kilobuck+ IEM recommendations
Jul 15, 2021 at 10:52 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Euphorics

New Head-Fier
Hey everyone long time lurker on the forums. I was looking to get into my first pair of TOTL IEMs. I think my main preference is a V to slight V shape with solid upper bass solid mids and decent treble extension. I exclusively listen to House/Techno genre's. Through some research, I've limited it down to:

• Unique Melody MEST MK2
  • CA Dorado 2020
  • EE Legend X SE

Also, it seems I really want/like the odin signature but 3k+ is way too much for me so would the Legend X SE be a better alternative or the other two mentioned for the money. Any other recs would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jul 15, 2021 at 11:48 PM Post #2 of 13
If you primarily listen to EDM get the IER-Z1R.

(or at least see if it fits) :)

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 12:19 AM Post #3 of 13
If you primarily listen to EDM get the IER-Z1R.

(or at least see if it fits) :)

Thanks for the rec! It seems like the IER-Z1R is highly lauded everywhere and admittedly, I've been avoiding its glowing reviews due to higher impedance and fit/weight. I'm really adverse to a dap and prefer an dac/amp for mobile use. Regardless what would be a great pairing for it?

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #4 of 13
Nice list @Euphorics, I'm doing the same hunt at the moment and my list is roughly the same. What iems are you coming from? Curious to hear your progression.

My first venture beyond my Shure 215's was the Shozy Neo BG and the left unit just died. Felt like major upgrade at the time, but I got better cables, tips and an iDSD Signature and now I know too much. I tried ISN H40's because I thought hybrid might scratch the bass itch, but they're too big for my ears (really hurt) and the bass was actually not what I was looking for.

Something I could wear all day under $1,200 would be ideal - stretch to $1,500 if it's a bullseye.

Would love input from the experts in this forum that have tried/seen it all!

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:38 AM Post #5 of 13
Thanks for the rec! It seems like the IER-Z1R is highly lauded everywhere and admittedly, I've been avoiding its glowing reviews due to higher impedance and fit/weight. I'm really adverse to a dap and prefer an dac/amp for mobile use. Regardless what would be a great pairing for it?
Yes, well that’s just the thing. The IER-Z1R is good but fairly standard from a phone, or something low powered. Though after getting it set up from a DAP it does come alive. There are probably other ways to get them more power but I use the 1A/1Z DAPs.

It’s just a suggestion really.....due to how good they do EDM. There are obstacles in the way possibly......with the fit and need of a DAP to power them. Still........at least maybe somehow give them a try, at least.....so you know what your missing?

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:41 AM Post #6 of 13
I can confirm that an L&P W2 pairs extremely well with a Sony IER-Z1R.

I think you would be good with either the Z1R or LX SE.

Jul 16, 2021 at 1:54 AM Post #7 of 13
Nice list @Euphorics, I'm doing the same hunt at the moment and my list is roughly the same. What iems are you coming from? Curious to hear your progression.

My first venture beyond my Shure 215's was the Shozy Neo BG and the left unit just died. Felt like major upgrade at the time, but I got better cables, tips and an iDSD Signature and now I know too much. I tried ISN H40's because I thought hybrid might scratch the bass itch, but they're too big for my ears (really hurt) and the bass was actually not what I was looking for.

Something I could wear all day under $1,200 would be ideal - stretch to $1,500 if it's a bullseye.

Would love input from the experts in this forum that have tried/seen it all!

Hey @zheadphones thanks. I'm fresh into the iem space so I haven't had the opportunity to try anything really. Around a few years ago, everyone was raving over the BLON BL-03's and picked a pair up(ridiculously cheap) and was my first intro to ChiFi but I've mainly stayed into the studio monitor/headphone space. However, I just cant get over how much i've been using my iems(BL-03, OG Galaxy Buds) and I find myself using them far more through out my day than my headphones and studio monitors. So I'm hoping to make that leap here soon with a new pair!

Yes, well that’s just the thing. The IER-Z1R is good but fairly standard from a phone, or something low powered. Though after getting it set up from a DAP it does come alive. There are probably other ways to get them more power but I use the 1A/1Z DAPs.

