Kinda feel like I am dissapointed with magni 2 + HD600
Jun 11, 2016 at 9:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

smy1

Headphoneus Supremus
I had my HD 600 for awhile now and upgraded it over from my fidelio X1 and kinda feel dissapointed. First off I feel like the soundstage is to narrow and small and i can't seem what I don't like about it. Maybe I think the clarity and detail isn't good enough, The mids are nice and that's what I like about the HD600. I am kinda broke right now but what would be a good upgrade to the HD600. I feel like I prefer my grados sr80e over the hd600 sometimes.

Btw I hook it up with my fiio dap

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #2 of 26
I had my HD 600 for awhile now and upgraded it over from my fidelio X1 and kinda feel dissapointed. First off I feel like the soundstage is to narrow and small and i can't seem what I don't like about it. Maybe I think the clarity and detail isn't good enough, The mids are nice and that's what I like about the HD600. I am kinda broke right now but what would be a good upgrade to the HD600. I feel like I prefer my grados sr80e over the hd600 sometimes.

Do you have the Magni 2 on high gain with the HD600? Gain switch is on the back.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:20 PM Post #3 of 26
Do you have the Magni 2 on high gain with the HD600? Gain switch is on the back.

Yes it's on high gain even though I feel like low gain is better

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #4 of 26
What DAC do you use? You might need a GeekOut V2 or something like that, because the HD600 impedance is 300 ohms and could use stronger data conversion processing.

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:27 PM Post #5 of 26
What DAC do you use? You might need a GeekOut V2 or something like that, because the HD600 impedance is 300 ohms and could use stronger data conversion processing.

I use my magni 2 to rca to aux to my fiio dap

Jun 11, 2016 at 9:57 PM Post #6 of 26
I use my magni 2 to rca to aux to my fiio dap

If you can, set your fiio DAP to "line-out", so that the fiio DAP headphones amp is bypassed. If you still don't like the sound, you will need a stronger amp, like the Matrix HPA-3B:

http://www.matrix-digi.com/en/products/77/index.html#page1

Jun 12, 2016 at 4:36 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

That's like saying a truck with a 2.8L I-4 engine would be better helped by a new ECU than by a new V8 turbodiesel. The load impedance only really matters to the amplifier (and used to be, higher impedance made for higher sensitivity), and the only way it will matter to the DAC indirectly is how the output level of the DAC will affect the overall output, but what directly interacts with this is the amp's gain anyway.

Jun 12, 2016 at 9:03 AM Post #8 of 26
That's like saying a truck with a 2.8L I-4 engine would be better helped by a new ECU than by a new V8 turbodiesel. The load impedance only really matters to the amplifier (and used to be, higher impedance made for higher sensitivity), and the only way it will matter to the DAC indirectly is how the output level of the DAC will affect the overall output, but what directly interacts with this is the amp's gain anyway.

I am speaking in electrical terms, not electrical-to-mechanical terms. Besides, electronic chip upgrades will improve on horsepower much more than torque, so I do not see the impedance analogy with analog output working on the race track or work field. :wink:

This is what extended circuit boards are for, which is to make more traces and allow data to move from one electrical part to another. Granted, bit rates are tougher to explain with audio data, but DACs still process data by frequency response, hence the more audible improvement by stronger electrical currents. Critical listening, or listening in general, does not require intense mechanics, which is why some people will shut their eyes when critically listening.

Jun 12, 2016 at 10:28 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

I am speaking in electrical terms, not electrical-to-mechanical terms. Besides, electronic chip upgrades will improve on horsepower much more than torque, so I do not see the impedance analogy with analog output working on the race track or work field.
wink.gif

Because if you're starting with a Japanese pick up truck with a 2.8L engine and your problem is that it can barely tow your boat, an ECU will barely make a dent in your problem with the max 25hp/25lb of torque it can give you, vs the prospect of either swapping in a V8 turbodiesel or just getting a new truck that actually has a V8 turbodiesel, which will have torque that is more than double the torque from the 2.8L.

Quote:

This is what extended circuit boards are for, which is to make more traces and allow data to move from one electrical part to another. Granted, bit rates are tougher to explain with audio data, but DACs still process data by frequency response, hence the more audible improvement by stronger electrical currents. Critical listening, or listening in general, does not require intense mechanics, which is why some people will shut their eyes when critically listening.

That doesn't explain anything. The 300ohms only really matters to the amp. Just because that's mechanical doesn't mean there's any non-mechanical issue with the DAC's frequency response that is directly affected by the headphone's impedance rather than by the headphone's response, in terms of the width as well as the curve.

Jun 12, 2016 at 11:52 AM Post #10 of 26
some reason Z review on 600hd sound demo sounds much better then my setup

Jun 12, 2016 at 12:07 PM Post #11 of 26

What?

The Magni 2 is plenty powerful. I get the impression that you prefer a different sound signature. Since you like your grados better than the senns, Id suggest trying the DT 880s or K702s.

Jun 12, 2016 at 1:24 PM Post #12 of 26

What?

The Magni 2 is plenty powerful. I get the impression that you prefer a different sound signature. Since you like your grados better than the senns, Id suggest trying the DT 880s or K702s.

What about the k7xx?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back