Kind of stuck in a hard place..
Nov 22, 2011 at 11:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

afobisme

500+ Head-Fier
So I broke the tube that holds the foam to my shure e500, which is basically the SE530/535... sent mine in to shure and they say it can't be fixed. This means, since I'm out of warranty, that I have to pay $240+shipping/tax to receive a new unit.

I'm kind of broke right now, so I'm considering selling the thing if I do get it replaced. How much does a new pair fetch? Is it even feasible? While I'll miss having a pair of superior sounding cans, I can't justify the cost.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:30 PM Post #2 of 8
If it is SE353 as replacement, I think you can expect to sell it for no less than $350.. IEM of good sound quality are far cheaper than the day of E500. You can expect to pay less than $200 and find an IEM that is just as good, if not better sounding than E500.

Nov 22, 2011 at 11:34 PM Post #4 of 8
Better, but not significantly better. They use the same drivers, but tuned differently so the SE535 is more balanced sounding with a little more detail.

Oh, you can also sell the broken E500 as it is in the for sale forum to those who are willing to reshell it.

Nov 23, 2011 at 8:47 AM Post #7 of 8
how much you think i could fetch? would probably be better to get the replacement and resell.

Not sure. But I would think you can probably get more by selling the replacement.

btrw, do you think someone could actually fix this unit? i mean, shure is unable to do it.. although it's only the case for the IEM driver...

The whole housing is mounted and glued together, so no one will be able to fix it. In fact, Shure doesn't actually fix it themselves even if it is in warranty. They will send you a new pair if it is in warranty, or they will ask you if you want to buy a replacement at discount price if it is out-of-warranty.

Nov 24, 2011 at 5:31 AM Post #8 of 8

Quote:
Not sure. But I would think you can probably get more by selling the replacement.
The whole housing is mounted and glued together, so no one will be able to fix it. In fact, Shure doesn't actually fix it themselves even if it is in warranty. They will send you a new pair if it is in warranty, or they will ask you if you want to buy a replacement at discount price if it is out-of-warranty.

yeah i was beginning to think that.. not sure if it's worth sending them $260. i think it might be better to find a pair of $200 IEMs.

selling the replacement won't net me much - i'd be lucky to get $350 for it. If I get lucky on ebay, it would have to sell for $400 for me to recoup $350. $350 - $260 = $90

Users who are viewing this thread

Back