It’s just a suggestion really.....due to how good they do EDM. There are obstacles in the way possibly......with the fit and need of a DAP to power them. Still........at least maybe somehow give them a try, at least.....so you know what your missing?

hmm... I'll take a look at the 1a/1z daps. I've been hearing great things about that Ibasso DX300. Wondering if that would a good pairing but so far haven't seen many talk about that with the z1r... Thanks again for the rec!

I can confirm that an L&P W2 pairs extremely well with a Sony IER-Z1R.

I think you would be good with either the Z1R or LX SE.

You read my mind @HiFiHawaii808 ! regardless I was planning on getting the L&P W2 with whichever iem I was going to get. I hear its amazing but if I'm forced to buy a dap to really get the best of any iem I purchase then this may have to take a backseat and I just use my Qudelix 5k for on the go...

Jul 16, 2021 at 2:08 AM Post #8 of 13
Hey @zheadphones thanks. I'm fresh into the iem space so I haven't had the opportunity to try anything really. Around a few years ago, everyone was raving over the BLON BL-03's and picked a pair up(ridiculously cheap) and was my first intro to ChiFi but I've mainly stayed into the studio monitor/headphone space. However, I just cant get over how much i've been using my iems(BL-03, OG Galaxy Buds) and I find myself using them far more through out my day than my headphones and studio monitors. So I'm hoping to make that leap here soon with a new pair!

hmm... I'll take a look at the 1a/1z daps. I've been hearing great things about that Ibasso DX300. Wondering if that would a good pairing but so far haven't seen many talk about that with the z1r... Thanks again for the rec!

You read my mind @HiFiHawaii808 ! regardless I was planning on getting the L&P W2 with whichever iem I was going to get. I hear its amazing but if I'm forced to buy a dap to really get the best of any iem I purchase then this may have to take a backseat and I just use my Qudelix 5k for on the go...
@whitiger did have the combo.

Jul 16, 2021 at 11:52 AM Post #11 of 13
After a lot of reading I pulled the trigger on MEST Mk2's. Not sure when they'll ship, but I'll let you know how they compare to things I've been listening to.

+1 Thanks and congrats on the new purchase. I'm sure whatever we choose in this range of great products will be great. Def gotta let me know!

Why not consider the ie900 as well? Fits exactly what you're looking for, I'd argue as good or better than the stuff on your list, and ships quickly with good warranty etc.

Thanks labbed. I actually was super excited for the IE-900 as I'm a huge fan of sennheiser(own 5 of their headphones) and was looking for exactly this. However, through research I havent really seen glowing reviews for it. Most youtube reviews seem to have a meh its okay to good impression and it seems to have a like it or hate it response so far. Do you own a pair yourself? Most people don't even have it as a top 20 iem and would you be able to say its as good if not better than a z1r? I'd love your input!

Last edited:
Jul 16, 2021 at 2:16 PM Post #12 of 13
Thanks labbed. I actually was super excited for the IE-900 as I'm a huge fan of sennheiser(own 5 of their headphones) and was looking for exactly this. However, through research I havent really seen glowing reviews for it. Most youtube reviews seem to have a meh its okay to good impression and it seems to have a like it or hate it response so far. Do you own a pair yourself? Most people don't even have it as a top 20 iem and would you be able to say its as good if not better than a z1r? I'd love your input!
Weirdly enough I've only seen glowing reviews of it from any of the guys I've watched/talked to. I'm a DD kinda guy which really helps. They're one of my favorite IEMs ever probably, and the more time I spend with them the more blown away I am. I don't really like any of the TOTL Sony IEMs honestly, so I can't objectively say these are better since I'm biased, but I do prefer them. I'm also a huge Sennheiser fan (having owned most of their audiophile products and tried all? of them), I can confidently say these are my favorite Sennheiser product hands down.

Based on the stuff you're interested in though, I genuinely think these might be your ideal set of IEMs. If you get a chance to try them, do!

Jul 19, 2021 at 2:24 PM Post #13 of 13
Congrats on the MK2s. I had the OG MEST and they sounded great for EDM. The bass hit deep without sounding bloated.

If it were me I would have tried to get the Z1R, LX, and MK2 to see which one I liked more. The negative things I have heard about each (I have no experience with any of them):

Z1R - some cannot get a comfortable fit, painful to use
LX - too much bass in some cases
MK2 - less bass than the MEST

Of course, you'll have to see how each one sounds to your ears and pick the one YOU like the best.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back