Killer midrange
Mar 10, 2010 at 12:39 AM Post #31 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif
boy. talk about "careful what you ask for."

i might be somewhat of a noob myself. but in my short time at head-fi i've grown weary of reading post after post of someone asking for a "great headphones for xyz", and then reading a dozen responses (at least) listing headphones that are not only discontinued, but dreadfully hard to find and costly.

is it really a case of the k1000 being the best at mid-range? or is it something more intangible? something to do with elite status?
wink.gif

hey, OP, good luck finding the MDR-R10 that about eight people have put on the top of their lists! oh, and btw, be prepared to pay at least 4 grand for it.
redface.gif

maybe you should sell your honda accord and put the cash in a drawer until a pair shows up on ebay or something.
biggrin.gif

hazmat suit is on.

Hey, he asked for the best didn't he?

Mar 10, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #32 of 35
Based on my impressions from the Boston meet and my personal stash:

the O2 has definitely fantastic midrange. (of course I've only listened to a O2, 404, and 404LE) but when paired with the BH I had a great time listening to it, and I think instrument separation was the first thing that jumped out at me. This could have something to do with better emphasis on mid-highs. On the other end with the WES, I found with some better emphasis on mid-low and loved the impact out of both the O2 and 404LE. I wish I had spent more time on Nate's BH though, I was really enjoying the CD J Pak had put in there...

I would agree the R10 has a very sweet, syrupy midrange, with strong emphasis on bass (this compared to the CD3000 which has strong upper mid-range, and definitely piercing highs.) However I would say that the R10 slouches a little on the tops when compared to the CD3000. I don't know if this is a fair comparison, but these were top Sonys at one point in time, about the same time. This was on both the Gilmore and 307A amps I used.

Mar 10, 2010 at 10:58 AM Post #33 of 35
From the cans I've owned: HD800 and HE-5. HD650 would be in the tier just below.

Mar 12, 2010 at 11:03 AM Post #35 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWuss /img/forum/go_quote.gif

hey, OP, good luck finding the MDR-R10 that about eight people have put on the top of their lists! oh, and btw, be prepared to pay at least 4 grand for it.
redface.gif

I will take 2 sets of R 10 for $4000.00 Expect to pay over $7000.00.

PS. you need a great source and amp. before you get the "too die for" anything,,.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back