Kicking tires on a tube amp
Jul 30, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #16 of 21
To my ears, tubes create a more enveloping bass. A more fuller, holographic presence. There may be a little decrease in slam depending on the tubes used , but I prefer bass with tubes in the path.

Just my subjective opinion though. Lol
Sigh,
I shouldn't say I'm so confused, but, yeah I am.
I've heard stay away from hybrid tube amps (not because they're bad by any means) due to the fact I already have a Jot. It's almost like having a SS amp with a bit of "tube-ie" sound. I get that. If I want "true" tube sound, get an OTL or non hybrid as I've read and been encouraged.
From what I've read from reviews and what everyone on this site states for the most part, is tube will decrease the bass. I "like" bass. It doesn't have to be a basshead bass but I like clean, deep bass that's fast and where you know it's there. I don't want bleeding into the mids muddying up the sound. Too much mid bass is not a good thing for me as it's not balanced enough. If you're going to overextend on the bass, go deep into the sub bass, not mid or a touch of both.
I don't know of a single place in the Phoenix area where you can try out amps. Plenty of Best Buy's to test drive HP's but not amps. Plus Best Buy?
So I guess that's where the conundrum is.To hybrid or not to hybrid.
I like the looks of the Woo Wa6 but I don't want to spend that kind of money right now. It's not an issue of having the funds as I have other mods and such going on now that's sucking up more and more money. :)

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:29 AM Post #17 of 21
Sigh,
I shouldn't say I'm so confused, but, yeah I am.
I've heard stay away from hybrid tube amps (not because they're bad by any means) due to the fact I already have a Jot. It's almost like having a SS amp with a bit of "tube-ie" sound. I get that. If I want "true" tube sound, get an OTL or non hybrid as I've read and been encouraged.

OK I didn't see that on your sig and in your original post that you already have the Jotunheim. So basically what you want is just a different amp...to have a different sound?

That may sound like a good idea, like having several headphones, but the reality is that, apart from having amps at different locations (ex one amp being portable or transportable) and thus having a back up just in case, there really shouldn't be a reason to have several amplifiers. An amplifier's job is to amplify the input signal with minimal distortion, not alter the sound. That's why it's called an amplifier. As much as amps can sound a little bit different there really is no case to get a new amp that just puts more distortion in the mix, if at least depending on what headphones are hooked up.

Now, if you just dislike the Jotunheim and you're looking for a tube amp to replace it, it's still a smarter choice to get a transformer-coupled tube amplifier. Or even a hybrid, this way its power delivery won't be the same as with an output transformerless amp, and in nearly all cases have a low output impedance.

From what I've read from reviews and what everyone on this site states for the most part, is tube will decrease the bass. I "like" bass. It doesn't have to be a basshead bass but I like clean, deep bass that's fast and where you know it's there. I don't want bleeding into the mids muddying up the sound. Too much mid bass is not a good thing for me as it's not balanced enough. If you're going to overextend on the bass, go deep into the sub bass, not mid or a touch of both.

These are the kind of problems you can encounter with an OTL tube amp driving low impedance headphones. The high output impedance can make low impedance cans sound like tin cans or boost the bass, and the latter thanks to the how some might also roll off the treble end up screwing with the sound too much.

So I guess that's where the conundrum is.To hybrid or not to hybrid.

Bottom line: why do you want a tube amp to begin with? What exactly is it you don't like about your current amp and what are you hoping to achieve?

If you just want it a little bit warmer then get a decent hybrid and try different preamplifier tubes.

Jul 30, 2017 at 10:48 AM Post #18 of 21
OK I didn't see that on your sig and in your original post that you already have the Jotunheim. So basically what you want is just a different amp...to have a different sound?

Yes, but I'm keeping the Jot. I'm looking for a complimentary amp. I also didn't state that I'm pretty much of a noob learning very quickly. I'm sure with your experience, you can see that. :) I'd like to hear what a tube has to offer for the HD 650's (At present, I'm not liking the 650's versus the rest and I "used" to love these) and the M1060's. Not so much with T5p's and THX PH's, which still would be interesting. I'm still trying to figure out what I like. IMO, I have a pretty wide scope of mid-fi HP's (minus the T5p's) and want to play around. Hell, I'm pad rolling already and did a small mod on the 1060's) and trying to figure out what sounds good and what doesn't.

That may sound like a good idea, like having several headphones, but the reality is that, apart from having amps at different locations (ex one amp being portable or transportable) and thus having a back up just in case, there really shouldn't be a reason to have several amplifiers. An amplifier's job is to amplify the input signal with minimal distortion, not alter the sound. That's why it's called an amplifier. As much as amps can sound a little bit different there really is no case to get a new amp that just puts more distortion in the mix, if at least depending on what headphones are hooked up.

Makes sense man. You're enlightening me.

Now, if you just dislike the Jotunheim and you're looking for a tube amp to replace it, it's still a smarter choice to get a transformer-coupled tube amplifier. Or even a hybrid, this way its power delivery won't be the same as with an output transformerless amp, and in nearly all cases have a low output impedance.

I "love" the Jot. It's powerful, clean, detailed, but a little bright which in all reality should pair well with the 2 high impedance HP's.

These are the kind of problems you can encounter with an OTL tube amp driving low impedance headphones. The high output impedance can make low impedance cans sound like tin cans or boost the bass, and the latter thanks to the how some might also roll off the treble end up screwing with the sound too much.

Understood.

Bottom line: why do you want a tube amp to begin with? What exactly is it you don't like about your current amp and what are you hoping to achieve?

I love the Jot. As stated above, just figuring things out. I know it's a cost.

If you just want it a little bit warmer then get a decent hybrid and try different preamplifier tubes.

Duly noted and kept under strong advisement. I appreciate all your feedback

Last edited:
Jul 30, 2017 at 10:53 AM Post #19 of 21

LOL. I can't even multi quote. I screwed up my responses. Open the above response (click to expand) as I rigged it on what I wrote. Sorry about that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back