Kids and mobile phones
Apr 24, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #31 of 51
I must admit, I am as bad... I use 3G on my phone alot, and I have almost walked in to people a few times... I didn't get a mobile phone until I was in secondary school, an old Nokia 3210 passed down... Next was a passed down SE T630, then a brand new SE K750i, now a second hand Nokia E61... I never used to spend more than £5 credit in a month, normally it would last 2/3, maybe four!

Now I'm on a free mobile network, and dont get as many adverts as I should. £15 a month for pretty much nothing
biggrin.gif
- + an O2 iphone sim with 12 months free 3G. O2 still havent ended the bolt-on yet even though it isnt in an iphone... Can't beat it, hassle having two sims though.

Matt

Apr 25, 2009 at 12:41 AM Post #32 of 51
Also not to forget the damage from the radiowaves for connectivity of cell phones are unknown yet. But from what I know, researchers have said damage could be done to the brain.

Apr 25, 2009 at 6:30 AM Post #33 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Also not to forget the damage from the radiowaves for connectivity of cell phones are unknown yet. But from what I know, researchers have said damage could be done to the brain.

Actually there have been at least a couple studies about the effects of cell phones. The studies show that talking on a cell phone dramatically increases the chances of getting brain tumors. The studies also say that it does more damage to talk than text (with the phone held at arms length as opposed to against the head), and also does much more damage the earlier kids begin to use them. I have a cell phone, and I understand that they are beginning more and more to seem like a necessary part of life, but I remember a time not that long ago (6 years or so) when my mother was the only person in my family with a cell (for work purposes) and asked people not to call her, and not long before that my dad was the only one who could be reached through his work pager (whats that?
confused.gif
) This idea that we need to be connected to and rechable by everyone at all times is rather new (within my lifetime) and I don't think its doing much good for people.

Apr 25, 2009 at 8:47 AM Post #34 of 51
It's definietly bad for work purposes, one of the work mates gave mobile number and they were ringing him most days when he was off asking to do some hours. Great. You're chilling out and get a phone call, problem is they kept on harping on until changes his mind. And threaten his if he refused (cut his hours right down)

Apr 25, 2009 at 10:06 AM Post #39 of 51
NY is working on increasing regulation on teen drivers, including making it against the law to drive while using a cell phone (including hands-free). I applaud this decision. They drive like idiots as it is.

As far as children having mobile phones, I think it would be a wise decision for parents to block all calls to anyone other than family and emergency numbers. There is no other reason for grade school kids to have phones.

Apr 25, 2009 at 4:41 PM Post #40 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by saintalfonzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
NY is working on increasing regulation on teen drivers, including making it against the law to drive while using a cell phone (including hands-free). I applaud this decision. They drive like idiots as it is.

Although I agree that this is a good law for the city to put in place, it should be for everyone. I also think you are overgeneralizing with your comment about teen drivers driving like idiots. I'll have you know that I an a very good, safe driver and NEVER text while driving as mentioned earlier.

Jun 16, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #42 of 51
Quote from Carl Desrocher's book La Vie Avant Tout (translated):
*Parental guide to the perfect little delinquent OR: the Perfect Path to Self-destruction
[...]Give your child a cellphone at 12 years old. It is vital for him to know when your cupcakes will be done.

Jun 17, 2009 at 5:20 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This is kidding stupid, I spotted a kid staring at his mobile whilst peddling on one of those push scooters.

Wow, thats quite impressive actually, although terrible at the same time.

Jun 17, 2009 at 9:34 AM Post #44 of 51
I was allowed to buy myself a nokia on the age of twelve, It was (one of) the first color ones they sold.
After day 2 it has never left my desk and served every day as a watched. i never took it with me to school and only used it when someone wants to reach me where I am, where we need to be,...
Every year I HAVE to put 5 euros on it, else I'll lose my phonenumber because I never charge the credit
tongue.gif
I've got like 50 euros 'callcredit' on the freaking thing and I never use it.

I can understand the fuss about a new ipod or a new videocard. But why do alot of young people buy a new phone every 3 months.
I know someone that refuses to not buy a new phone every 2months or so.

Jun 17, 2009 at 10:50 AM Post #45 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kirosia /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Back in my day, we walked fifteen miles in the snow to get a phone. And there was no texting, we could only leave messages after downing a mug of warm apple cider.

Up hill in both directions right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back