Kilobuck IEMs?
Mar 29, 2023 at 7:38 PM Post #2 of 15
I have both the Shure SE846 and Sennheiser IE900. You can get the IE900 used for under $1000. I find the SE846 very good but the IE900 better.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 15
Does anybody have any recommendations for IEMs around the $1000 price bracket? Including upcoming IEMs?

Most importantly, what type of music do you listen to?

And are you as basshead, treblehead, neutralhead etc?

It is best to know your preferences before burning 1K on an IEM that might be a polar opposite to what you prefer.

Mar 30, 2023 at 12:32 PM Post #5 of 15
Most importantly, what type of music do you listen to?

And are you as basshead, treblehead, neutralhead etc?

It is best to know your preferences before burning 1K on an IEM that might be a polar opposite to what you prefer.
TBH, I'm kind of looking for an all-rounder IEM. I tend to listen to a lot of soundtracks, thrash metal, post-rock, and occasionally dark ambient music. My preferred sound signature is a neutral-ish, slight V-shape. My current daily driver is the Fiio FH7, and while it's tuning can be a little uneven with certain tracks, I've found it plays well overall with my library. It does have a bit of a dip in the upper-mids, but that's never bothered me as much as it seems to bother other people.

And I admit I do love me some sparkly, zesty treble. Something that the FH7s are sort of lacking in.

Apr 1, 2023 at 12:10 PM Post #6 of 15
TBH, I'm kind of looking for an all-rounder IEM. I tend to listen to a lot of soundtracks, thrash metal, post-rock, and occasionally dark ambient music. My preferred sound signature is a neutral-ish, slight V-shape. My current daily driver is the Fiio FH7, and while it's tuning can be a little uneven with certain tracks, I've found it plays well overall with my library. It does have a bit of a dip in the upper-mids, but that's never bothered me as much as it seems to bother other people.

And I admit I do love me some sparkly, zesty treble. Something that the FH7s are sort of lacking in.
If you can buy used, and they fit in your ears then IER-Z1R could be what you're looking for, slight v shape with some of the best bass in any IEM at any price, and also great treble extension (though it can get harsh if proper seal is not achieved)

Apr 2, 2023 at 3:56 PM Post #7 of 15
If you can buy used, and they fit in your ears then IER-Z1R could be what you're looking for, slight v shape with some of the best bass in any IEM at any price, and also great treble extension (though it can get harsh if proper seal is not achieved)
Thanks for the recommendation!

I actually made a post regarding my demo of the Z1Rs here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-mids-not-what-you-think.967503/

Long story short, I loved everything about them except for some weird, veiled, mushiness in the mid-range (as opposed to thinness or hollowness). Granted, I may have simply had a defective unit.

Apr 2, 2023 at 4:37 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks for the recommendation!

I actually made a post regarding my demo of the Z1Rs here:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-ier-z1r-mids-not-what-you-think.967503/

Long story short, I loved everything about them except for some weird, veiled, mushiness in the mid-range (as opposed to thinness or hollowness). Granted, I may have simply had a defective unit.
I find the Z1R very clear, well separated and detailed in the midrange, but volume wise it is a bit recessed, which, I believe, also contributes to the vast and deep soundstage.
What did you use for source? The Z1R really benefits from a good source, and it should definitely not sound veiled and mushy.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #10 of 15
Recently experienced Campfire Audio's offerings and tbh i'd suggest to stay away from them unless you are interested in listening one specific genre and one specific IEM for that.

Have tried Sennheiser IE 600 and 900 in the store with Final Audio E tips and timbre was off so but comfort was top notch.

Had Xelentos in the past they had no flaws for me but fit was hurting my left ear so sold it. Since i like the physicality of Headphones, i just have my Airpods Pro for convenience, they sound better than ones i mentioned above tho.

So this is an entry about "my" unlucky IEM journey and might save you from wasting your hard earned money. Always audition before spending that kind of money and never buy from anywhere where you cant return.

Apr 3, 2023 at 9:59 AM Post #11 of 15
If you like a very sparkly treble and a neutral-ish, slight V sound I think it is worth looking into older, pre 2020 Campfire Andromeda. If you prefer something more neutral I would recommend looking into the Pears SH3. Some of the best mids I've heard in an iem and a clear step above any iem at that price point in that department for me.

Apr 3, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #12 of 15
I’ve heard very positive comments on the treble of the aur audio neon pro. I hope to demo them at next canjam, but you may want to investigate them. I liked the monarch mk2 quite a bit, but went with a similar tribrid, the Yanyin moonlight, based on shell size.

Another iem I haven’t had the chance to try but have heard great things about the treble is the anole vx. Sorry I couldn’t give first hand impressions!

Apr 4, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #13 of 15
I just got the Noble Kadence for slightly over $1k open box. They took a bit for me to warm up to but now I am hooked. They make my SE846 sound congested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back