Kim Jong Il is dead...
Dec 19, 2011 at 12:22 PM Post #16 of 66
 Hopefully North Koreans can finally lead a normal, un-opressed life. I really hope that this succession goes right, and the new leader isn't like his pre-decessor .

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:36 PM Post #17 of 66
Hello, power vacuum!

This could cause a lot of instability in the country if succession goes wrong.

This is not good in a country that possesses nuclear weapons.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:41 PM Post #18 of 66

Quote:
Hello, power vacuum!
This could cause a lot of instability in the country if succession goes wrong.
This is not good in a country that possesses nuclear weapons.

I really hope their not stupid enough to use it.

Dec 19, 2011 at 12:46 PM Post #19 of 66
If I said something bad about Kim in this thread, I'd get scared, because I know there will be hundreds of North Korean soldiers in my room tomorrow.

So I'll just say.. Communism never dies :frowning2:

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:06 PM Post #20 of 66
Quote:
Che Guevarra is one of the few men I admire the most, and he too was a communist himself. If a man like him had risen as the leader of North Korea things would have been very different... (sigh)

Yeah, things would have been even worse than they are already.  Even a brief foray into military history (written by people who actually were engaged in the relevant conflicts from the intelligence or military sides), as well as interviews with Cuban refugees and political prisoners (before they were tortured and killed by Che and his death squads) makes you wonder if he and Uday Hussein were pen pals.  At least Kim Jong-il and Kim Il-sung were competent enough to keep the country together.  I doubt Che could have kept an oppressed country together for 6 months, even with complete military control, given how the CIA decided not to assassinate Che due to his incompetence.  Everything he touched failed miserably, which even his own comrades were well-aware of, and led to him being placed in successively marginal roles.  And yes, I've read the interviews with North Koreans who have fled to China and Russia to escape the regime, despite what it certainly meant for family and relatives left behind.

Quote:
"When you saw the beaming look on Che's face as the victims were tied to the stake and blasted apart by the firing squad," said a former Cuban political prisoner Roberto Martin-Perez, to your humble servant here, "you saw there was something seriously, seriously wrong with Che Guevara." As commander of the La Cabana execution yard, Che often shattered the skull of the condemned man (or boy) by firing the coup de grace himself. When other duties tore him away from his beloved execution yard, he consoled himself by viewing the slaughter. Che's second-story office in Havana’s La Cabana prison had a section of wall torn out so he could watch his darling firing-squads at work.
The Spanish word vencido, by the way, translates into "defeated" or "surrendered."And indeed, "the "acrid odor of gunpowder and blood" very, very rarely reached Guevara's nostrils from anything properly describable as combat. It mostly came from the close-range murders of defenseless men (and boys.) Carlos Machado was 15 years old in 1963 when the bullets from the firing squad shattered his body. His twin brother and father collapsed beside Carlos from the same volley. All had resisted Castro and Che's theft of their humble family farm, all refused blindfolds and all died sneering at their Communist murderers, as did thousands of their valiant countrymen. "Viva Cuba Libre! Viva Cristo Rey! Abajo Comunismo!" "The defiant yells would make the walls of La Cabana prison tremble," wrote eyewitness to the slaughter, Armando Valladares.
"You hate to laugh at anything associated with Che, who murdered so many defenseless men and boys," says Felix Rodriguez, the Cuban-American CIA officer who played a key role in tracking him down in Bolivia. "But when it comes to Che as "guerrilla" you simply can't help but guffaw."

The Koreans I know (from having spent time in Korea, working with immigrants and H1Bs), as well as conversations with missionaries who have spent many years in Korea, seemed to indicate that South Koreans dislike the regime and government, but don't harbor an animosity towards the people.  There are certain racial groups Koreans are much more negative towards (but nothing out of the ordinary for East Asia for people intimately familiar with the cultures).

If the North Koreans are lucky, Kim Jong-un and Chang Sung-taek will take control.  The worst possible scenario for the people, as bad as it is already, is if the military takes control of the country.  People often suffer far worse in countries run by generals and armies, and the behavior would only be worse for North Korea, as the media black hole would only embolden the military heads.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:34 PM Post #26 of 66
Things may get exponentially worse. Kim's beloved little son is a crazier version of his dad...

thing is he was promoted to 4 star general by his father and.... he has no military experience whatsoever! i can see some stupid stuff happening now.

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:53 PM Post #29 of 66
This is relevant

Users who are viewing this thread

Back