 2 week shipping time rather than having to wait a decade or so until I can no longer hear the offending distortion. Just as a double-check, Skylab, the whine that I'm hearing came from the CD, as I have not yet listened to the DVD.

Dec 23, 2010 at 9:27 AM Post #64 of 100

Quote:
I suppose that I'd rather have a defective disc with a 2 week shipping time rather than having to wait a decade or so until I can no longer hear the offending distortion. Just as a double-check, Skylab, the whine that I'm hearing came from the CD, as I have not yet listened to the DVD.

Yes, I ripped the CD using Apple Lossless into iTunes.  I can hear easily to 19 kHz, and there is no way that what you are describing can be higher than that in frequency - listen to a 19 kHz test tine - even with perfect ears, sounds this high are barely audible.

That said, there is a pretty interesting Mellotron sustain in "Islands" that does begin more or less at that time.  I would never have described that as piercing high-pitched distortion, and it's not that loud, but I suppose for someone not used to the mellotron, perhaps that's it?

But more likely you guys have defective discs, I think.  FWIW, I ordered mine from Burning Shed, and so technically mine is the "UK pressing".

Dec 23, 2010 at 11:45 AM Post #65 of 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylab /img/forum/go_quote.gif

That said, there is a pretty interesting Mellotron sustain in "Islands" that does begin more or less at that time.  I would never have described that as piercing high-pitched distortion, and it's not that loud, but I suppose for someone not used to the mellotron, perhaps that's it?

But more likely you guys have defective discs, I think.  FWIW, I ordered mine from Burning Shed, and so technically mine is the "UK pressing".

Agreed on both points, Rob. There's a persistent Mellotron drone that starts at about 6:00 and stays there until the end of the song -- I believe it's actually the last sound you hear as part of the "song" proper, until about 9:15 or so. This is one of the endearing eccentricities of the album for me -- the glorious drone of a consistently malfunctioning Mellotron balancing out an otherwise "just pretty" chamber jazz finale.

But yes, I have the UK pressing as well and I'd never call the sound "piercing" in the last -- it's a feedback buzz, for sure, but it's always well within the range of listening comfort for me. I'd drop an email to DGM and ask about it -- it might be a known issue.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #66 of 100

Quote:

That could definitely be it, the Mellotron is the sound that's very high and occasionally breaks into static? I compared the sound with a hearing test article that had pure tones, and it sounded like it was between 15K and 16K Hz. 

Dang, I'm disappointed that I didn't recognize it! I'm pretty familiar with the sound of the instrument, or so I'd thought.

Dec 23, 2010 at 12:18 PM Post #67 of 100
At the moment I have the first five albums in 30th anniversary pressings and the sound is nothing to complain about. Is there an added value in sound that I should take into consideration? 

If so that would mean that I would need a suitable playing device for the future.

About the recording itself for those who have listened to the 40th anniversary discs: does the sound give you the feeling that you are listening to digital or an analogue sounding recording? 

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #68 of 100

Quote:

About the recording itself for those who have listened to the 40th anniversary discs: does the sound give you the feeling that you are listening to digital or an analogue sounding recording? 

For me, that kind of varies from recording to recording. I always thought the 30th anny release of Lizard had a very unpleasant and compressed-sounding digital edge to it. That's wholly gone in the 40th anny version, especially when it comes to the horns. Gordon Haskell's vocals are still heavily processed in places, of course, but that's the intention -- and Jon Anderson's vocals on the "Prince Rupert" suite have taken on a totally different and much improved quality.

I'm still getting used to the new mixes of Court and Islands, and except for the bonus tracks, I've found no real reason to splurge for the new version of Red.

The specs vary a great deal from recording to recording -- some have new stereo Redbook mixes, meaning you'd see the benefits without new equipment, while others are valuable only for the high-rez content.

Dec 23, 2010 at 1:36 PM Post #69 of 100
I would say Court and Islands for sure are worth it, as is Wake of Poseidon if you like that album (which I do very much). I'm not as in to Lizard, but the sound is an upgrade. I agree for sure Red is not worth the price of you have the 30th anniv version.

Dec 23, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #70 of 100
Thanks, I should at least consider the début album and if I am sure the second just for "The Devil's Triangle". Regarding "Islands", that album is really a grower because it somehow rewards after repeated listens. 

Regarding the analogue-digital sound, my main CD-player sound less digital than I expected comparing it to the sound of my vinyl (memory comparison, beware). It uses the SAA 7341 DAC chip which has a softer 'natural' sound to which I have become accustomed. But for DVD-Audio I would hate it if the recordings sounded too 'digital'. I still dread the memory of hearing the 'sharp' sound of Dream Theater's "Awake" for the first time. 

P.S. I might try to get the vinyl copy of "In The Court Of The Crimson King", for now I only have Classical music on vinyl but the sound difference is pleasing enough to find some 'classic' albums on vinyl. 

Oct 4, 2011 at 9:24 PM Post #71 of 100
Got my "40th Anniversary Series" King Crimson "Discipline" and "Starless and Bible Black" today. Both are HUGE improvements sonically over the prior versions. Really great stuff. Discipline is such a great record. I also love the SW "alternate mix" versions of Sheltering Sky and Thela Hun Ginjeet. Some cool vocal soundscapes on Sky, and no vocals whatsoever on Ginjeet. Very cool. steven Wilson has done a superb job once again.

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:49 AM Post #72 of 100

Quote:
Got my "40th Anniversary Series" King Crimson "Discipline" and "Starless and Bible Black" today. Both are HUGE improvements sonically over the prior versions. Really great stuff. Discipline is such a great record. I also love the SW "alternate mix" versions of Sheltering Sky and Thela Hun Ginjeet. Some cool vocal soundscapes on Sky, and no vocals whatsoever on Ginjeet. Very cool. steven Wilson has done a superb job once again.

Thanks for reminding me! Indeed Discipline is great, if not, my favorite of the band. Glad they're nice sonically, I've been waiting for this release and didn't buy the 30th

*running to the shop...

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #73 of 100
bye the way, why isn't there a 40th ann. of 'Larks...', which was before 'Starless...'?

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:24 AM Post #74 of 100
That's actually a REALLY good question. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the multi-track masters for Larks are missing.

Oct 6, 2011 at 8:36 AM Post #75 of 100

Quote:
P.S. I might try to get the vinyl copy of "In The Court Of The Crimson King", for now I only have Classical music on vinyl but the sound difference is pleasing enough to find some 'classic' albums on vinyl. 

If you do get the vinyl, please ensure you leave the sleeve lying around in a prominent place  - to scare young children
eek.gif
When I had this a long time ago, I hid it from my parents in case they thought I'd been taken over by bad influences.

Quote:
bye the way, why isn't there a 40th ann. of 'Larks...', which was before 'Starless...'?

Partly based on the comments in this thread, I'm torn between Red, Discipline and Larks as my second and final KC purchase. All so different, and shame that Red appears to be little improved over the previous remaster. The clincher may come when the results are out on Larks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back