Kids and mobile phones
Jun 17, 2009 at 10:58 AM Post #46 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by beerguy0 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Four seventeen year-old girls were killed not far from where I live last year, just before their graduation. They were the first of two cars heading for a girls weekend. The driver sent a text message to the girls in the other car, and seconds later swerved across the center line and went head on with an 18 wheeler. All four were killed instantly.

This whole texting/yakking on cell phones/nursing babies while driving has totally gotten out of hand. Of course, if the stupid ones weed themselves out, we all may be better off. Unfortunately, all too often others pay the price, like the 25 people on that train in L.A.

There is no one set of rules for every given situation, and, there will never be a shortage of stupid people.

Thats Life.

Jun 17, 2009 at 11:32 AM Post #47 of 51
Quote:

there will never be a shortage of stupid people.

I couldn't have said it better.
It only bothers me that I (and every one of us) must have done very dumb things as well without knowing it.
Only we just realise it most of the time
wink.gif

Jun 17, 2009 at 2:20 PM Post #48 of 51
I can understand why parents give their kids phones, I'd say by middle school it's a good idea to have one. Since I pretty much grew up with cell phones around (I'm 20) I have that 'you should be able to reach everybody 24/7' mindset. I also don't think it's too unreasonable for kids to have ipods or MP3 players, they have birthdays and there's always christmas. I think buying one for them for no reason or replacing it more then once if they keep losing them is stupid though. As for driving and texting, I'm guilty of texting, twittering and updating my facebook status while at red lights or trapped in traffic, I also make and answer calls while driving if I have to.

Jun 17, 2009 at 3:21 PM Post #49 of 51
I don't have a texting plan so that's not an issue for me. What I do have is a car stereo with bluetooth so that incoming calls are automatically routed through it. I never have to mess with the phone itself as it stays in my pocket where it should be.

This stereo was only $115 a year and a half ago so it's not like it's an expensive upgrade.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:05 PM Post #51 of 51
Young children really have no need for a cell phone. Frankly neither do teenagers. Education and physical fun should be their main focus.

However, since the technology isn't going away any time soon, it would be prudent to provide one with parental control abilities like the Firefly.

Given the current economy, these are more appropriate combination tools that can ease parents' minds and still allow kids to have cool toys and save on money on multiple gadgets. Phone, camera, music ... they lose it, and its gone until they are more mature.

I would never give my 8 year old a cell phone but I might my 13 year old, and I certainly would be watching to see how responsibly they handle it.

I abore anyone at any age who talks and drives. C'mon people! With over 300 million people in the USA, you really think the odds are better that even 20 years ago?

I was rear-ended by a middle-aged man on major highway who "didn't see me" because he was talking on his cell. He walked up to my window to ask if I was alright and then promptly told me he just got his truck back from the shop two days ago from a previous accident. I was out of work for four months and lost my job. Anyone guess where I wanted to put his cell phone??

Users who are viewing this thread

Back