King Crimson 40th Anniversary releases
Nov 23, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #46 of 100
I just wish they would go on regular tours rather than regular re-release/re-mixes!

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:22 PM Post #47 of 100

Quote:
Olias, you and I may be the biggest fans of Islands that there are on earth
biggrin.gif
  I so far have appreciated the improvement in sound that the 40th of Islands brings - but I have not been able to get myself to listen in 5.1 yet - I am afraid.  I've only played the hi-res stereo tracks.  I really need to get up the courage to listen to the multichannel mix.

You might just be right about that, Rob.
etysmile.gif

Anyway, I'm still strictly two-channel, so I too have been enjoying only half of the package (DVD-A and redbook) with these new releases. Would love to hear your impressions when you gather the courage to listen to the surround mixes.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:27 PM Post #48 of 100

Quote:
Quote:
I heard that some of the remixes were compressed and they even added some compression to the original mixes present on the DVD's. ITCOTCK does not seem to suffer from this. Anyone care to comment?

The only one I felt that was true of was Red.

I'm not sure if the issue with Red is compression, EQ, gens from the master or what, but IMO it's the least impressive of the new releases by a wide margin. The reason to buy the new version is found in the bonus tracks -- the trio version of "Red" and instrumental version of "Fallen Angel" are truly remarkable. I've always though Red was pre-81 Crimson's weakest effort from a lyrical standpoint, so hearing the brutal raw energy of "Fallen Angel" without the awkward lyrics is a huge plus for me.

Nov 23, 2010 at 9:35 PM Post #49 of 100
IIRC, and I will have to check, Red was only remastered for 5.1 - it's the only one that was not remastered for stereo.

Nov 29, 2010 at 6:01 PM Post #50 of 100
I just ordered 9 KC albums off of Burning shed: 
King Crimson - Beat (cd)
  King Crimson - Discipline (cd)
  king crimson - in the court of the crimson king 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - Islands - 40th Anniversary Edition (CD/DVDA)
  king crimson - lizard - 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - red - 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (cd)
  King Crimson - Thrak (cd)
  King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair (cd)

I've already owned Red, ToaPP, and ItCotCK, but I'm looking forward to the remasters and the DVD-A! 

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:40 AM Post #51 of 100

Quote:
I just ordered 9 KC albums off of Burning shed: 
King Crimson - Beat (cd)
  King Crimson - Discipline (cd)
  king crimson - in the court of the crimson king 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - Islands - 40th Anniversary Edition (CD/DVDA)
  king crimson - lizard - 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - red - 40th anniversary edition (cd/dvda)
  King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (cd)
  King Crimson - Thrak (cd)
  King Crimson - Three of a Perfect Pair (cd)

I've already owned Red, ToaPP, and ItCotCK, but I'm looking forward to the remasters and the DVD-A! 

You're in for some treats, as you no doubt know already! Having owned ToaPP, I'll be especially curious how much Discipline and Beat gt to you. And if you loved Red already, I would submit that you need Larks Tongues in Aspic, though it might be something you want to wait for availability of the 40th Anniversary edition.  And per Skylab's post above, I was wondering why Red didn't sound any better to me! (I've no means to play the 5.1 version). Oh well. At least it's interesting to have the video.

Nov 30, 2010 at 9:23 AM Post #52 of 100
That's a ton of great music coming your way, Logwed!

Personally, of the three early 80's KC records, my feeling is Discipline > TOAPP > Beat - but they are ALL really great.

Nov 30, 2010 at 12:59 PM Post #53 of 100

Quote:
You're in for some treats, as you no doubt know already! Having owned ToaPP, I'll be especially curious how much Discipline and Beat gt to you. And if you loved Red already, I would submit that you need Larks Tongues in Aspic, though it might be something you want to wait for availability of the 40th Anniversary edition.  

I already own Larks' Tongues, so we're good in that regard. I would definitely be interested in a remaster of it though.

I'm already salivating... Does anyone know how long shipping generally takes from the UK?

