Kilts? I'm unconvinced.
Oct 31, 2011 at 10:39 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

slyjoker87

New Head-Fier
So, I was having a debate with my girlfriend last night about dudes wearing kilts. I think that, aside from traditional scottish garb, kilts are probably too riské in most societies. For instance, there are a few companies which make contemporary kilts (UtiliKilt, USA Kilts, etc.) but are these really anything but skirts for men? Isn't this just bending gender norms?

I'm unconvinced that these modern kilts are justified as men's attire. What say you?

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #2 of 19
I'm perfectly fine seeing these are men's attire, but that's only because it's been a part of Scottish men fashion for quite a while. I'm one of those who also wears women jackets because they don't come in men sizes.

Oct 31, 2011 at 12:40 PM Post #3 of 19

Quote:
I'm perfectly fine seeing these are men's attire, but that's only because it's been a part of Scottish men fashion for quite a while. I'm one of those who also wears women jackets because they don't come in men sizes.

Right, but I'm talking more about the modern kilts that are not tartan. I can understand getting away with wearing a woman's jacket because it may be indistinguishable and better cut. However, a kilt is a skirt-like piece of clothing that you can't mistake. 

Oct 31, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4 of 19
I usually see quite a few of these whenever I go to an event in San Francisco.  I can't tell you if that means they're legitimately catching on or not though.

Oct 31, 2011 at 5:07 PM Post #5 of 19
kilts are quite different from skirts, for one they weigh a ton. 

are the justified as everyday wear? well here (edinburgh) no they really are just for very formal occasions, Senior Dance and weddings mostly.  i dont see any reason why you couldnt wear them everyday other than procticality.  i bet your girlfriend wears trousers rather than skirts, ask her why.  wearing a kilt is a pain, you have to remeber to sweep it under you to sit down and the obvious akwardness in going to pee never mind the other.

Oct 31, 2011 at 6:09 PM Post #6 of 19

Quote:
kilts are quite different from skirts, for one they weigh a ton. 

are the justified as everyday wear? well here (edinburgh) no they really are just for very formal occasions, Senior Dance and weddings mostly.  i dont see any reason why you couldnt wear them everyday other than procticality.  i bet your girlfriend wears trousers rather than skirts, ask her why.  wearing a kilt is a pain, you have to remeber to sweep it under you to sit down and the obvious akwardness in going to pee never mind the other.

I think the counter here is that skirts and kilts actually accomodate mens' anatomy better because they are less restrictive in the crotch. I can't count the number of times that I have come home and taken off my pants because I'm tired of my crotch being squished. Maybe the bigger issue is why society believes that skirts should only be for women.

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:36 AM Post #7 of 19

Quote:
 I can't count the number of times that I have come home and taken off my pants because I'm tired of my crotch being squished.

You need a better tailor.

Nov 1, 2011 at 12:33 PM Post #8 of 19
I think the counter here is that skirts and kilts actually accomodate mens' anatomy better because they are less restrictive in the crotch. I can't count the number of times that I have come home and taken off my pants because I'm tired of my crotch being squished. Maybe the bigger issue is why society believes that skirts should only be for women.

While that last sentence is a good topic to discuss, at the same time, I wonder what kind of pants do you wear?

Nov 1, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #9 of 19
Kilts are awesome. I'd wear one often if it didn't mean freezing my nuts off in the Cold Scottish Wind.

Modern leather kilts and the like?

Ghastly awful things.

Nov 2, 2011 at 5:01 AM Post #11 of 19
Kilts are fine for Scots.

But I wear the traditional garb for my homeland: t-shirts, shorts and sandals.

I am a third generation Los Angeles native.

Nov 4, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #12 of 19

Quote:

You could try trousers/jeans with a codpiece instead of a fly.

Nov 5, 2011 at 1:27 AM Post #14 of 19
I've seen guys in Utilikilts at craft shows and such and they seem pretty comfortable, nothing effeminate (if that's the implication) about it.

Nov 5, 2011 at 4:54 AM Post #15 of 19
No, nothing effeminate about them. But you really should have the heritage to wear a kilt.

My blood is from England and Ireland - I wouldn't feel comfortable.

Though the Swede in me greatly enjoys aquavit and, yes, I will eat lutefisk. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back