Kinera & Celest Audio - Discussion and Impressions Thread
Mar 5, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #46 of 52
Hi Everyone,

Today I became a proud owner of a Kinera URD. I do have one quick question though. Has anybody replaced the stock cable with anything else? Although the stock cable delivers good sound and is multiple termination, the material it's made out of could be better. Not sure if I want to replace it yet but it's nice to know what my options could be. For instance would the Kinera Ace 2 be a good option or would that not cut it?

Sorry, I thought I would ask the question again about the cable. Any resonable equivalent's to the stock cable that aren't made of plastic?

Mar 6, 2024 at 5:51 PM Post #47 of 52
Had some great hours listening to jazz and soul today with Kinera Verdandi, very holographic and slightly intimate soundstage. Gives Verdandi an romantic presentation on some music, female Vocals on soul is beautiful and engaging.

The tactile feel of the BC is addictive, not overdone. But changing over to a set without it makes me miss it in the bass.

Require quite deep fit for me to get the best sound out of Verdandi, without some of the BC effect is less noticable and sound overall is brighter.

1000028134.jpg

Mar 25, 2024 at 4:31 PM Post #48 of 52
IMG_4290.jpg

I have been a big fan of what Kinera have been producing of late. I reviewed Loki here before, still one of my favourites, and had the chance to demo their latest release “Verdandi” via an EU tour and their collaboration with Elise Audio, the “Dark Phoenix”.

The three IEMs span the price ranges from entry level with Dark Phoenix, mid tier with Verdandi and TOTL with Loki. There’s certainly some shared DNA noticeable across the 3 when comparing the sound but also in the stunning shell designs. All of them are beautiful in their own way and there it’s great to see no corners are being cut even at entry level.

I’ve spent a lot of time going back and forth between these three sets over the last two weeks but I don’t think my impressions have changed too much from first listen. You get a good idea of what Verdandi and Dark Phoenix are capable of out of the box. Loki needs a little more time to adjust to and appreciate its technical abilities.

Loki is a very detailed set which creates an expansive and layered soundstage. It is very accurate, and I really enjoy listening to acoustic instruments and vocals with it. Verdandi comes across as a smoother-sounding set that produces a very easy listen but at the cost of some of those technical abilities. Dark Phoenix reminds me a little of Verdandi, but it produces a fuller, more coloured and often more impactful listen.

I compared the three sets using the exact same chain to take any of those variabilities out of it. The chain was the Hiby RS8> Mass Kobo 475> Vortex Lavinia cable. My impressions are below.

artworks-000052025107-j318j1-t500x500.jpg

Bloom” - The Paper Kites

Loki

IMG_4289.jpg

The instruments in the intro sound accurate and detailed. They use double tracking for the vocals so when they enter you have clear and full vocals playing in each ear. It gives the sense of being right there beside the performer. Loki was made for tracks like this. There is depth and layers to tracks as backing singers, the person whistling and different instruments come and go and it is all presented with ease.

Verdandi

IMG_4288.jpg

Verdandi takes a more laid-back approach to the track. Transients are slower, and there isn’t the same note definition that you get with Loki. Loki has your full attention when listening to the track. It draws you in, and your attention keeps getting drawn to the different instruments and sounds as they enter. Verdandi presents the track in a more easy listening style. You can listen and enjoy the track in the background. All of the notes are smoother, and the vocals are softer. It is relaxing listening with Verdandi, whereas Loki has you sucked in and attentive to everything happening in the track.

Dark Phoenix

IMG_4287.jpg

Dark Phoenix leans more towards the engaging presentation of Loki than Verdandi’s. Instruments sound nice, but some of the higher notes from the strings, the whistling and the vocals are sharper and not as easy to listen to. It struggles a little with the layering of the track, too, during the busier parts, but remember, I am comparing it to a set that costs many times more. I listened to the track with some full copper cables I own, and they do a much better job with the high notes than the Lavinia and the stock cable that comes with Dark Phoenix.

10290520.jpeg

Jolene” - Dolly Parton

Loki

I love listening to this track with Loki. The instruments are spread out in the soundstage on the left and right in what feels like an arc from front to back on each side. The vocals are detailed and at the perfect level to allow you to hear them clearly and appreciate the different instruments as they take prominence in the track. This is something Loki excels at. All of the instruments step forward and take your attention at different times in their own distinct position and at just the right level while everything else remains perfectly audible.

Verdandi

When I swap to Verdandi, I find the guitars and drums to have a softer sound. They are not as clearly defined as they were with Loki, but still enjoyable to listen to. Vocals come forward a step, and some of the higher notes are more intense. The soundstage seems more intimate, with the instruments feeling closer to the sides of your head.

Dark Phoenix

Listening with Dark Phoenix, there is a warmer, more lush tone to the guitars, and the notes linger longer. Vocals are not as forward as with Verdandi. The positioning of each instrument is more clearly defined in the soundstage compared to Verdandi, where its smoother presentation kind of allowed the instruments to blend together a little. Dark Phoenix doesn’t have the detail levels or sense of space that Loki creates, as you would expect, given the price difference, but it is very enjoyable to listen to, and its technical abilities are far above what you would expect at this price point.

Hopefully, those impressions give you a sense of the sets. For my tastes, Loki and Dark Phoenix suit my library best, but Verdandi is a very nice set for its price. They are all beautifully finished, and overall, they represent very good value in their own price tiers.
What cable do you use with Loki?

Mar 26, 2024 at 4:35 AM Post #49 of 52
Mar 26, 2024 at 12:08 PM Post #51 of 52
Mar 26, 2024 at 3:43 PM Post #52 of 52

Users who are viewing this thread

Back