Nov 30, 2010 at 2:00 PM Post #54 of 100

Quote:
I already own Larks' Tongues, so we're good in that regard. I would definitely be interested in a remaster of it though.  
I'm already salivating... Does anyone know how long shipping generally takes from the UK?

My latest order from Burning Shed took exactly one week to travel from England to Colorado. Pretty impressive. There's always a certain degree of variation with international shipping, but Burning Shed has been very prompt with each order I've placed.

Dec 1, 2010 at 9:17 PM Post #55 of 100
Thanks for this thread, everyone. I had no idea King Crimson was so prolific. I've only listened to the "In the Court of the Crimson King" album. For some reason, I guessed their other work was hard to come by. Now that I know they're available fairly easily, I'll have to check out their discs.

Dec 18, 2010 at 7:31 PM Post #56 of 100
THEY CAME TODAY I'M SO EXCITED but right now I'm about to go skating and a movie, so they must wait for the early morning. Good thing that I woke up so late today...

I will report back in.

Dec 20, 2010 at 7:17 PM Post #57 of 100
As of now I've listened to the remaster of ItCotCK, Red (which is apparently un-remastered on the CD?), Discipline, Thrak, and Lizard (remaster, but I've never heard a different version).

In the Court: A tasteful remaster, I'd say. I'm not really familiar with exactly what the mastering process is, the extent of my understanding is that you basically just fine-tune the sound and balance. I feel like there's a more significant bass presence on a lot of the songs. On Epitaph the vocals are presented better, but still play second fiddle to the drums. Moonchild... I actually grew to rather like the meanderings and slow builds during the improv section, so it was a bit strange to me that they cut a bit of it. It's still good, and definitely nice and compact. I feel like there are a lot of parts of The Court of the Crimson King that were tweaked. There are a lot of keyboard parts that I literally had never heard before presented in the details. All-in-all it seems like a much better recording (less hiss?) with a balance artfully tweaked to make it a bit more musical than it already was.

Red didn't sound changed, as confirmed by reading this thread. Is the stereo version on the DVD remastered, though? 

Discipline. I really liked this album, particularly the front half. The last two songs I didn't care for as much, but I liked it as a whole. A much more interesting ToaPP, I'd say. I need some more listens on it, though.

Thrak was rocking pretty well, I liked it, but I don't feel like I know very much about it yet. 

Lizard was really rocking, I really like the use of the saxophone, and it's just a different look at King Crimson for me. Reading the liner notes surprised me, that Robert Fripp really didn't like this album for many years. The musical ideas are certainly different than previous and past albums (vaguely Zappa-esque?). I wonder how the original masters compare. More spins!

EDIT: HOLY COW THE TROMBONE ON HAPPY FAMILY IS SWEET. I must have been distracted on the first listen. As a trombone player, this really excites me...

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:00 AM Post #58 of 100
Ok, I've been listening to Islands: It has ups and downs for me, at some parts it's incredibly slow and uninteresting, and then in other sections I'm floored by the intensity. A bit bipolar.

Anywho, does anyone else hear piercing high distortion starting at about 6 minutes on Islands (the track), and then going until the stop of the song (before the long silence and tuning)?

Dec 21, 2010 at 12:50 AM Post #59 of 100

Quote:
Ok, I've been listening to Islands: It has ups and downs for me, at some parts it's incredibly slow and uninteresting, and then in other sections I'm floored by the intensity. A bit bipolar.

Anywho, does anyone else hear piercing high distortion starting at about 6 minutes on Islands (the track), and then going until the stop of the song (before the long silence and tuning)?

I've been meaning to bring this up, since at first I thought maybe I should just re rip it into itunes but the problem persisted on my CD player.  It's such an awesome part  in the track too until the loud buzzing ruins it. 

Dec 21, 2010 at 9:30 PM Post #60 of 100
Guys, I just double checked - I have no such problem with my 40th Anniversary Islands. The title track sounds killer, all the way through.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back