(Kinda) Portable vintage Headphones and (kinda) earbuds-''Best of'' LIST
Jan 27, 2018 at 7:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

NymPHONOmaniac

Headphoneus Supremus
Hi all,
when I consider a thread that should be make isn't really make....tadam! I'm here!

Now its about vintage headphones and earbuds, especially portable, so no 600ohm 70's headphones here, max should be about 150ohm so it can be used with a portable amp in must demanding case.

Goal is to make a REFERENCE LIST for the best vintage headphones out there, so if you see it in a thrifstore or on ebay etc, you'll go crazy to buy it at cheap price for the sound value it give.

When I see one, i'm must of time very clueless and it's more an esthetic buy than one for proper audio use, having test more than 10 pairs of vintage headphones, earbuds and ''wide band earbuds'' or clip headphones, its very rare that I get impress by sound it give.

One of the very big surprise was the PIONEER SE-L20 bought for like 5 bucks at a thrift store, these were looking incredible with the ultra retro-futurist-sci-fi look, and built was impressive and full of different material so I buy them proundly just for that....when I plug them in my Ibasso DX90 I was very positively overwhelmed by audio quality, especially for vocals presentation and soundstage, and i'm still is even if they aren't perfect they offer one of best warm and wide vocals performance I ever heard and I say this having own the TOTL Grado GS1000.

After this I try a clasic that still sold today: The KOSS PORTA PRO. Man, these are so good sounding and practical for the price.

And lately fall on a quirky 80's looking ''wide headbands earbuds'' the SONY MDR-W20G. This time it was for a buck that I buy them with very low attempt....and well, far from being bad they are better sounding than must of my 15 earbuds I own. Punchy, fast and immersive sound, little warm but with very good instrument separation. Fun and addictive soundsignature!

So, here is the place for SERIOUS suggestions of best sounding VINTAGE portable headphones etc, that can be still found for cheap must of time, and are 20 years old and more, 70's to 90's being the sweet spot for vintage gem. WIll collect your suggestions and create a ''best of'' list here. It can be any brand really, but Yamaha, Pioneer, Sennheiser, Sony, AKG, Koss and Stax are VERY welcome! If you give a sound description of your favorite vintage headphone I will include it in the list too!

ON-EAR DYNAMIC HEADPHONES:

-Pioneer SE-L20: Ultra wide and airy soundstage, mid centric with excellent vocal presentation, warm but deep bass, treble roll off but dynamic sound.
-Koss Porta-Pro: Warm punchy sound with good bass extension, airy vocal, textured and thick but very forgiving sound.
-AKG K171

ON-EAR ORTHODYNAMIC HEADPHONES:

-Yamaha HP-50A
-Yamaha HP2-HP3
-Yamaha YHD-3

CLOSED FULL_SIZE HEADPHONES:

-Koss Pro4AA(A)

OPEN BACK FULL SIZE HEADPHONES:

-Fostex T50RP

EARBUDS:

-Sony MDR E565
-Aiwa V88