killer static!
Oct 22, 2009 at 7:29 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

achow

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, i wonder if you guys can sort this out for me.

I have a computer --> Little Dot MKII --> Senn HD650 set up going on

There is always this annoying static that is there.

This static is there with or without music playing (with the music is on, the static is less noticeable due to the music)

I noticed that when the base drum is being hit, the static is the worst. it's like listening to a badly tuned radio.

I have been tighting up cable everywhere and noticed that there is no static when i plug the Senns directly into the source.

I have tried using ZY cables to go from source to Dot to phones (both with ZY)

I have tried the stock cables. i just can't figure out what is going on.

The only thing i can think of is a poor source. but even if i play CD's on the computer the static is still present. and something else that turns me away from this reason (unclean source) is that the static seem to go away when i plug it straight into the computer.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

thanks

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #2 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by achow /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey guys, i wonder if you guys can sort this out for me.

I have a computer --> Little Dot MKII --> Senn HD650 set up going on

There is always this annoying static that is there.

This static is there with or without music playing (with the music is on, the static is less noticeable due to the music)

I noticed that when the base drum is being hit, the static is the worst. it's like listening to a badly tuned radio.

I have been tighting up cable everywhere and noticed that there is no static when i plug the Senns directly into the source.

I have tried using ZY cables to go from source to Dot to phones (both with ZY)

I have tried the stock cables. i just can't figure out what is going on.

The only thing i can think of is a poor source. but even if i play CD's on the computer the static is still present. and something else that turns me away from this reason (unclean source) is that the static seem to go away when i plug it straight into the computer.

Any help on this matter would be much appreciated.

thanks

That's a little contradictory what you are saying about your source. Could you clarify a little?

Oct 22, 2009 at 11:48 PM Post #5 of 15
That could be because the computer can't drive the headphones. It doesn't matter if you play digital files or a CD on your computer, the computer's sound card is still the source. You have a noisy computer and the Little Dot amplifies the noise. You probably need an external DAC.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #6 of 15
Is this a laptop? I had a similar issue a while ago with older home theater amp and a laptop. The static was only present when it was plugged in [power]. A ground loop isolator fixed my problem.

OR

It could be a noisy onboard audio/sound card.

OR

Your amp be experiencing problems. Does this happen with any other inputs besides the computer?

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:01 AM Post #7 of 15
if its a really course sounding buzzing it could have something to do with the grounding scheme of the little dot MKII.
Try putting your finger on a screw and the case and see if that fixes it. (if it does im sure someone can help you)

Oct 23, 2009 at 1:53 AM Post #8 of 15
Im am guessing ground issues too.
Some LD models were having ground loop problems, you could see their website/forum or see if someone here has a solution. If all fails, you can always email david. He is always willing to help.

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrewe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a little contradictory what you are saying about your source. Could you clarify a little?

er, yes sorry about this.

"The only thing i can think of is a poor source." this is referring to mp3 file while the other "source" i meant sound card (computer)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ilovebeef /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wait so, when you have it plugged into your amp, the static is present.
When not using the amp, it's gone.

HOW DOES I DEDUCT

yes, the problem is as you rephrased

Quote:

Originally Posted by scompton /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That could be because the computer can't drive the headphones. It doesn't matter if you play digital files or a CD on your computer, the computer's sound card is still the source. You have a noisy computer and the Little Dot amplifies the noise. You probably need an external DAC.

can you briefly explain what a DAC does? as i understands it, a DAC is basically making the digital signal better. Assuming i have a clean mp3 file, am i using the DAC as a way to by pass the below par sound card?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheKisho /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is this a laptop? I had a similar issue a while ago with older home theater amp and a laptop. The static was only present when it was plugged in [power]. A ground loop isolator fixed my problem.

OR

It could be a noisy onboard audio/sound card.

OR

Your amp be experiencing problems. Does this happen with any other inputs besides the computer?

Yes, it is a lap top. the sound card is definitely a suspect here. I've only tried it with my phone (which i use as an MP3 player) and the static is less noticeable but not completely clean.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrGreen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if its a really course sounding buzzing it could have something to do with the grounding scheme of the little dot MKII.
Try putting your finger on a screw and the case and see if that fixes it. (if it does im sure someone can help you)

hm, the buzz is quite course when there is nothing playing. I will try the finger on screw thing when i get home today.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stitch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Im am guessing ground issues too.
Some LD models were having ground loop problems, you could see their website/forum or see if someone here has a solution. If all fails, you can always email david. He is always willing to help.

Oh, really. that is really great customer service. thanks for giving me the heads up

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS! i will update as i experiment more

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:47 AM Post #10 of 15
A DAC is a Digital to Analog Converter. There's one on your sound card and you can get external ones, which can be an external sound card. They can be much more elaborate too.

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:28 PM Post #13 of 15
To elaborate on scompton's definition, a DAC is an alternate output that bypasses your sound card entirely. If the noise source is your card, then this will eliminate it.

Have you tried plugging your little dot into a stand alone CD/DVD player so see if the noise is still present?

Oct 23, 2009 at 12:46 PM Post #14 of 15
I have a similar problem with my LD1+/V-dac plugged into my main pc.But it is fine when plugged into my netbook. It must be something to do with all the other stuff plugged into the main pc ,printers,scanners,etc.I must admit it is hard to ignore when you know it's there.
confused_face.gif

Oct 23, 2009 at 3:01 PM Post #15 of 15
On the bright side: You will apreciate it more when you got it 'cleaned'
smily_headphones1.gif

Try plugging the amp into a dedicated source, a receiver or a cd player. If its gone, the pc is evil-doer. If not, its most probably a ground issue
edit, missed moogoob's reply on this...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back